Taichiskiing

Old May 16th 10, 05:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Default Taichiskiing

On May 16, 8:36 am, "Stuart" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message
On May 15, 5:01 pm, "Stuart" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message

So there are "skidding" and "slipping," and they are different? Thanks
for the confirmation, my good man.

A skidded turn on skis happens when you hit some ice or hardpack for eg.

Actually, I think that most classical/old-school parallel turns are
"skidded" parallel turns.

They are hard to control compared to a slipped turn as in side-slipping or
turning into the hill.

Yes. When a skidded turn screws up, the skier falls backward, there
would be no recovery. When a slipped turn screws up, the skier falls
forward, with a strong leg, one may still recover. So, slipped turns
are safer, too.

IS
Old May 16th 10, 05:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

"downhill" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
On May 15, 5:01 pm, "Stuart" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message
Funny thing about the slip though, all old time pilots know "what"
slipping is, as well as experienced drivers, but in skiing, it
seems few skiers know exactly what it is. And the gappers on this
board insisted that I was "wrong" when I told them the difference
between "skidding" and "slipping," and laughed themselves silly.
What do you think?
That's easy. A slip is sliding to the inside of a turn and skid is
to the outside.
So there are "skidding" and "slipping," and they are different?
Thanks for the confirmation, my good man.
A skidded turn on skis happens when you hit some ice or hardpack for
eg. They are hard to control compared to a slipped turn as in
side-slipping or turning into the hill.

A skid to the inside of a turn what law of physics lets that happen?
The only way he is going to skid to the inside is when he gets hit by
a snowmobile.
he is inventing definitions again what a sack of ****

If you are traversing a slope, and flatten the skis to the snow while
rotating them, they can slip downhill at the front to initiate a turn.
This is the way good snowboarders initiate turns, since they have the
option of flattenening the front of the board while still edgeing the
rear of the board on the uphill edge, by twisting the board. It is much
safer than trying to push the rear of the board into the turn like many
self-trained boarders do.

sorry
you start a right hand turn at 30 mph and in the middle of the turn your
going to slip to the inside?
show me

You can't. But as a previous poster pointed out, you can slip the fronts of
the skis downhill to the right while doing a left hand traverse and initiate
a "windshield-wiper" turn. In this case a slip does occur in the direction
of the turn, but technically, when the slip is performed, the centre of mass
is to the left and not being deflected in a right hand turn. Just some parts
of the skiers anatomy ie the skis are slipping right. Then, the actual
initiation of the turn is made with a com shift to the right. You are
slipping right, but not yet turning actually.

Old May 16th 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On May 16, 10:20*am, taichiskiing
wrote:
On May 16, 8:00 am, "Bob F" wrote:

taichiskiing wrote:
On May 15, 5:01 pm, "Stuart" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message

Funny thing about the slip though, all old time pilots know "what"
slipping is, as well as experienced drivers, but in skiing, it seems
few skiers know exactly what it is. And the gappers on this board
insisted that I was "wrong" when I told them the difference between
"skidding" and "slipping," and laughed themselves silly. What do you
think?

That's easy. A slip is sliding to the inside of a turn and skid is
to the outside.

So there are "skidding" and "slipping," and they are different? Thanks
for the confirmation, my good man.

"Now, you gappers owe me and the board/RSA an apology for all the lies
you gappers told about me and the noises you gappers generated on the
board for your lies."

More like Scotty every day.

Nothing to do Scott, that's just your denial.

Please do tell us what all those lies were, so we know what to apologise for.

All your denials, as well as all your bashings are lies. I did tell
you that shameless lying is a bottomless pit, once you falling into
it, you'd have no recourse for redemption. As Buddha said, "return
(change previous behaviors), there's a safe shore." Good luck.-

Scott Abraham Syndrome.

Old May 16th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Stuart wrote:
"downhill" wrote in message

\
[...]

My point being you declare an absolute and the first example it fails
like everything cheese dip claims to be true.
Slipping is letting the ski's slide 90 degrees to the normal path of travel
Sliding in increasing the radius of your turn because you have NOT grip.

you can not count a person standing upright on skis going slow that is
hot dogging his skis as doing something like a real turn at speed
any of these suggestions do not work at speed please try to prove me
wrong preferably not in go slow zones.
Old May 16th 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

downhill wrote:
Bob F wrote:
On May 15, 5:01 pm, "Stuart" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message
Funny thing about the slip though, all old time pilots know
"what" slipping is, as well as experienced drivers, but in
skiing, it seems few skiers know exactly what it is. And the
gappers on this board insisted that I was "wrong" when I told
them the difference between "skidding" and "slipping," and
laughed themselves silly. What do you think?
That's easy. A slip is sliding to the inside of a turn and skid
is to the outside.
So there are "skidding" and "slipping," and they are different?
Thanks for the confirmation, my good man.
A skidded turn on skis happens when you hit some ice or hardpack
for eg. They are hard to control compared to a slipped turn as in
[...]

I don't do it in the middle of a turn. I do it at the beginning of a turn.

It is a much more noticable effect at the slow speeds that a 1st time boarder
goes. From a heelside traverse, he holds his rear foot toes up while he lowers
the front toes to initiate the turn. The front of the board slips downhill
because the edge is released while the rear doesn't, because it is still edged.
The board turns. As the board crosses the fall line, the rear foot edgeing
follows the previous front foot edgeing change. At higher speeds, the transition
occurs faster, and the amount of actual slip would reduce to near zero, since
the body crosses the board much earlier in the turn.

Old May 17th 10, 04:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

"downhill" wrote in message
Stuart wrote:
"downhill" wrote in message

\
[...]

Not sure what you are saying here, but this sounds like a skidded turn, as
if you hit an icy patch and the turn went wider than you intended it to.

EG In an airplane in a left hand turn, if you apply more left rudder or yaw
than is necessary the turn will SKID, like a rear-wheel drive car doing a
fishtail on ice. The ass-end will go wide to the right. If you apply less
left rudder or even right rudder, the airplane's tail will SLIP or yaw to
the inside of the turn.

Old May 17th 10, 12:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Stuart wrote:
"downhill" wrote in message

[...]

What I am saying it is bull**** if you think you can slide to inside of
turn, slow speeds do not count as your not developing enough forces to
really be in a turn

airplane is not a proper example speed difference and aerodynamic forces
make it a poor choice for an example vs a skier no contact patch, it is
back to the snowmobile pushing the skier to the inside of the turn

A rear wheel drive doing a fish tail on ice will go in the direction
based on the type of differential in the car and the grip of the ice or
surface. 90 percent of the time to get it to fish tail you need to do a
dirt trick turn right to go left
In a right hand turn if you get oversteer the car will go to the left
never to the inside of the turn. I am talking prior to loosing it as it
becomes unstable in a condition like spinning.

If your racing on hard pack and you hit a unpacked section your radius
will increase as there will be more compression in the surface
Old May 17th 10, 02:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On May 17, 5:40 am, downhill wrote:

What I am saying it is bull**** if you think you can slide to inside of
turn, slow speeds do not count as your not developing enough forces to
really be in a turn

No. Your bull**** is that you're keeping using wrong assumptions to
draw wrong conclusions and still thinking you are some kind of
experts. No, you cannot slide to inside of a turn in skiing; it is not
because the definitions of "skid" and "slip" are wrong but you've
forgot to factor in the effects that slopes and gravity having on
skis. And yes, you can slide a car to inside of a turn. In the movie
"2 fast 2 furious in Tokyo," or something like that, it showed two
cars raced on a parking lot ramp, slide/skid-turned all the way up to
the upper level.

airplane is not a proper example speed difference and aerodynamic forces
make it a poor choice for an example vs a skier no contact patch, it is
back to the snowmobile pushing the skier to the inside of the turn

Airplane demonstrates the turning forces in 3D, and skiing is in 2D.
The phenomenon maybe appear differently, but the underline principle
is the same.

A rear wheel drive doing a fish tail on ice will go in the direction
based on the type of differential in the car and the grip of the ice or
surface. 90 percent of the time to get it to fish tail you need to do a
dirt trick turn right to go left
In a right hand turn if you get oversteer the car will go to the left
never to the inside of the turn. I am talking prior to loosing it as it
becomes unstable in a condition like spinning.

Too complicated, to recover from a skidding, turn the steering to the
direction of the skidding; now, how do you recognize and recover a
"slip" on a mountain road?

If your racing on hard pack and you hit a unpacked section your radius
will increase as there will be more compression in the surface

Not really, if the unpacked surface is softer than the hard pack, than
the car would slow down, and a slower car makes a shorter radius turn,
so the increased radius may not be due to unpack surface but something
else, e.g. tires lose their grip?
Old May 17th 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On May 16, 8:00 am, "Bob F" wrote:

More like Scotty every day.

Nothing to do Scott, that's just your denial.

Please do tell us what all those lies were, so we know what to apologise
for.

All your denials, as well as all your bashings are lies. I did tell
you that shameless lying is a bottomless pit, once you falling into
it, you'd have no recourse for redemption. As Buddha said, "return
(change previous behaviors), there's a safe shore." Good luck.

Why go there?

For the good of the board, some sanitizing is necessary sometimes. If
more skiers speak up against their rants, we may get rip of these
shameless net-bullies.

IS