Can I wear gloves with wrist guards when skiing?

Old January 3rd 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
potato

Default Can I wear gloves with wrist guards when skiing?

I'll be going skiing for my first time soon. I hurt my wrist
this summer. It's 98% fine now. But when I rotate my wrists,
my left wrist is a tad tighter than my right one. And I fear if
I fall on my left wrist again, it'll get hurt easily. Should I
wear a pair of gloves with wrist guards inside for my first ski
trip?

What if I go snowboarding? Also first time.

Thanks.

Old January 3rd 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

potato wrote:
I'll be going skiing for my first time soon. I hurt my wrist
this summer. It's 98% fine now. But when I rotate my wrists,
my left wrist is a tad tighter than my right one. And I fear if
I fall on my left wrist again, it'll get hurt easily. Should I
wear a pair of gloves with wrist guards inside for my first ski
trip?

What if I go snowboarding? Also first time.

Wrist guards are fairly common for boarders. I've never seen them on a
skier, but I don't see any reason why they'd be a problem.

The more important thing is to learn how to fall - don't try to catch
yourself by putting your hand out, that's how you break wrists and
thumbs (speaking from experience here...). DO try to land on your hip,
which can take a good solid hit without breaking.

//Walt
Old January 3rd 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

potato wrote:
I'll be going skiing for my first time soon. I hurt my wrist
this summer. It's 98% fine now. But when I rotate my wrists,
my left wrist is a tad tighter than my right one. And I fear if
I fall on my left wrist again, it'll get hurt easily. Should I
wear a pair of gloves with wrist guards inside for my first ski
trip?

What if I go snowboarding? Also first time.

Thanks.

If skiing, you will be using poles, I assume?
If so, you are less tempted to put your hands
out when you fall (attempt to no put your
hands out in any case) and if falling, simply
do so. Don't try to brake or otherwise limit
your fall by putting your hands our or your
knees. I see beginners all the time trying to
limit the fall by trying to land on a knee.
Very bad. Simply fall on the best padded portion
of your body.

As for snowboarding, I'd recommend full on
body armor including wrist splints for the first
three days. Butt pads are good too.
Old January 3rd 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Jan 3, 12:55*am, potato wrote:
I'll be going skiing for my first time soon. *I hurt my wrist
this summer. *It's 98% fine now. *But when I rotate my wrists,
my left wrist is a tad tighter than my right one. *And I fear if
I fall on my left wrist again, it'll get hurt easily. *Should I
wear a pair of gloves with wrist guards inside for my first ski
trip?

What if I go snowboarding? Also first time.

I am a snowboarder and would never go out without my under-the-glove
wrist guards. People will advise you to avoid using your hands to
break your fall, but that's easier said than done. It's difficult to
turn your body during a snowboard fall (especially in a straight ahead
or straight back "body slam") because your feet are immobile, so you
have little leverage. You will tend to extend your arms out of
instinct, so wrist guards are essential, IMO.

You will need to make sure your gloves fit over your wrist guards. I
don't know whether you plan to use the same gloves for skiing and
snowboarding, but ski gloves are often shorter and tighter, which
could make using wrist guards inconvenient (since skiers don't often
use them, that's not surprising). The best gloves to use with wrist
guards are large snowboard gloves with a long gauntlet (a cuff that
extends over your sleeve). You can tug on the gauntlet to pull the
gloves on over the guards.

Joe Ramirez
Old January 3rd 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
TexasSkiNut

On Jan 2, 11:55*pm, potato wrote:
I'll be going skiing for my first time soon. *I hurt my wrist
this summer. *It's 98% fine now. *But when I rotate my wrists,
my left wrist is a tad tighter than my right one. *And I fear if
I fall on my left wrist again, it'll get hurt easily. *Should I
wear a pair of gloves with wrist guards inside for my first ski
trip?

What if I go snowboarding? Also first time.

Thanks.

I wore a wrist brace while skiing after I got my cast off my broken
wrist. It was a fairly low profile one I got at the drugstore that
fit inside my gloves. Make sure your guard doesn't interfere with
holding the pole. Buying gloves with integrated wrist guards isn't
really necessary, but might be worth it if you take up snowboarding.
If the latter, also pick up some good knee pads and improvise a butt
pad (or buy one if you've got the $$$ to spare). I also wore pads on
my forearms after my first day of snowboarding. I wasn't smart enough
at the time to wear a helmet, but after banging my head on the hard
snow I wised up.

Another issue is thumb injuries when falling. most new skiers'
natural instinct is to put an open hand down on the snow in a fall.
Problem is, the pole is often still in their hand and depending on how
they use their straps, the thumb can get yanked pretty hard.
Hyperextended thumbs rank right up with knee injuries in terms of
number of on-snow injuries. When I was skiing fairly often, I
typically only used the straps when on steep slopes where I thought I
might need the poles to help stop a slide. Here's a description of
what I consider the correct way to use pole straps that someone posted
here a long time ago:

On Nov 21 1999, 2:00 am, "Simon Watkins"
wrote:
I could be teaching Grandma to suck eggs here, but how do you hold your straps?
The reason I ask, is that I suffered a nasty thumb injury when I first
started skiing. Turns out I had my hands through the straps incorrectly. I
had been placing my hands through the top of the loop then grasping the pole.
What I should have been doing, and have been doing since, is bringing
my hands up through the loop, then closing my hand around the pole, thus
sandwiching the strap between palm and pole.

If you are threading your hand through incorrectly, and then take a fall,
the pole does not clear the hand, and is restrained by the strap, thus when
you put your hands out in front of you, your thumb sticks in the snow on
side of the pole, whilst your weight and inertia tries to separate it from
your hand!

Going up through the loop means that if you release your grip on the pole,
it just dangles from your wrist, out of the way. I had several minor thumb
injuries doing it the wrong way, before having my major thumb wrench! That
is when the instructor saw that I didn't like using the straps anymore, and
realised what I'd been doing wrong. Ever since, I've used straps, and have
never suffered the dreaded skiers thumb.

If you don't use straps, you are potentially endangering others if you have
a yard sale on the slopes.

Anyway, like I said, I didn't want to teach Grandma to suck eggs, but I've
seen so many people using straps the wrong way, that it might have been a
possibility.

Simon