Anybody out there?

Old July 21st 03, 04:16 PM
Dave Harsant

Default Anybody out there?

"Richard Henry" wrote in message
news:0_GSa.1230$Ye.601@fed1read02...

"Terd Fartingmor" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:04:36 -0700, "Richard Henry"
wrote this crap:

"Walt" wrote in message

Our first monitor was 9" b&w and I think it was under $100.
Pitiful.

You had a monitor? Such luxury! I did all my early
programming on a DEC writer.

My first timesharing account was on a teletype.

Luckily, by the end of the semester the college had put in a room

full
of crt/keyboard dumb monitors.

I could only dream of such luxury! I had to use puchcards!

Do you know how hard it was playing "Star Trek" with punchcards?

I remember checkers on the teletype.

We used to dream of having a teletype!

Old July 27th 03, 06:04 AM
Yort

Default Old computer stuff (was Anybody out there?)

wrote this crap:

Luckily, by the end of the semester the college had put in a room full
of crt/keyboard dumb monitors.

I could only dream of such luxury! I had to use puchcards

I have a Pascal compiler for an IBM360 on punch cards; supplied to me by
Nicklaus Wirth his-very-own-self, no less.

Wuss.

You're talking about seriously advanced 1969 technology. Viva 360
JCL, and may it RIP.

If I rooted around in my basement for an hour, I could probably dig up
a roll of the punch paper tape that contained the bootstrap loader for
a 1963 vintage CDC-160a.

For those that weren't around back then, to fire up this machine, you
first had to set a panel full of switches. This allowed the punch
paper tape reader to work and route its output to the appropriate
places. Next, you read in the paper tape. The way we had it
configured, this then allowed the card reader to function, which in
turn allowed us to read more of the OS and allowed a mag tape to be
read which contained the rest of the OS. Of course, there wasn't
actually all that much to load since the total system memory was only
something like 8k.

Ah, those were the days .. .

Me