An RSA.Mod History Question

Old May 1st 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default An RSA.Mod History Question

Walt wrote:

Any snow left? Is there more than when I was there in December?

Yep. And yep.

Except the Powdr Corp dip****s closed the lifts Sunday afternoon, with
all that fine CSM* left to ski on. Got a fair number of days in, tho, in
spite of the weird Bush weather.

Timed it just right - finished last locker Urquel Sunday afternoon also.

[* California Spring Mush]
Old May 1st 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Jeff Davis wrote:

I took College Physics from Art Denison.

Richard Feynman picked my friend's dufflebag lock at Caltech freshman camp.
My husband's advisor was Linus Pauling.

--
Cheers, Bev
Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.
Old May 1st 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
clarencedarrow

On Apr 30, 3:06 pm, (Jeff Davis) wrote:
In article ,
Lost Balls Baker wrote:

I took College Physics from Art Denison.

You took a Physics course from a Materials Engineer? Hate to tell you
this , dumb****, thousands of government scientists moonlight teaching
at local community colleges. This guy has no reputation and yet you
throw it out like he was John Compton or Neils Bohr.

You, on the other hand, continue
to bluster and bull****- and get caught lying regularly.

Scottie..er....Jeffie, If you're going to pick someone to name drop,
you really ought to do a better job. You're a such a stupid fool.

The person who pontificates the loudest isn't correct
by default.

Then why do you keep up this bull****? You haven't been right since
you been posting here.

You are a charlatan and a fraud.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Goo d to see you haven't
lost your sense of humor.

Old May 1st 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
kk7sm

On Apr 30, 2:06 pm, (Jeff Davis) wrote:

I took College Physics from Art Denison. You, on the other hand, continue
to bluster and bull****- and get caught lying regularly. Unices come in
several flavors, and if you were familiar with the command line interpreter
idiocyncracies of several of them, you'd know they all evolved out of the
same AT&T genetic ancestry. SunOS uses both version 7 and System V
characteristis. The person who pontificates the loudest isn't correct
by default.

I really wish you'd stop saying that. It's just plain wrong.

Nobody in his right mind contrasts "Version 7 Unix" to System V.
Version 7
Unix begat System V Unix. They're father and son. Version 7 and
System
V are both traditional AT&T Unix.

What people who actually use Unix compare and contrast is System V vs.
BSD. Now, we don't really talk about a command line interpreter,
because
there are so many, and most of them are the same between the various
Unices - I mean, a Korn shell is a Korn shell, is a Korn shell, unless
it's not
the AT&T Korn shell, but the pdksh (Public Domain Korn Shell).

Yeah, some of the commands have different switches and the like, and
there's
a perfectly good reason for that - BSD and AT&T System V have
different
models for memory management, process accounting, and scheduling.

How did this happen? System V was written by Bell Labs, then AT&T
while
BSD was written by the University of California at Berkeley. UC
Berkeley
licensed the Unix name from AT&T and BSD is a legitimate unix. BSD
was
developed in a parallel branch from one of the predecessors to System
7.

Now, down to your stuff about SunOS... SunOS 5 is System V. SunOS 4
is
vanilla BSD. SunOS 5 has some of the old BSD-looking commands in the
filesystem /usr/ucb. Those were ported to SunOS 5 so that old System
Administrators who had done SunOS 4 could transition to the new
stuff.
Still, when you get into the nuts and bolts, interprocess
communication,
shared memory management, and all of that, it's System V.

Now, I don't know employee #3 at Sun, so you can go call him up and
ask.
I'm OK with that. I kind of feel bad for the guy anyway, because I
don't think
Sun's going to limp along much longer. I mean, back in the day, they
put
the dot in dotcom, but Solaris is really weak compared to the
alternatives
(AIX, HP-UX, both of which have a real logical volume manager) and
when you
compare the price of hardware and software to PCs running Linux, and
the
real lack of performance in the SPARC processor compared to PowerPC or
any of the newer Intel or AMD processors, there's no reason to go to
Sparc/
Solaris. And Solaris x86 is a joke.

The acquisition of StorageTek helped some, but now ADIC/Quantum and
some
of the other players like SpectraLogic are really taking off... And
STK's disk
systems, for lack of a better term, really suck when compared to EMC,
HDS
and NetApp. Sun's sort of like Radio Shack - nobody knows how they're
still
in business.

No offense to any Sun folks here - just maybe keep your resume
polished
because I wish you well. :-)

And Jeff, stop pontificating the loudest. ;-)

Old May 1st 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Sven Golly wrote:
The Real Bev wrote in
:

Richard Feynman picked my friend's dufflebag lock at Caltech freshman
camp.
My husband's advisor was Linus Pauling.

Lewis Duke Baltz was my photography arts teach for two semesters.
Cole Westin and Brett Westin both tought clasess I as in.

I took a math class from Tom Lehrer and UC Santa Cruz. I think he showed
up 2x and didn't play the piano either time.

My Broadcast Adv. class was taught by the station manager for Channel 7
(ABC) in LA.

I used to work with Armen Katayan the NFL sideline commentator.

I've skied with Seth Masia, Peter Keelty, Dave McCoy and have had lunch
the Mahres. Or John Newcombe too.

End of name dropping.

In spite of personal connections with several of your drops, I've got to
say Feynman and Pauling drop with a bigger impact.

I'll counter-drop Heisenberg.

Can anyone throw in Einstein? that might get the silly season off to a
bang-up start...
Old May 1st 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:

I'll counter-drop Heisenberg.

Are you sure about that?
Old May 1st 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article . com,
kk7sm wrote:

Sun's sort of like Radio Shack - nobody knows how they're
still in business.

I'm guessing you saw this, but I'm posting it out of it's sheer
awesomeness:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...figure_out_how

I like the graph the best.

Dave
Old May 1st 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
kk7sm

On May 1, 1:39 pm, Dave Cartman wrote:

I'm guessing you saw this, but I'm posting it out of it's sheer
awesomeness:

LOL - I saw that, but we've been trying to figure out how RS stays in
business
for a long time. I mean, there's only so many cell phones and weird
contraptions
you can sell...

I'm a ham radio operator and I can't even get the stuff I need at
Radio Shack.

I love The Onion. :-)

Old May 1st 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:
Sven Golly wrote:

End of name dropping.

as if.

In spite of personal connections with several of your drops, I've got to
say Feynman and Pauling drop with a bigger impact.

I'll counter-drop Heisenberg.

Can anyone throw in Einstein?

Sure. I've got a box right here that has Einstein, Heisenberg and a cat
inside. Of course, if you open it to check they may or may not still be
there....

//Walt
Old May 1st 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Dave Cartman wrote:

I'm guessing you saw this, but I'm posting it out of it's sheer
awesomeness:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...figure_out_how

Heh! I just this very moment returned from visiting a Radio Shack where
I bought an AAA battery box with built-in switch which I will use to fix
this piece-o-crap battery box on my fan goggles. My wife bought fan
goggles about 15 years ago which still work fine so when my fine optical
orbs degraded to the point of glasses I went out and bought my own fan
goggles. Turns out they've improved the battery box and switch to the
point of non-functionality. Thank Ullr that Radio Shack still exists and
carries weird oddball snow ski equipment, even if the boss doesn't
realize that's what his company is - a ski gear company.