Running with Ski Poles

Old June 4th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
EdV

Default Running with Ski Poles

I guess some people call it nordic running. Finally found a good
hilly trail to run intervals. It was great! My hips and knees don't
hurt and I feel like I get some upper body conditioning.

I used to love running but it started hurting like the dickens 15
years ago. It's great to have it back.

Ed V.

Old June 5th 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

"EdV" skrev i melding
oups.com...
I guess some people call it nordic running. Finally found a good
hilly trail to run intervals. It was great! My hips and knees don't
hurt and I feel like I get some upper body conditioning.

I used to love running but it started hurting like the dickens 15
years ago. It's great to have it back.

Do you run or do you jump? Ski training involves jumping uphill with ski
poles.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old June 5th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
sknyski

Do you run or do you jump? Ski training involves jumping uphill with ski
poles.

I remember doing both (bounding up hills w/ poles and running up hills
w/ poles) but that was some time ago so training methods may have
changed.

Bryant

Old June 5th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
EdV

On Jun 5, 1:29 am, "Terje Henriksen" wrote:
"EdV" skrev i ooglegroups.com...

I guess some people call it nordic running. Finally found a good
hilly trail to run intervals. It was great! My hips and knees don't
hurt and I feel like I get some upper body conditioning.

I used to love running but it started hurting like the dickens 15
years ago. It's great to have it back.

Do you run or do you jump? Ski training involves jumping uphill with ski
poles.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes
69:41:41N 30:00:28E

Glad you asked. Mostly I run pole planting on each footstep. I also
found that I could double pole plant and vault. It felt pretty ok and
seemed like it could help upper body conditioning. Can you recommend
any references for doing it optimally?

Thanks,
Ed V.

Old June 6th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

"EdV" skrev i melding
oups.com...

Glad you asked. Mostly I run pole planting on each footstep. I also
found that I could double pole plant and vault. It felt pretty ok and
seemed like it could help upper body conditioning. Can you recommend
any references for doing it optimally?

No, but I can recommend ski walking (very deep) in steep terrain/mountain.
It will give you muscles which are very useful also when running. Have not
tried it with poles.

I use Braasterk only, for upper body training.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old June 6th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
EdV

On Jun 5, 9:04 pm, "Terje Henriksen" wrote:
"EdV" skrev i ooglegroups.com...

Glad you asked. Mostly I run pole planting on each footstep. I also
found that I could double pole plant and vault. It felt pretty ok and
seemed like it could help upper body conditioning. Can you recommend
any references for doing it optimally?

No, but I can recommend ski walking (very deep) in steep terrain/mountain.
It will give you muscles which are very useful also when running. Have not
tried it with poles.

I useBraasterkonly, for upper body training.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes
69:41:41N 30:00:28E

OK I give up what is "bråsterk"?

Thanks,
Ed V.

Old June 7th 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

EdV wrote:
On Jun 5, 9:04 pm, "Terje Henriksen" wrote:
"EdV" skrev i ooglegroups.com...

Glad you asked. Mostly I run pole planting on each footstep. I also
found that I could double pole plant and vault. It felt pretty ok and
seemed like it could help upper body conditioning. Can you recommend
any references for doing it optimally?

No, but I can recommend ski walking (very deep) in steep terrain/mountain.
It will give you muscles which are very useful also when running. Have not
tried it with poles.

I useBraasterkonly, for upper body training.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes
69:41:41N 30:00:28E

OK I give up what is "bråsterk"?

Oddvar Brå was almost certainly the best clean (as in "not doped to the
gills") xc skier for several years, "Bråsterk" means "Strong like Brå",
it is an upper body training apparatus.

Terje

--
-
Old June 8th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Meaning a generic term or a specific apparatus? It seems to be
discussed a lot on forums, but the only specific piece of eqpt I found
was the Norwegian equivalent of the Total Gym:
http://www.treningspartner.no/produc...r%E5sterk.html

Old June 8th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

"Terje Mathisen" skrev i melding
OK I give up what is "bråsterk"?

Oddvar Brå was almost certainly the best clean (as in "not doped to the
gills") xc skier for several years, "Bråsterk" means "Strong like Brå", it
is an upper body training apparatus.

It may also mean "suddenly strong".

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old June 8th 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

skrev i melding
Meaning a generic term or a specific apparatus? It seems to be
discussed a lot on forums, but the only specific piece of eqpt I found
was the Norwegian equivalent of the Total Gym:
http://www.treningspartner.no/produc...r%E5sterk.html

This is not the original model, which is produced by Stjørdal Industrier. It
was first sold in the -60's and I am using one bought in the -70's. Made of
steel and still as good as new. You may find it advertised in SkiSport. I
use it 3 times a week, summer and winter.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

[SELL] Walking Poles, Trekking Poles, Hiking Poles NordicWalking.com.tw Nordic Skiing 0 January 4th 05 07:47 AM
[SELL]Walking Poles, Hiking Poles, Trekking Poles NordicWalking.com.tw Nordic Skiing 0 December 22nd 04 10:15 AM
running 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 7 March 7th 04 01:16 AM
Poles / No-poles Skating experiment Mark Frost Nordic Skiing 15 December 30th 03 02:20 AM
videos of my skating with poles (was Poles / No-poles Skating experiment) [email protected] Nordic Skiing 1 December 29th 03 02:53 PM