North Face at Crystal Mt - 11 new runs

Old January 12th 04, 08:13 PM
Walt

Default North Face at Crystal Mt - 11 new runs

So, what's the verdict on the new terrain at Crystal Mountain?

Seems as if there was a dis-coordinated* RSA mini-invasion there over
the weekend, so I'm curious what others thought about the new North Face
slopes.

--
//-Walt
//

* I was about to say uncoordinated, but while the place was full of
uncoordinated people, I doubt any of them had ever even heard of RSA.
Old January 13th 04, 01:20 AM
bdubya

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:13:01 -0500, Walt
wrote:

So, what's the verdict on the new terrain at Crystal Mountain?

Seems as if there was a dis-coordinated* RSA mini-invasion there over
the weekend, so I'm curious what others thought about the new North Face
slopes.

Nice cruising zone, sorta reminiscent of Whitecap (in WI); fairly
narrow, winding, crisscrossing - good intermediate terrain. What I
really liked about them is they take a lot of pressure off the Ridge
runs, which are a bit steeper (there were short lines at most of the
lifts Sat., but the Ridge chair rarely had a line at all).

bw
Old January 13th 04, 02:42 PM
Walt

bdubya wrote:
Walt wrote:

So, what's the verdict on the new terrain at Crystal Mountain?

Nice cruising zone, sorta reminiscent of Whitecap (in WI); fairly
narrow, winding, crisscrossing - good intermediate terrain. What I
really liked about them is they take a lot of pressure off the Ridge
runs, which are a bit steeper (there were short lines at most of the
lifts Sat., but the Ridge chair rarely had a line at all).

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the new North Face area.
When I heard about it I was skeptical because:

1) the last expansion (Ridge Runs) wasn't all that impressive
and
2) the entrance to the north face area is where they used to have a gate
for XC skiers meaning that the North Face is basically converted XC
terrain.

I was expecting a lamer version of the Ridge Runs. Instead, it's a much
better version - some goood intermediate crusing terrain (that is, good
by midwestern standards) and a bunch of easy flat greens for the novices
(which I didn't bother to ski). I liked the knobs, knolls and
undulations on some of the runs - much more interesting than the
"featureless inclined plane" slopes you see sometimes.

It was fairly crowded at Crystal on Sunday - I waited in my first real
lift line of the season - but the North Face was not crowded at all.
I'll bet half the people there didn't even know about it.

Did you go to Caberfae Peaks on Sunday? What's the story there?

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 15th 04, 12:17 AM
bdubya

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:42:47 -0500, Walt
wrote:

(snip)
Did you go to Caberfae Peaks on Sunday? What's the story there?

Er, ah, well, we had a sort of a reunion going on Saturday night,
which ran into the wee hours, and led to us taking Sunday off (I know,
insufficient dedication). Possibly this weekend, though.

bw
Old January 16th 04, 12:57 AM
Kneale Brownson

Walt wrote in message ...
So, what's the verdict on the new terrain at Crystal Mountain?

Seems as if there was a dis-coordinated* RSA mini-invasion there over
the weekend, so I'm curious what others thought about the new North Face
slopes.

--
//-Walt
//
// The Volkl Conspiracy

* I was about to say uncoordinated, but while the place was full of
uncoordinated people, I doubt any of them had ever even heard of RSA.

I qualify as the uncoordinated, although I was not part of any
invasion, discordant or dis-coordinated. I visited Crystal for the
first time this season today and got my first glimpse of the new runs.
Nice chairlift, albeit a bit short, like all the runs it serves.
Those runs should help keep down the crowds on the other part of the
ridge development. No crowding today at all anywhere except the Loki
lift was being used for two or three huge classes of beginners, so it
was even more slow than usual. Other than that, there were always
more empty chairs than occupied ones everywhere. Bit chilly too, of
course, with single-digit temps in the morning.

This coming weekend is supposed to be a zoo everywhere because of the
holiday. They're expecting a large crowd at Boyne Mtn., where I'm
scheduled to work. If I were picking a place to go, it would be
Schuss, which seems to still draw the smallest weekend crowds.