strap-ons

Old December 19th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
KENT

Default strap-ons

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I think I'll just try some other
brands.
To answer some of your questions:
We have 50 acres of beautiful, wooded, hilly land here in southern Michigan.
I haven't figured out something to groom trails yet, so we're making trails
as we ski. I like to ski this way. Groomed trails would probably be nice
but, since I'm not very good at this yet, I like the deep snow to keep me
from going too fast. Especially on the hills!!
I'm 54 yrs. young, so going fast is not fun any more.
I think the boots fit about right. Apparently just not quite the right shape
for my feet.
I'm looking forward to spending some time here with all of you. The more I
learn, the more fun it will be. LOL!!
Maybe someday I'll even be able to stop and turn!!!
You all can probably visualize a slightly over-weight 54 yr. old that has
never skied before last year. I could charge admission!!
Later, Bill

Old December 20th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Eugene Miya

In article ,
VtSkier wrote:
Booker Bense wrote:
In article ,
dardruba wrote:
I've no idea what the military use these days but I presume they must have a
binding which grips a walking/working boot.
If so that should work on your boots.

I believe it's called a NATO binding for obvious

There are 2 different NATOs.

There is also a US military binding made by Ramer
(I think that's the manufacturer). They sometimes

Paul died a few years back.
His daughter was considering trying to revive his father's IP with a
vendor but she has been silent for a fair number of years.
Some people would simple prefer Paul's poles.

They are also the heavy duty issue binding by the US Antarctic Program.

The Ramer bindings look like they can be made to fit
most anything. They were the binding of choice for
alpine touring 30 years ago. There was an article
in Powder last year about some early alpine touring
(1970's) and the gear they were using was mountaineering
boots, long skis and military bindings.

There are others. I've owned 2 different Ramer pair (one might be
hanging in Neptune in Boulder) and skied 2 addition early and later variations.
I still have one which I've had mounted on my work skis
(waiting for either a Chile trip, a Greenland trip, Alaska or
local steep serious ski).

Some National Guard units still use the old Silveretta rat trip.
I know Harlin skis them.

Heavy weight stuff to be sure, but might suit your
needs in the binding department as least.

Not tuned as good as a real Alpine or a real Nordic but gets the job done.
It just created blisters in a different area.

It's nice having release.

Old December 20th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Trailpatrol

On Dec 18, 4:28 pm, (Eugene Miya) wrote:
I can't believe I'm the only one that gets sore feet from ski boots. So, I'm
serious. Looking for serious responses.

That's lots of people.

Will Steger, the guys who did ski circuses to both Poles and lives in
MN made some sort of plastic binding for use with his mukluks, but don't
expect much kick and glide. I tried them once years ago because they
were around, but I preferred my 75 mm set up, and I didn't get blisters or
cold feet.

Those bindings are called Berwin Backcountry Bindings. They were
originally made by Bill and Gene Prater's Sherpa snowshoe company, so
sometimes you'll hear (or see, if you have the old tan model) them
called Sherpa bindings. Now they are made and distributed by Akers
Cross-County Ski Shop in Andover, ME. (http://www.akers-ski.com/) The
new, blue ones are pretty bomb-proof. Avoid the late 1990's black
model. They had a well-deserved repuation for breaking under the ball
of the foot.

I use them with either mukluks or Sorel lace-up winter boots (NOT
pacs!) on a pair of Trak Bushwacker II skis. I have been using them
since they came out, and they are very comfortable. I don't have the
strongest ankles in the world, particularly on the left side, but I
never have any problems with mukluks and the Berwin/Bushwacker combo.
I can switch back and forth between skis and snowshoes and not change
footwear, which is a nice convenience.

All that being said, I agree with those who suggest trying a different
boot. I have a pair of Karhu Converts, which are a strong backcountry,
3-pin boot, which I actually wear the majority of the time I am
skiing. I find they help to keep the afore-mentioned left ankle and
fallen arches in place nicely when skiing for extended tours. To me,
that justifies the extra weight. I also have a pair of strictly
recreational 3-pin Alpha boots that I bought on a ski trip to the U.P.
of Michigan, when the toe broke off my old LL Bean ski boots. They are
warm and comfortable, but I can't use them for ski patrol or search
and rescue.

I have a pair of old Army skis with Ramer cable bindings on them.
Great, bomb-proof (literally, I think) binding, which also work with
my Converts. But I don't think your problem is the binding. Check out
some new boots, wear the socks you will wear when you ski. I am sure,
with the help of a knowlegable ski shop, you should be able to
eliminate the pain problem.

Ski safe,
Hans Erdman, WEMT
Backcountry Trail Patrol, MN
www.trailpatrol.org
www.wintersnowtrails.org

Strap on bindings? KENT Nordic Skiing 9 December 19th 07 01:55 PM
Strap binding durability? Paul Snowboarding 9 January 27th 04 11:11 PM
technie toe strap some dude Snowboarding 0 January 11th 04 07:45 PM
Strap Creep Justin F. Knotzke Nordic Skiing 7 January 8th 04 12:37 AM
A strap is a strap Anders Lustig Nordic Skiing 10 December 19th 03 04:23 PM