warm gloves: opinions on Swany sx-15 x-over glove?

Old December 8th 04, 10:46 PM
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:

Do you have my *real* email? It's at another place.

Popped off an email with contact info...

Old December 8th 04, 11:15 PM
bdubya

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 20:51:47 -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama"
wrote:

This thread's so ramified I don't know where to jump in, so here's my
2 comments:

- Leather, as noted, absorbs water. Even if you treat it, it'll tend
to absorb moisture from your hands, and to keep it. Not good,
especially when you put the gloves back on after having them off for a
meal or whatever. If the combination of a waterproof/breathable (i.e
goretex) shell, a good fleece insulating layer (either built-in or
separate), and a thin polypro or silk glove liner under that doesn't
do it for you, you need to consider either mittens or glove heaters.
(This is assuming that you're already wearing a nice warm hat or
helmet; if you're not, then we need a separate thread about your
priorities.....)

-As far as support for your upstairs region, if you can't find a good
wicking sports model, I almost hate to point it out (not), but silk
makes for a pretty good wicking layer, and it's available in a wide
variety of styles. I've known at least a few women who ski in rather
ornate examples, just because they wick well and fit well. YMMV, of
course (for certain values of "M").

bw

Old December 9th 04, 01:03 AM
Lisa Horton

wrote:

[...]

What about plain old nylon/spandex type stuff, is that considered "good"
for cold weather? Seems to work okay for me, but I'm always open for
improvements.

Lisa

Old December 9th 04, 01:04 AM
Dave_in_Spokane

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I don't get it. And my brain is usually keyed to innuendo pretty well.

Perhaps one of best known ski posters of all time:

One for sale at:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ayphotohosting

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?S4D731AF9

wish I'd have kept the one I had

--

Dave in Spokane

Old December 9th 04, 03:07 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-09, Dave_in_Spokane penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I don't get it. And my brain is usually keyed to innuendo pretty well.

Perhaps one of best known ski posters of all time:

One for sale at:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ayphotohosting

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?S4D731AF9

wish I'd have kept the one I had

Ahh. Thanks. I figured it was something like that, but I don't think of tips
as having quite that meaning ...

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 9th 04, 06:22 AM
Janet

Dave M wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

snip

My body and head are not typically cold -- it's just my fingers and
toes.

As a final resort you could try boot heaters - not too expensive, and
some
folks swear by them.

Definitely a possibility I'll be exploring next week, when I look at new
boots.

You might consider the boots that have the heating elements built into
the liner rather than the after market HotFeet type product. The liner
option gives you more heat all over rather than just on the bottom of
your foot which is not where the bloodflow is coming from anyway. Plus,
the ones that my wife bought have a nifty car lighter adapter that lets
her heat them up on the way up the hill since she regularly forgets to
plug them in the night before. There is an AC adapter also sp she can
plug them in at luch on the really cold days -- assuming that it wasn;t
a stupid El Ni~no year with no winter at all and certainly no snow (shut
up, Utah).

Also, make sure that the boot fitter checks for boot pressure over those
spots where you should feel your pedal pulse most strongly like on top
of your foot, right above the arch -- but she/he/it should do that anyway.

Dave M.

My Hubby always had a problem with his feet getting cold until I bought
him the Hottronix boot warmers. They have a footbed that goes into the
boot which contains the warming element. He found he only has to keep
them on low the entire day and his feet stay warm (occasionally moving
them to another setting for part of a really cold day). The trick with
these is to turn them on low just before going out for the first lift
ride of the day - don't wait until your feet get cold to use them, then
it takes too long to warm up.

Janet

Old December 9th 04, 02:42 PM

Ah, the dreaded "Gaper's Gap". It helps if your goggles mesh with your
helmet, but even then you can still have a gap. On really cold days, I
will sometimes put a piece of tape along the top of my goggles, then
fold it over (as opposed to sticking it to the helmet) so that it
sticks up above the goggles. It doesn't form a seal, but redirects the
airflow enough to keep my forehead from freezing. Looks kind of goofy,
but seeing as how I also put a band-aid over my nose on cold days to
ward off frostbite, looks obviously aren't my main concern. I haven't
worked up to putting duct tape on my cheeks, like some junior racers I
saw at Jackson Hole a few years back.

I also have problems with cold hands. My feet do better now that I've
stopped trying to tighten my boots as the day goes on. For my hands, I
have a pair of Marmot Gore-Tex shell gloves with gauntlets. I wear
those over poly-fleece gloves, with wicking liners as needed. I've
only had a couple of times when that wasn't enough. Once my hands do
get too cold, I'm forced to go inside and stick them under the blow
dryers in the bathrooms. Haven't tried the hand warmers. For years, I
always carried a pack of them with me, but when I finally tried to use
them, they had expired and were worthless.

P.S. I'm not sure I like this new beta Google thing, the first time I
tried to post it lost my stuff while I was cutting out some of the
previous quoted posts. Now it doesn't show any included post stuff.

Old December 9th 04, 04:17 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-08, Dave M penned:

Apparently this is the same idea as taking aspirin on trans-Atlantic flights
to prevent the deep vein thrombosis or some such. For skiing and flying she
takes a normal dose (two or maybe three but I'll ask) on the way up the hill
in the morning (or on the way to the airport) and claims that it should
help.

Sounds good. A lot of people take aspirin every day for heart conditions and
such, so one every ski day should be no problem.

Except ... I usually try to put off joint and muscle pain by taking some aleve
before I ski, too. I wonder if it's a good idea to take both.

Oh, you meant the whiskey -- of course. Start with one shot of the Irish in
your coffee in the morning (decaf is best as noted but wholly unreasonable
from my perspective) and titrate up from there throughout the day. HTH

I'm a lightweight when it comes to holding my liquor, so I'm thinking that's
not the best option for me =/

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 9th 04, 04:32 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-08, Dave M penned:

You might consider the boots that have the heating elements built into the
liner rather than the after market HotFeet type product. The liner option
gives you more heat all over rather than just on the bottom of your foot
which is not where the bloodflow is coming from anyway.

Heating is definitely one option I'll be exploring. Unfortunately, my history
of getting boots that fit my feet well hasn't been so hot, so it's quite
possible I won't be able to get ones with built-in heating. I'll just have to
see how it goes.

Also, make sure that the boot fitter checks for boot pressure over those
spots where you should feel your pedal pulse most strongly like on top of
your foot, right above the arch -- but she/he/it should do that anyway.

I never thought about this. How do you check for boot pressure there? It's
not like they can reach in and feel the gap, right?

Also, what do you mean by the term "pedal pulse"?

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 9th 04, 04:32 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-09, Janet penned:

My Hubby always had a problem with his feet getting cold until I bought him
the Hottronix boot warmers. They have a footbed that goes into the boot
which contains the warming element.

Does that mean you can't get a custom footbed if you use them?

--
monique
Longmont, CO