snowboarders

Old January 23rd 05, 11:24 PM
Bob

"ttalb" wrote in message news:gUVId.24549

My big worry is with a zero growth in numbers of participants and the

amount
of $$ being plowed into resorts (I know most of it is real estate based
now). Will the non "destination" resorts be able to make it into the next
ten years?

My understanding about one of out local areas, Stevens Pass, is that the
owners pump money out of it into their other areas where they can do real
estate development. Supposedly, it has a record of "profitable years" just
because they can't spend all the money it makes there.

Bob

Old January 23rd 05, 11:26 PM
LePheaux

"ttalb" wrote in message

Unluckily the "trend" is that in the last ten years the industry has lost
40% of skiers (10.5 M vs 6.8M today) and boarding has increased 350% (1.8M

What a crock.
yes some of the stats have gone from skiiiers to boarders.
you need to take into consideration that these bogus stats come from
population growth.
how many broke ass wetbacks, and other imagrants contribute to the middle
class
and above resorts ?
NONE.
Yet they contribute to the #'s the boarder supporters like to throw out.
there are more resorts then there used to be, and just as many new people
sliding.
of course the growing # of skiiers isn't going to be as high with boarders
taking
up 50%.
I've been around the snow industry for three generations, and I can't see
any decline in the next generation of sliders.
with or without the boarders the slopes aren't in any danger of closing
down.

Old January 23rd 05, 11:28 PM
LePheaux

"David Harris" wrote in message

I suppose I could dump my friends, or get

Dave don't you live in the north wet ?
I'm dying to get out of WA. and find some snow.
I've got a season pass for Crystal that's good for several places with
snow.

Old January 23rd 05, 11:32 PM
Bob

"pigo" wrote in message
newsqydncGzCpQmtGncRVn-
If I had better balance and learned faster I would try it. I love
to see
good boarders on a high speed carve on the groomed, or ripping up
good
lines in trees, powder, pillows. Reminds me of windsurfing,
another
sport that took a good decade to learn, but is great.

Good line? I've never seen any snowboarder do anything besides go
across the hill. If by good line you mean straight down, I could
train a stump to do that.

You've obviously been hiding from the dreaded boarders for the last 10
years. This makes it very clear you don't know anything about snowboarders
and what they do or can do.

Bob

Old January 23rd 05, 11:34 PM
LePheaux

"pigo" wrote in message

Good line? I've never seen any snowboarder do anything besides go across
the hill. If by good line you mean straight down, I could train a stump to
do that.

Pigo I'm alot like you on the boarder mentality.
BUT
there are some really good boarders out there.
Not trying to debate but I've gotten to know a couple of the board
instructors at Crystal, all used to be skiiers, all of them can keep up on
any type of hill. and all teach carving, not scraping, not trasversing.
I still say ****em.
and they just laugh.

Old January 24th 05, 12:02 AM
pigo

"LePheaux" wrote in message

"pigo" wrote in message

Good line? I've never seen any snowboarder do anything besides go
across the hill. If by good line you mean straight down, I could
train a stump to do that.

Pigo I'm alot like you on the boarder mentality.
BUT
there are some really good boarders out there.

(snipped)

A ''good line" is something like you'd see in a powder 8 contest (or
maybe 1/2 of that). I've never seen a board do that. Even in their so
called slalom and GS races the courses are adapted to their
limitations.

Let's remember that this is a skiing group so terms will be
interpreted in that context. Not the lowest common denominator of the
snowboard.

Not to say that you friends aren't "good" boarders. But a good prison
inmate is still a prison inmate.

pigo

Old January 24th 05, 02:23 AM
David Harris

"Bob" wrote in
:

"pigo" wrote in message
newsqydncGzCpQmtGncRVn-
If I had better balance and learned faster I would try it. I love
to see
good boarders on a high speed carve on the groomed, or ripping up
good
lines in trees, powder, pillows. Reminds me of windsurfing,
another
sport that took a good decade to learn, but is great.

Good line? I've never seen any snowboarder do anything besides go
across the hill. If by good line you mean straight down, I could
train a stump to do that.

You've obviously been hiding from the dreaded boarders for the last 10
years. This makes it very clear you don't know anything about
snowboarders and what they do or can do.

Bob

Dead right.

I may have shouted at some boarders at Kicking Horse last year who were
scraping right at the top of the Stairway to Heaven lift, but overall I
have no problem with them.

In Fernie, a couple of years back, it was boarders who were cutting the
tightest lines thru the trees. I think it's because they can kill their
speed by digging in the back foot which allows a tighter pivot when
things get tricky. Anyway, I know I had trouble picking my way through
the same woods.

I also see a fair number of greyhairs boarding, and a good number of
really good carvers (not that carving is the holy grail to me).

I don't see them carving perfect powder 8 lines, but that's not really in
their quiver - I don't see that as a holy grail either.

For me, if you can get down virtually any line, and do it with some grace
and a BIG SMILE, then you've discovered a key to the art of sliding down
the snow. And I'd be happy to share it with you.

If you've got some whacky chip on your shoulder, about boarding, short
skis, long skis, shaped skis, rear-entry boots, 5-buckle boots, wool,
fleece, helmets, mitts, unacceptable colours for jackets, long hair,
short hair, mohawks, piercings, lipstick, anchovies, or micro-brews, then
maybe we'd not see eye to eye. No big deal.

dh
Old January 24th 05, 02:31 AM
pigo

"pigo" wrote in message
[...]

The point is that no matter how a boarder gets down the ungroomed
snow, it's ****ed up for any skier to follow compared to what another
skier would have left. End of story. You can argue only that it
doesn't bother you. It bothers me. If that's a chip, so be it.

You drink micros AND wear a helmet, don't you? Are you guilty about
slavery too?