Ski Area Food

Old February 4th 05, 12:41 PM
Jeff

Default Ski Area Food

Is it just me or does all ski area food suck? I'm not talking about
the resort area; I'm talking about the crap they serve at the bottom
of the mountain. Now granted I avoid celebrity hot spots like botulism
poisoning (hint: celebs carry in their facial skin), but it seems most
areas could serve something better than heat-lamp pizza, bland chilli
and cold french fries. Last weekend I had re-heated frozen pizza, a
small cup of crappy coffee and a granola bar. I held my hands high when
the cashier told me it $9.50. Beyond my experience in VT, NY, PA and AZ
friends have relayed similar stories from other areas. From my vantage,
it looks like a trend. Is it?

Jeff
Old February 4th 05, 01:18 PM
pigo

"Jeff" wrote in message
Is it just me or does all ski area food suck? I'm not talking about
the resort area; I'm talking about the crap they serve at the
bottom
of the mountain.

Deer Valley has pretty good food. I think that they've raised the
quality of surrounding areas too, though I haven't been to those in
years. Most of the time I plan on snacking until I get down to the
CottonBottom for garlic burgers.

Vail has a village at the bottom where you can get everything from
the worst to the best food. It doesn't make it worth skiing there
though.

pigo

Old February 4th 05, 01:32 PM
VtSkier

Jeff wrote:
Is it just me or does all ski area food suck? I'm not talking about
the resort area; I'm talking about the crap they serve at the bottom
of the mountain. Now granted I avoid celebrity hot spots like botulism
poisoning (hint: celebs carry in their facial skin), but it seems most
areas could serve something better than heat-lamp pizza, bland chilli
and cold french fries. Last weekend I had re-heated frozen pizza, a
small cup of crappy coffee and a granola bar. I held my hands high when
the cashier told me it $9.50. Beyond my experience in VT, NY, PA and AZ
friends have relayed similar stories from other areas. From my vantage,
it looks like a trend. Is it?

Jeff

No trend, just as it's always been. See other
recent threads about bringing your own.

It's been so bad that Killington has made a
concerted effort to fix it. No more heat lamps.
All fast foods, like hamburgers, fries, breakfast
sandwiches, etc. are cooked to order. It's
improved a lot, but it's still not perfect.

VtSkier
Old February 4th 05, 01:43 PM
Gumby

Jeff wrote:
Is it just me or does all ski area food suck?

This is an east coast thing. Out west, most major resorts have pretty decent
food. The burgers/chicken bar-b-que'd outside is usually excellent.
Killington has a decent deli at the bottom of Bear. Some of the other VT
mountains have made some strides toward on-hill food improvement but they
have a ways to go to catch up to the west.

--
I'm Gumby dammit!

Old February 4th 05, 01:50 PM
Chuck

Jeff wrote:
Is it just me or does all ski area food suck? I'm not talking about
the resort area; I'm talking about the crap they serve at the bottom
of the mountain. Now granted I avoid celebrity hot spots like botulism
poisoning (hint: celebs carry in their facial skin), but it seems most
areas could serve something better than heat-lamp pizza, bland chilli
and cold french fries. Last weekend I had re-heated frozen pizza, a
small cup of crappy coffee and a granola bar. I held my hands high when
the cashier told me it $9.50. Beyond my experience in VT, NY, PA and AZ
friends have relayed similar stories from other areas. From my vantage,
it looks like a trend. Is it?

Jeff

I've only skied in PA and NH. The best food I've ever had a slopeside
lodge is tolerable at best.
--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
Old February 4th 05, 01:53 PM
Richard Henry

"Jeff" wrote in message
Is it just me or does all ski area food suck? I'm not talking about
the resort area; I'm talking about the crap they serve at the bottom
of the mountain. Now granted I avoid celebrity hot spots like botulism
poisoning (hint: celebs carry in their facial skin), but it seems most
areas could serve something better than heat-lamp pizza, bland chilli
and cold french fries. Last weekend I had re-heated frozen pizza, a
small cup of crappy coffee and a granola bar. I held my hands high when
the cashier told me it $9.50. Beyond my experience in VT, NY, PA and AZ
friends have relayed similar stories from other areas. From my vantage,
it looks like a trend. Is it?

Deer Valley food is expensive, but worth it.

Old February 4th 05, 01:56 PM
Black Metal Martha

Gumby wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Is it just me or does all ski area food suck?

This is an east coast thing. Out west, most major resorts have pretty

decent
food. The burgers/chicken bar-b-que'd outside is usually excellent.
Killington has a decent deli at the bottom of Bear. Some of the other

VT
mountains have made some strides toward on-hill food improvement but

they
have a ways to go to catch up to the west.

I like the grill on the backside at Kirkwood. It's in a beautiful
location and if it's nice and sunny, it makes for a great place to meet
up with friends.

Martha

Old February 4th 05, 02:26 PM
JQ

"Jeff" wrote in message
Is it just me or does all ski area food suck? I'm not talking about
the resort area; I'm talking about the crap they serve at the bottom
of the mountain. Now granted I avoid celebrity hot spots like botulism
poisoning (hint: celebs carry in their facial skin), but it seems most
areas could serve something better than heat-lamp pizza, bland chilli
and cold french fries. Last weekend I had re-heated frozen pizza, a
small cup of crappy coffee and a granola bar. I held my hands high when
the cashier told me it $9.50. Beyond my experience in VT, NY, PA and AZ
friends have relayed similar stories from other areas. From my vantage,
it looks like a trend. Is it?

Jeff

Best on mountain food that I had was at Big Mountain, MT (the summit lodge
and lodge at chair 6 which was even better).

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 4th 05, 02:47 PM
Jeff

Black Metal Martha wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Jeff wrote:

Is it just me or does all ski area food suck?

This is an east coast thing. Out west, most major resorts have pretty

decent

food. The burgers/chicken bar-b-que'd outside is usually excellent.
Killington has a decent deli at the bottom of Bear. Some of the other

VT

mountains have made some strides toward on-hill food improvement but

they

have a ways to go to catch up to the west.

I like the grill on the backside at Kirkwood. It's in a beautiful
location and if it's nice and sunny, it makes for a great place to meet
up with friends.

Martha

In the spring, my local ski area - Camelback - opens a grill on its deck
and they grill to order. It's one of the few good things about warmer
weather - okay, the *only* good thing. Normally, I go to the very good
brew pub in Tannersville after we leave the mountain.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old February 4th 05, 02:52 PM
foot2foot

"Jeff" wrote in message
Is it just me or does all ski area food suck? I'm not talking about
the resort area; I'm talking about the crap they serve at the bottom
of the mountain. Now granted I avoid celebrity hot spots like botulism
poisoning (hint: celebs carry in their facial skin), but it seems most
areas could serve something better than heat-lamp pizza, bland chilli
and cold french fries. Last weekend I had re-heated frozen pizza, a
small cup of crappy coffee and a granola bar. I held my hands high when
the cashier told me it $9.50. Beyond my experience in VT, NY, PA and AZ
friends have relayed similar stories from other areas. From my vantage,
it looks like a trend. Is it?

Jeff

I think Timberline has the best food I've seen at a northwest
typical day lodge setup. For typical food that is. They don't get
too fancy. That's the day lodge of course. If you eat in
Timberline lodge itself, the food could be called nothing too
short of fabulous.

I stopped by this area in Canada not so long ago, Whitewater
I think? I couldn't believe the menu. It read like a hundred
dollar a plate menu. It really was serious gourmet fare. I tried
some ordinary stuff. It *was* very good.

There's another place, Spout Springs in Oregon. The owners
refuse to serve a burger or fry. They have all this buffet with
fancy salads and cold cuts, roasts, all kinds of neat food.
Good food as well. Spout Springs is a really neat place.
It's the same as it was in the sixties, yet it's all cleaned and
polished and painted, it's all like brand new.