Utah Heliskiing

Old February 18th 05, 08:08 PM
Schmoe

Default Utah Heliskiing

Awhile back I posted here looking for some info on heliskiing in Utah. As
commonly occurs in usenet, a flamewar proceeded which turned into a nice,
long thread which seem to annoy a couple of fake tree huggers a great deal.

Anyway, just got back from heliskiing in Utah as well as Snowbird/Alta. The
heliskiing was fantastic, had the best of times with the nicest of people.

I did not see any pseudo environmental skiiers mooning us as we flew over
while hiking up a ridge. The flamers promised I would but I guess it was
their off week. I did not get any attitude from anyone at the resorts about
the endeavor.

It was a completely super experience and will definitey recommend it to
others and will do it again. Wasatch Powderbirds is a very well run
operation with a penchant for the Grateful Dead which suits me perfectly.
Also, loved Alta & Snowbird both. Alta for the hikes up to the Greeley area
and Snowbird for Mineral Basin. Really enjoyed both. We stayed in Park City
for the restaurants and that worked out real well. It's amazing how short a
drive it is in & out of the canyon areas.

Old February 18th 05, 09:33 PM
Schmoe

Kurt Knisely wrote:

'Glad you had a good time

Not good, GREAT!

, contributed to the local economy

Drop in the bucket. It's all relative.

and didn't die in an avalanche.

Nah, I won't get that lucky.

Let us know when you want to go do some real skiing.

After 27 years of skiing around the world, I'm fairly certain how to find
the 'real' skiing. I don't mind hiking a good ridge for some fine fresh (and
did plenty of that at Alta) but the heliskiing experience was the balls for
sure.

Old February 18th 05, 10:42 PM
BoftheW

In article , Schmoe says...

After 27 years of skiing around the world, I'm fairly certain how to find
the 'real' skiing. I don't mind hiking a good ridge for some fine fresh (and
did plenty of that at Alta) but the heliskiing experience was the balls for
sure.

No, I'm pretty certain you don't know how to find the 'real' skiing. If you've
spent your entire time skiing IB and the occaisional hike, then went with a
death machine to the easy **** they serve up, then you don't know how to find
the 'real' skiing.

Old February 18th 05, 11:16 PM
pigo

"Schmoe" wrote in message

After 27 years of skiing around the world, I'm fairly certain how
to find the 'real' skiing. I don't mind hiking a good ridge for
some fine fresh (and did plenty of that at Alta) but the heliskiing
experience was the balls for sure.

Glad to hear you had a good time. And to think you didn't have to ask
the local snobs if you were having fun.

Old February 19th 05, 12:12 AM
lal_truckee

Kurt Knisely wrote:

I know 70 year olds who skin up and ski where the Powderturds drop you off.
Real exciting stuff there...

Looking forward to it...won't be long now.

How about in a couple of weeks, even if I'm a decade short?
Old February 19th 05, 12:15 AM
Schmoe

BoftheW wrote:
In article , Schmoe says...

After 27 years of skiing around the world, I'm fairly certain how to
find the 'real' skiing. I don't mind hiking a good ridge for some
fine fresh (and did plenty of that at Alta) but the heliskiing
experience was the balls for sure.

No, I'm pretty certain you don't know how to find the 'real' skiing.
If you've spent your entire time skiing IB and the occaisional hike,
then went with a death machine to the easy **** they serve up, then
you don't know how to find the 'real' skiing.

Hey, I've skied it all and enjoy every terrain type, no need to be a snob
about what you think is 'real' skiing. But you're really missing out. If ya
havn't tried the heli, you should! it's awesome fun. And that ain't no death
machine. I'm here to prove it! I'm also a pilot so copters don't bother me.
I don't need to spend an entire day hiking just for 4k' vertical total.
That's not skiing, that's just hiking. But it's all good. Whatever suits yer
fancy, do it. But that heliskiing sure is a blast!

Old February 19th 05, 12:17 AM
Schmoe

pigo wrote:
"Schmoe" wrote in message

After 27 years of skiing around the world, I'm fairly certain how
to find the 'real' skiing. I don't mind hiking a good ridge for
some fine fresh (and did plenty of that at Alta) but the heliskiing
experience was the balls for sure.

Glad to hear you had a good time. And to think you didn't have to ask
the local snobs if you were having fun.

I stayed away from the local snobs for the most part (except dinner at
Stein's, can't help it, it's good food). Met some real nice locals while
hiking IB & OB at Snowbird & Alta. Hell, who do ya think showed me how best
to get back IB? I didn't have to ask anyone if I was having fun, the grin
told the tale.

Old February 19th 05, 04:11 PM
Gumby

Schmoe wrote:
Kurt Knisely wrote:

'Glad you had a good time

Not good, GREAT!

, contributed to the local economy

Drop in the bucket. It's all relative.

and didn't die in an avalanche.

Nah, I won't get that lucky.

Let us know when you want to go do some real skiing.

After 27 years of skiing around the world, I'm fairly certain how to
find the 'real' skiing. I don't mind hiking a good ridge for some
fine fresh (and did plenty of that at Alta) but the heliskiing
experience was the balls for sure.

I skied once with them but only for a day. It was pretty cool I must say.
Very expensive as I recall but I would do it again. We did some pretty tough
stuff (I'm only an upper intermediate or so) but I handled it ok.

--
I'm Gumby dammit!

Old February 19th 05, 06:10 PM
BoftheW

In article , Schmoe says...

BoftheW wrote:
In article , Schmoe says...

Hey, I've skied it all and enjoy every terrain type, no need to be a snob
about what you think is 'real' skiing. But you're really missing out. If ya
havn't tried the heli, you should! it's awesome fun. And that ain't no death
machine. I'm here to prove it! I'm also a pilot so copters don't bother me.
I don't need to spend an entire day hiking just for 4k' vertical total.
That's not skiing, that's just hiking. But it's all good. Whatever suits yer
fancy, do it. But that heliskiing sure is a blast!

Just ask Frank Wells and Craig Badami how safe those death traps are. I saw the
latter one crash and I can attest to you that they are *NOT* safe.

Old February 19th 05, 07:17 PM
Schmoe

BoftheW wrote:
In article , Schmoe says...

Just ask Frank Wells and Craig Badami how safe those death traps are.
I saw the latter one crash and I can attest to you that they are
*NOT* safe.

Nah, that's silly. Statistical likelihood of a fair weather accident is
minimal. Look it up relative to the hours flown. And I don't know who
Mssgrs. Wells & Badami are or were (as the case may be). Anyway, everyone's
gotta go sometime and that would be doing something I love. Beats a hospital
bed everytime.

Utah Heliskiing Schmoe Alpine Skiing 176 December 16th 04 04:47 PM
TR Utah visit Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 5 February 3rd 04 06:23 PM
Utah in February... can't spend a lot! Brian Cohen Alpine Skiing 0 January 26th 04 12:25 AM
Search Resumes for 3 Utah Snowboarders i n k Snowboarding 0 December 27th 03 05:55 PM
Ski Utah! [email protected] North American Ski Resorts 1 September 13th 03 01:19 PM