getting back into the swing

Old November 10th 04, 02:23 AM
Jackie

Default getting back into the swing

Hi

I would like to know what you would recomend for someone getting back
into cross country skiing? I used to ski every winter when i was
younger but now it's been too long i don't know what to look for.
Obviously i am going to go for the wax ski seeing is that i know how
that works and well i is much better. but i'm wondering wether it is
worth getting a package deal at the local sports store or shop
around for something better. Right now i can get the bindings, poles,
boots, and ski's for 300 canadian (no tax) so i'm wondering if i could
get better, and what kind of gear to buy with it.

thank you
jackie
Old November 10th 04, 02:47 AM
Micheal Artindale

"Jackie" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

I would like to know what you would recomend for someone getting back
into cross country skiing? I used to ski every winter when i was
younger but now it's been too long i don't know what to look for.
Obviously i am going to go for the wax ski seeing is that i know how
that works and well i is much better. but i'm wondering wether it is
worth getting a package deal at the local sports store or shop
around for something better. Right now i can get the bindings, poles,
boots, and ski's for 300 canadian (no tax) so i'm wondering if i could
get better, and what kind of gear to buy with it.

thank you
jackie

Head over to the nearest Canadian Tire and get them there. For me boots,
poles, bindings, and skis were around $200. They are waxless, however, go to
you local ski store, and pick up the cleaner for waxless skis(this prevents
wet snow build up).

Go join a local trail club.

And Just Ski Your Brains Out!!

Micheal

PS, where are you?

Old November 11th 04, 03:50 AM
Scott Elliot

It really depends on what kind of skiing you want to do and how athletic you
are.

I you are athletic and want to train and maybe do a few competitions you are
probably not going to be satisfied with a $300 package.

If you just want to get outside and get some fresh air and a bit of exercise
the $300 package could be just right.

I agree that waxable skis are the way to go, especially if you are going to
be skiing on cold prairie snow.

(Canadian Tire is not my favourite, but my son works at a ski shop.)

Scott
Kelowna, BC

. ..

Old November 11th 04, 04:58 AM
Micheal Artindale

Does `Canadian Tire' sell skis and tires, or just skis?

In the sporting goods section, theyb have skis and bike tires, in the
automotive section the sell car tires and snowmachine skis

so, yes... they sell both.

Micheal

Old November 11th 04, 04:10 PM
David Dermott

(about buying cheap skis at Canadian Tire)

Does `Canadian Tire' sell skis and tires, or just skis?

For the benefit of non-Canadians:
CANADIAN TIRE (CT) is a chain of franchised hardware stores
across Canada. Also (in)famous for their CT money.

This story has happened some many times, it is now a running joke
in our local cycling/camping community. - Visiting touring-cyclists need
a butane fuel cannister (or other camping supplies) for butane camp stove.
We suggest Canadian Tire. They wonder why a "tire store" would
sell camping supplies.

Unfortunately (for me) CT now only sells SNS boots (I'm a NNN person).
There have been times when I've immediately needed a cheap pair of boots
and CT was the only store nearby.

Their boots and skis are lower priced Karhu models. I've only seen
waxless skis there.

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old November 11th 04, 06:58 PM
Micheal Artindale

Their boots and skis are lower priced Karhu models. I've only seen
waxless skis there.

I have a pair of those... and they r as good as i need.

If you want to solve that, just do what a friend of mine did to her's ...
scrape off the "fish scales". They then become waxable skis... and they work
well...

Micheal