President's day crowds?

Old February 16th 05, 02:23 PM
snoig

Default President's day crowds?

"auser" wrote in message
I'm heading out to CO (probably Keystone) on Sunday and will ski on
Monday (President's day). Should I expect it to be crowded and lift
lines to be long?

This is my first trip out west. I'm trying to board on the weekdays
because I want a good experience. If President's day is a mess I will
put my trip off for 1 week.

I won't be skiing on Sat/Sun but in general what can I expect on
President's Day (next Monday) at the Resorts around Denver?

Thanks

One of the busiest days of the year. You can expect long lines. To get in
the most skiing, get there when the lifts open, it wont get crowded till
about 10. Bring your lunch and try to be skiing while everyone else is
eating lunch. My advice would be go to Loveland since they have a small
parking lot so it limits the number of skiers.

snoig

Old February 16th 05, 07:37 PM
Sam Seiber

snoig wrote:
eating lunch. My advice would be go to Loveland since they have a small
parking lot so it limits the number of skiers.

snoig

Ahh, nuts, did you have to tell him about *my* area? I don't mention
your area. Lets tell him to go to Vail.

Sam "I ski Ybirynaq" Seiber
Old February 16th 05, 10:45 PM
snoig

"Sam Seiber" wrote in message
snoig wrote:
eating lunch. My advice would be go to Loveland since they have a small
parking lot so it limits the number of skiers.

snoig

Ahh, nuts, did you have to tell him about *my* area? I don't mention
your area. Lets tell him to go to Vail.

Sam "I ski Ybirynaq" Seiber

Come on Sam, are you really nuts enough to ski on Presidents Day weekend?
If you want to avoid the crowds, you're welcome to join me. I can guarantee
freshies and no crowds. Just bring your snowshoes or skins.

snoig

Old February 16th 05, 10:55 PM
bdubya

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:45:29 -0700, "snoig" wrote:

"Sam Seiber" wrote in message
snoig wrote:
eating lunch. My advice would be go to Loveland since they have a small
parking lot so it limits the number of skiers.

snoig

Ahh, nuts, did you have to tell him about *my* area? I don't mention
your area. Lets tell him to go to Vail.

Sam "I ski Ybirynaq" Seiber

Come on Sam, are you really nuts enough to ski on Presidents Day weekend?
If you want to avoid the crowds, you're welcome to join me. I can guarantee
freshies and no crowds. Just bring your snowshoes or skins.

I'll be skiing lift-served, and if past Prezdets weekends are any
guide, there won't be any crowds to speak of. Forecast looks pretty
good, too, for the flatlands. PITA to get to, though....

bw
Old February 16th 05, 11:04 PM
snoig

"auser" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:23:24 -0700, "snoig" wrote:

"auser" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'm not talking about the weekend, I'll be skiing on Monday and a few
more days during the week.

I never said you were. Monday = one of the busiest days of the year.

What about night skiing at Keystone? I would guess most of the
weekenders would start the trip home.

That's probably a good call although I believe night skiing at Keystone is
only Thursday through Sunday. I would expect them to make an exception for
a holiday but check with the resort before you make any plans.

When I ski, I don't stop for lunch!

Thanks for the advice.

Old February 17th 05, 01:42 AM
snoig

"auser" wrote in message
Wow, I guess I'll be waiting in lines during the day. I want to do
Keystone on Monday, how bad does it get there?

Don't really know, I usually XC on days like that.

I think it's $71 for a lift ticket, will that drive people to a
cheaper resort?

Most of the people are Front Rangers who have a season pass. Most of the
cheaper resorts are a much longer drive.

What time should I get there, 7/8am?

Lifts open at 8:30.

If I get there at 10am am I screwed?

Pretty much.

How long is there drive from Downtown Denver?

Less than 2 hours with no traffic. I haven't done it in awhile but I would
figure double that if you're not on the road by 6 am. Traffic on the
weekends is terrible, probably more so on a holiday.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

Old February 17th 05, 04:29 PM
Sam Seiber

snoig wrote:
Come on Sam, are you really nuts enough to ski on Presidents Day weekend?
If you want to avoid the crowds, you're welcome to join me. I can guarantee
freshies and no crowds. Just bring your snowshoes or skins.

snoig

I will be at my beloved. I figger the BIG line will be two minutes. I
will
be pretty much doing laps off chair 9, which the big line will be 13 to
26
seconds (the seats are 13 seconds apart). The nice thing about this
time of year at my beloved is that their uphill capacity is far greater
than
their parking can hold. The really big lines (15 minutes) vanished when
some of *your* areas opened last mid November. I will pass on your
fine offer to walk up to ski down tho. I am lazy in that respect.

Sam "Weather lookin fine for the weekend" Seiber
Old February 18th 05, 03:08 PM
Mary Malmros

auser wrote:

I'm heading out to CO (probably Keystone) on Sunday and will ski on
Monday (President's day). Should I expect it to be crowded and lift
lines to be long?

Every single ski area in the United States will have long lift lines on
Monday.

This is my first trip out west. I'm trying to board on the weekdays
because I want a good experience. If President's day is a mess I will
put my trip off for 1 week.

Well, yeah...if you can, do.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old February 18th 05, 03:12 PM
Mary Malmros

auser wrote:

I'm not talking about the weekend, I'll be skiing on Monday and a few
more days during the week.

I never said you were. Monday = one of the busiest days of the year.

What about night skiing at Keystone? I would guess most of the
weekenders would start the trip home.

That's probably a good call although I believe night skiing at Keystone is
only Thursday through Sunday. I would expect them to make an exception for
a holiday but check with the resort before you make any plans.

Wow, I guess I'll be waiting in lines during the day. I want to do
Keystone on Monday, how bad does it get there?

He said already. ONE OF THE BUSIEST DAYS OF THE YEAR.

I think it's $71 for a lift ticket, will that drive people to a
cheaper resort?

Given that it's ONE OF THE BUSIEST DAYS OF THE YEAR, it's probably one
of the days when no ski area, anywhere, has any incentive at all to cut
their prices.

What time should I get there, 7/8am?

If I get there at 10am am I screwed?

Screwed in what sense? It's enough of a destination resort that plenty
of people will have flown in, be staying locally, and have minimal
trouble making first lift. So if you were thinking you could rip off a
few runs before the slothful arose, think again. It's ONE OF THE
BUSIEST DAYS OF THE YEAR. If the lift is on, the line will be long.

Old February 18th 05, 04:34 PM
lal_truckee

Mary Malmros wrote:
auser wrote:

I'm heading out to CO (probably Keystone) on Sunday and will ski on
Monday (President's day). Should I expect it to be crowded and lift
lines to be long?

Every single ski area in the United States will have long lift lines on
Monday.

Actually the lines will taper off by Monday. Many will be tired, many
will be hung over, many will "have to pack, you go skiing without me,"
many will wish to leave earlier so they can "beat the traffic" (thereby
joining the traffic at its peak.)

Works that way on Sunday of a normal weekend as well.

Secondly, those that do go skiing Monday [Sunday] will be even later
than how late they were on previous days, decreasing crowds until 11 or
so. Good skiing can be had. Crowds are very predictable.