Detachable grip ski poles

Old January 10th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Default Detachable grip ski poles

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote in message news:8rchj.236
2a) Don't use the straps at all. Not recommended if you're skiing terrain
where you might have to self-arrest, but fine for most situations.

I don't use the straps, but they're handy if you have to hang your poles
somewhere. I'm aware of the theory of using your poles to self arrest and
even tried it once (not all that much call for it where I ski), but I can't
figure out how it might be done with your hands through the straps. I guess
you might do it with the pole attached to the lower hand just bumping around
on its own, but that sounds kind of problematical.

Grab the bottom end of one pole with the other hand, then dig it into the
snow with both hands, one at the grip and one near the tip. I've saved my
butt a few times doing it, once on an icy slope above a significant
waterfall. The last time, I broke off the last 8" of the old stainless steel
pole. But I did stop. I had skied with those poles for over 30 years.

So one pole digs in and the other one just flops around?

It's one of the worries I have about snowboarding - nothing to arrest with.

I would have thought you'd use knees, elbows and chin :-)

They are not very effective on ice. Although I do remember wearing the surface
off leather jacket elbows on a breakable ice crust once many years ago (on
skis).

Old January 10th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

The Real Bev wrote:

I'm aware of the theory of using your poles to self arrest
and even tried it once (not all that much call for it where I ski), but
I can't figure out how it might be done with your hands through the
straps.

The thing is, if you stuff it on terrain where self arrest is necessary
unless your hands are in the straps your poles are probably nowhere in
the general vicinity. If you're gonna try to use them to self arrest,
you have to have them with you. Otherwise, they're kinda useless.

//Walt
Old January 10th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Let Mikey Ski It![_4_]

On 2008-01-08 21:44:25 -0700, "DZN" said:

Anyone know where to get these? The make? I saw them once and they
looked like a good idea to avoid skier's thumb in a fall.

Leki. Find them about anywhere (I just bought a new pair at Christy
Sports in Breckenridge). There is a strap that stays attached to your
gloves and you snap them into the poles handles, and easily pull out if
you catch the pole in a tree or something. They work great. I don't
think they would have anything to do with preventing skiers thumb in a
fall, though (I would think you could get that falling without poles).

Mike...

--
Breckenridge Ski Photography: http://BreckenridgeSkiPhotos.com
Breckenridge photo ski blog: http://Powderday.us

Old January 10th 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Bob F wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:

(snip)

It's one of the worries I have about snowboarding - nothing to
arrest with.

your point being?

Uhmm? When I am snowboarding, I don't have poles to arrest with. Is
it that unclear?

but you'll have your board, it won't come off like skis might.

--
Chris *:-)

Rule 1 - Me first
Rule 2 - Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!
Rule 3 - Skis at the bottom, Head at the top!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 10th 08, 11:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_14_]

VtSkier wrote:
Bob F wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:

(snip)

It's one of the worries I have about snowboarding - nothing to
arrest with. your point being?

Uhmm? When I am snowboarding, I don't have poles to arrest with. Is
it that unclear?

Uhm, no, anti-snowboarder joke in mind. Sorry.

Don't worry, a few of us got it!

--
ant
Don't try to email me!

Old January 10th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
TexasSkiNut

On Jan 9, 8:38*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
Bob F wrote:
[...]

Yup, pretty much.

It's one of the worries I have about snowboarding - nothing to arrest with.

I would have thought you'd use knees, elbows and chin :-)

On my last big fall on steep terrain, I wasn't able to use my poles to
arrest as my left shoulder was dislocated. My left arm was pretty
useless and the poles slipped off while sliding. I ended up using my
feet, elbow of my right arm, and yes, my chin to self-arrest. Good
thing the snow was soft.
Old January 10th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"MoonMan" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:

(snip)

It's one of the worries I have about snowboarding - nothing to
arrest with.

your point being?

Uhmm? When I am snowboarding, I don't have poles to arrest with. Is
it that unclear?

but you'll have your board, it won't come off like skis might.

That works a little, but it doesn't have the main advantages of a ski pole
arrest - swinging your body downhill of your arms, and consistant breaking.

Old January 10th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On Jan 9, 5:00*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
It's one of the worries I have about snowboarding - nothing to arrest with..

Most of my snowboarding friends who I spend time with in the
backcountry usually bring along an ice axe for really steep terrain
where self arrest may be necessary. I've seen films of snowboarders
on extreme terrain using two ice axes to help initiate turns.

snoig
Old January 10th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
TexasSkiNut

On Jan 10, 11:11*am, "Bob F" wrote:
"MoonMan" wrote in message

Bob F wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:

(snip)

It's one of the worries I have about snowboarding - nothing to
arrest with.

your point being?

Uhmm? When I am snowboarding, I don't have poles to arrest with. Is
it that unclear?

but you'll have your board, it won't come off like skis might.

That works a little, but it doesn't have the main advantages of a ski pole
arrest - swinging your body downhill of your arms, and consistant breaking..- Hide quoted text -

During my brief attempts at snowboarding, I was amazed at how hard it
was to use a snowboard to stop a slide on hard-packed snow. It was
especially interesting when sliding head-first on my face. Tough to
get that toe edge to bite that way. I ended up swinging around and
making like a cat on a screen door. Slid all the way to the bottom of
the run before I stopped. Wore a couple of holes in the fingers of my
gloves. Can't imagine how far I'd have slid on something steeper (it
was a blue at Mammoth). I gave snowboarding one more day after that
but eventually decided I was better off staying on skis.
Old January 10th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"snoig" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 5:00 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
It's one of the worries I have about snowboarding - nothing to arrest with.

Most of my snowboarding friends who I spend time with in the
backcountry usually bring along an ice axe for really steep terrain
where self arrest may be necessary. I've seen films of snowboarders
on extreme terrain using two ice axes to help initiate turns.

Reminds me of my mountaineering oriented first aid class, and "sucking chest
wounds". I think I'll pass on the ice axe. I might change my mind if I got into
the backcountry a lot. I can't imagine how an ice axe could help initiate turns
either.