Detachable grip ski poles

Old January 9th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
DZN

Default Detachable grip ski poles

Anyone know where to get these? The make? I saw them once and they looked
like a good idea to avoid skier's thumb in a fall.

Old January 9th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
TexasSkiNut

On Jan 8, 10:44*pm, "DZN" wrote:
Anyone know where to get these? *The make? *I saw them once and they looked
like a good idea to avoid skier's thumb in a fall.

I've heard of and seen detachable straps on grips (I think they were
made by Goode) but not detachable grips. Google turned up this:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1281419.html

Old January 9th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

DZN wrote:
Anyone know where to get these? The make? I saw them once and they looked
like a good idea to avoid skier's thumb in a fall.

The way to avoid skier's thumb is:

1) Don't try to break your fall by putting your hand out

2) Use the straps correctly (see this video
http://www.expertvillage.com/videos/...iing-poles.htm)

OR

2a) Don't use the straps at all. Not recommended if you're skiing
terrain where you might have to self-arrest, but fine for most situations.

Releasable gizmos might help, but what's easier or simpler than leaving
your hands out of the straps and simply letting go of the poles?

//Walt

Old January 9th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
D.

I totally agree ! I have my straps secured to
my poles with elastic bands .
Off piste / powder is the exception .
Coincidentally , i did a thumb yesterday
so " who knew " ?
regards ,
Dick

Old January 9th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Walt wrote:

DZN wrote:
Anyone know where to get these? The make? I saw them once and they looked
like a good idea to avoid skier's thumb in a fall.

The way to avoid skier's thumb is:

1) Don't try to break your fall by putting your hand out

2) Use the straps correctly (see this video
http://www.expertvillage.com/videos/...iing-poles.htm)

OR

2a) Don't use the straps at all. Not recommended if you're skiing
terrain where you might have to self-arrest, but fine for most situations.

I don't use the straps, but they're handy if you have to hang your poles
somewhere. I'm aware of the theory of using your poles to self arrest
and even tried it once (not all that much call for it where I ski), but
I can't figure out how it might be done with your hands through the
straps. I guess you might do it with the pole attached to the lower
hand just bumping around on its own, but that sounds kind of problematical.

Releasable gizmos might help, but what's easier or simpler than leaving
your hands out of the straps and simply letting go of the poles?

The first time I went skiing I got going faster than I thought was safe
and, preparing to fall, I just threw the damn things up in the air. I
didn't fall and felt like a real idiot when the nice person picked up my
poles and returned them to me. Ever since then I've retrieved poles for
others whenever possible.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old January 9th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"The Real Bev" wrote in message news:8rchj.236
2a) Don't use the straps at all. Not recommended if you're skiing terrain
where you might have to self-arrest, but fine for most situations.

I don't use the straps, but they're handy if you have to hang your poles
somewhere. I'm aware of the theory of using your poles to self arrest and
even tried it once (not all that much call for it where I ski), but I can't
figure out how it might be done with your hands through the straps. I guess
you might do it with the pole attached to the lower hand just bumping around
on its own, but that sounds kind of problematical.

Grab the bottom end of one pole with the other hand, then dig it into the snow
with both hands, one at the grip and one near the tip. I've saved my butt a few
times doing it, once on an icy slope above a significant waterfall. The last
time, I broke off the last 8" of the old stainless steel pole. But I did stop. I
had skied with those poles for over 30 years.

It's one of the worries I have about snowboarding - nothing to arrest with.

Old January 9th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Bob F wrote:

(snip)

It's one of the worries I have about snowboarding - nothing to arrest with.

your point being?
Old January 10th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"VtSkier" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:

(snip)

It's one of the worries I have about snowboarding - nothing to arrest with.

your point being?

Uhmm? When I am snowboarding, I don't have poles to arrest with. Is it that
unclear?

Old January 10th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Bob F wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:

(snip)

It's one of the worries I have about snowboarding - nothing to arrest with.

your point being?

Uhmm? When I am snowboarding, I don't have poles to arrest with. Is it that
unclear?

Uhm, no, anti-snowboarder joke in mind. Sorry.
Old January 10th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Bob F wrote:

[...]

So one pole digs in and the other one just flops around?

It's one of the worries I have about snowboarding - nothing to arrest with.

I would have thought you'd use knees, elbows and chin :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't care who your father is! Drop that cross