Warped boot sole?

Old August 11th 13, 02:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Warped boot sole?

Just got a pair of Alpina SSK skate boots to replace my old and worn Rossi X6. Generally liked the boot but noticed it didn't want to stay close to the binding. I put the boot into the binding without wearing it to see what's what. With the roller ski just sitting there (I wasn't even testing for wheel hang at that point), the heel of the boot stayed up about a quarter of an inch from the binding. This was puzzling because my old pair of Rossis always made perfect contact with the heel plate. Also, I noticed that Alpina's heel was uneven - kind of tapering off towards the back of the boot, so the two back "teeth" of the heel would never touch the binding even under my weight.

So, I have a suspicion that the sole is somehow warped and I'm puzzled by the shape of the heel. It's also weird that both boots are like that, so it's hard to say for sure it's a defect. Anybody seen anything like that?

Thanks!
Old August 19th 13, 10:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Heel up is not unusual in my experience, though I don't know if it's
supposed to be. No question you should be able to clip in by hand with
a little pressure. These boots don't come from Nordic Skater, do they?

Gene

Old August 20th 13, 02:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

No, I got them from Amazon (and they sourced it from some other shop). Already returned that pair. Nordic Skater tends to be very expensive for anything other than roller ski parts. Although maybe their soles are straight
Old August 20th 13, 03:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

If it's the same Amazon listing, the boots either came from Alpina U.S.
or backcountry.com (link below). If they came from Alpina, or even if
they didn't, did you give them a call to discuss the matter?
http://alpinasportsus.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Alpina-Sport-S.../dp/B009SGHFDW

Sometimes store owners are, shall we way, very idiosyncratic in their
behavior. Nordic Skater is not one of my first line shopping stops.
That's why I wanted to check.

Gene

Old August 20th 13, 12:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Actually, I did call Alpina to find out if the sole was convex by design. They called me back after pulling a couple of pairs and said theirs were straight. So I got rid of that pair, which is a bummer because I've gone through two Rossis (X8 and X10 - both had a funny fit where the toe hurts but the heel is loose), an Alpina RSK (which is supposedly a notch up from SSK but felt very soft in comparison) and another pair of SSKs which, though the same size, was too small even on my smaller foot. I'm kind of sick of the whole thing but afraid that my old boots may give out soon. The zippers are falling apart already.

There's also Alpina SXT which looks a lot like SSK but has a rachet cuff rather than a velcro. However, the only place that sells them doesn't have my size.
Old August 20th 13, 02:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I'm now missing what the problem is, other than that you need new
boots. Wouldn't Alpina's straight pairs work for you? I'm wondering
if the underlying problem is that you are trying to get third line
boots to meet the demands that the top lines are better fit to handle.
That works with classical rollerskiing, actually even better because of
the cuff support (combi), but it's trickier with skates.

Gene

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 05:24:26 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

Actually, I did call Alpina to find out if the sole was convex by
design. They called me back after pulling a couple of pairs and said
theirs were straight. So I got rid of that pair, which is a bummer
because I've gone through two Rossis (X8 and X10 - both had a funny
fit where the toe hurts but the heel is loose), an Alpina RSK (which
is supposedly a notch up from SSK but felt very soft in comparison)
and another pair of SSKs which, though the same size, was too small
even on my smaller foot. I'm kind of sick of the whole thing but
afraid that my old boots may give out soon. The zippers are falling
apart already.

There's also Alpina SXT which looks a lot like SSK but has a rachet
cuff rather than a velcro. However, the only place that sells them
doesn't have my size.

Volkl T-Rock mid-chord? or mid-sole mount? Cruiser Joe Backcountry Skiing 8 September 25th 07 09:51 PM
S-Lab boot on/off? John Forrest Tomlinson Nordic Skiing 5 April 27th 07 09:46 AM
Boot fit JQ Alpine Skiing 6 November 25th 06 12:08 PM
Binding Canting and Sole Planing in XC? jtorr Nordic Skiing 2 March 30th 05 05:07 AM
AT Boot fit Ryan Pfleger Backcountry Skiing 1 December 27th 03 07:39 PM