As long as we're on the subject (board suggestions)

Old October 5th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
nicotine

Default As long as we're on the subject (board suggestions)

Greetings!

First off, I'd like to say thanks to all the readers/posters of this
board that lead me to purchase my first snowboard, a Donek Wide 165.
That was two years ago, and things have changed slightly since then.
Back when I purchased the Donek, I was 5'10", and weighed 250+lbs with
a size 10 US boot. Well, I'm still 5'10" with a size 10 boot, but I'm
down around 180lbs now, and I'm worried about the affect that this
will have on my ability to control my current board.

I've been riding for around 3 seasons now, and consider myself to be a
competent on-piste rider -- although I just started doing black
diamonds in Tahoe last season (so I'm not an expert by any means).
I'm mostly an all-mountain type rider (I spend 80%+ of my time on
marked trails), but might be looking to spend some time in a park
doing jumps in the upcoming season.

Are my thoughts regarding my old Wide 165 unfounded? Will I have
issues with it, or am I still within recommended weight specs for it?
If I were to decide to get a new setup, what board/binding suggestions
might you all have given the above riding profile?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/feedback.

nicotine

Old October 5th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bas Mevissen

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 20:07:08 +0000, nicotine wrote:

First off, I'd like to say thanks to all the readers/posters of this
board that lead me to purchase my first snowboard, a Donek Wide 165.
That was two years ago, and things have changed slightly since then.
Back when I purchased the Donek, I was 5'10", and weighed 250+lbs with a
size 10 US boot. Well, I'm still 5'10" with a size 10 boot, but I'm
down around 180lbs now, and I'm worried about the affect that this will
have on my ability to control my current board.

Well, I'm 193cm and 85kg and have a Nitro Magnum wide board of 165cm
length. It's fine with me for mostly all-mountain riding and some
occasional park (since only recently). For real carving and high speed
riding, I should chosse a 168 one. But because I also use it a lot indoor,

So I would not worry too much about the board. You are a bit smaller than
I, but the weight is almost the same. Maybe, if you would buy a new one,
you could buy a non-wide of about the same length. Then you keep this one
for loose powder :-)

--
Bas.
Old October 13th 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

In article . com,
nicotine wrote:

Greetings!

First off, I'd like to say thanks to all the readers/posters of this
board that lead me to purchase my first snowboard, a Donek Wide 165.
That was two years ago, and things have changed slightly since then.
Back when I purchased the Donek, I was 5'10", and weighed 250+lbs with
a size 10 US boot. Well, I'm still 5'10" with a size 10 boot, but I'm
down around 180lbs now, and I'm worried about the affect that this
will have on my ability to control my current board.

For comparison (did I answer this yet?) - I am 5'9" and ~155lbs., size 9
feet. Not sure how much the Donek weighs, nor how wide exactly, but I
ride a Santa Cruz 164W (for "wide" of course), among other boards. It
is not too light, but super responsive edge to edge, way more than I
thought it would be. I usually ride long-ish boards for my size (158 -
162-ish). This board is so stable at high speed, packed or powder, on
piste, off piste, good on landing after hits, carves beautifully, etc.
If you could ride the board at 250lbs., you should be able to ride it
even better at 180lbs., IMO.

I've been riding for around 3 seasons now, and consider myself to be a
competent on-piste rider -- although I just started doing black
diamonds in Tahoe last season (so I'm not an expert by any means).
I'm mostly an all-mountain type rider (I spend 80%+ of my time on
marked trails), but might be looking to spend some time in a park
doing jumps in the upcoming season.

Been to Squaw Valley a few times. I'm jealeous!

I, too, ride probably 90 percent freeride, and only small amount of time
in park. Used to do park more with shorter boards (155-ish cm) -- mostly
just the hits...I suck at halfpipe. I still go in the park with the big
Santa Cruz. Table tops and gaps are no problem (no spins, that's not my
things, just indy grab, etc.). I really prefer the freeriding though,
and natural hits.

Are my thoughts regarding my old Wide 165 unfounded? Will I have
issues with it, or am I still within recommended weight specs for it?
If I were to decide to get a new setup, what board/binding suggestions
might you all have given the above riding profile?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/feedback.

nicotine

If you now feel that the 165 is might be cumbersome (and I'd hang onto
it...), maybe a 162 like the Burton SuperModel or similar, maybe a 158?
You can switch your binding back and forth (I do that with my old Burton
155 A.deck...among others....still going strong, amazingly! I take very
good care of my boards).

Hope this helps.

Happy riding,

-jw