It's Starting....

Old September 9th 03, 03:18 PM
pigo

Default It's Starting....

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SALT LAKE CITY UT
836 AM MDT TUE SEP 9 2003
.... A TASTE OF AUTUMN MOVING IN TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...

A COLD PACIFIC STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE ACROSS THE INTERMOUNTAIN REGION
TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY. THIS STORM WILL PRODUCE WIDESPREAD
PRECIPITATION ACROSS THE NORTHERN HALF OF UTAH... SOUTHERN IDAHO AND
EXTREME SOUTHWEST WYOMING. ALONG WITH THE PRECIPITATION THIS SYSTEM WILL
BRING MUCH COOLER TEMPERATURES TO THE AREA WITH DAYTIME HIGHS IN THE 50S
IN THE NORTH AND 60S AND 70S IN THE SOUTH... EXCEPT 80S IN DIXIE.

THIS STORM IS EXPECTED TO BE COLD ENOUGH TO PRODUCE AT LEAST SEVERAL
INCHES OF SNOW OVER THE MOUNTAINS OF NORTHERN UTAH AND SOUTHERN IDAHO
ABOVE 9000 FEET TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY. SNOW COULD MIX IN WITH THE RAIN
DOWN TO 7000 FEET. PERSONS PLANNING OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES IN THE AFFECTED
AREA SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR THIS MUCH COOLER AND WET WEATHER. STAY TUNED
TO YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OF WEATHER INFORMATION FOR THE LATEST UPDATES.

For some reason I've been expecting a cold wet winter. It's been some
time since we've had anything on that side of the average.

I don't have anything other than 23 years here to account for my
feeling. There have been quite a few fires this year. Perhaps enough to
cool the atmosphere. It was a *****ING* hot summer too.

To my regular x-mas visitor (you know who you are) we could be into some
powder days this time. If we can just get rid of the wind! Of course you
do have some goggles now :-) .

pigo

Old September 10th 03, 12:20 AM
AstroPax

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:18:50 -0600, "pigo"
wrote:

I don't have anything other than 23 years here to account for my
feeling.

Pigo,

I hope your instincts are correct.

I look at it this way, all that evaporated water has to come back down
sometime, right?

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/users/hound/...3-04/index.htm
---

Old September 10th 03, 12:52 AM
AstroPax

wrote:

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

And...

....as of 400 PM MDT TUE SEP 9 2003, The Oootah Area Forecast
Discussion says...

quoteTHE PEAKS OF THE WASATCH FRONT COULD EASILY SEE 6-10
INCHES, BUT THAT WILL BE THE PEAKS./quote

quoteROLLER COASTER WEATHER AHEAD. JUMP ON BOARD FOR THE
RIDE!/quote

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Saltlake/forecast/AFD.shtml

I just love instability, weather wise.

-Astro

Old September 10th 03, 02:08 PM
pigo

"AstroPax" wrote in message

I just love instability, weather wise.

-Astro

You've got a point there. Maybe that's why we've been doing such a good
job of dealing with it here lately.

pigo

Old September 10th 03, 03:57 PM
klaus

AstroPax wrote:

quoteTHE PEAKS OF THE WASATCH FRONT COULD EASILY SEE 6-10
INCHES, BUT THAT WILL BE THE PEAKS./quote

quoteROLLER COASTER WEATHER AHEAD. JUMP ON BOARD FOR THE
RIDE!/quote

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Saltlake/forecast/AFD.shtml

I just love instability, weather wise.

I had two inches at my house this morning. 30 degrees F. Last snowfall
was June twenty-something.... it's been 2 1/2 months... kinda a short
spring/summer/fall.

-klaus

Old September 10th 03, 04:16 PM
AstroPax

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:57:55 +0000 (UTC), klaus
wrote:

I had two inches at my house this morning. 30 degrees F. Last snowfall
was June twenty-something.... it's been 2 1/2 months... kinda a short
spring/summer/fall.

I just read an article where the National Weather Service is
predicting that the next three months will be drier and warmer than
normal.

So, it will probably be colder and wetter than normal.

-Astro

---

Old September 10th 03, 04:23 PM
pigo

"klaus" wrote in message
AstroPax wrote:

quoteTHE PEAKS OF THE WASATCH FRONT COULD EASILY SEE 6-10
INCHES, BUT THAT WILL BE THE PEAKS./quote

quoteROLLER COASTER WEATHER AHEAD. JUMP ON BOARD FOR THE
RIDE!/quote

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Saltlake/forecast/AFD.shtml

I just love instability, weather wise.

I had two inches at my house this morning. 30 degrees F.

That's what happens when it's cold !

Old September 10th 03, 04:25 PM
klaus

AstroPax wrote:
I just read an article where the National Weather Service is
predicting that the next three months will be drier and warmer than
normal.

So, it will probably be colder and wetter than normal.

I just hope we don't get the "early dumps then nothing" syndrom. I'm
*really* tired of life threatening snow stability. I want to ski the
fun stuff this year, without risking certain death.

-klaus

Old September 10th 03, 04:27 PM
Richard Henry

news
wrote:

I had two inches at my house this morning. 30 degrees F. Last snowfall
was June twenty-something.... it's been 2 1/2 months... kinda a short
spring/summer/fall.

I just read an article where the National Weather Service is
predicting that the next three months will be drier and warmer than
normal.

So, it will probably be colder and wetter than normal.

Here in San Diego hills we had a thunder shower last week, That made our
summer wetter than normal all by itself.

I turned off the sprinklers for 5 days.

BTW, I saw a note recently here about the evaporation losses on Lake Powell.
The water is not evaporating that much. After it passes through a couple of
turbines to generate enough electricity so I an read newsgroups, it runs
through a pipe so I can sprinkle it on my lawn.

Old September 10th 03, 05:05 PM
AstroPax

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:27:38 -0700, "Richard Henry"
wrote:

After it passes through a couple of
turbines to generate enough electricity so I an read newsgroups, it runs
through a pipe so I can sprinkle it on my lawn.

Actually, Glen Canyon Dam has more than a "couple" of turbines.

It has a total of eight turbines with a maximum combined discharge
capacity of 33,200 cfs when the lake is full.

I wonder what the maximum combined discharge capacity of all the
sprinklers in California is.

Anyway, the eight turbine intakes are visible in the following pic
that I shot last year (165kb jpeg):

http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro...canyon_001.jpg

-Astro