Bindings and broken legs

Old December 23rd 03, 10:48 PM
John Mason

Default Bindings and broken legs

Tele, x-country and silvretta type ski touring bindings all appear to be
fixed at the toe and will not allow the foot to release from the toe. I
remember the terrible number of downhill skiers who suffered broken legs
before toe release safety bindings were invented. Are these bindings not
dangerous? If not why do downhill skiers bother with toe release bindings?

Old December 24th 03, 04:36 AM

Old December 24th 03, 03:38 PM
Frank Wiles

I can't speak to the tele binding issue, but I have both Silvretta &
Tourlite bindings on my AT rigs and both have boot release in two
directions: for a forward fall they release at the heel, and for a twisting
fall they release under the foot (popping out at the heel & toe). Poorly
described, but suffice to say that they release in both directions just like
downhill gear. Indeed, I've experienced both kinds of falls on AT gear with
perfect release characteristics.

Old December 24th 03, 03:56 PM
RBM

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. After all, my skiing is hardly
impeccable. But I can't count the number of times I've popped out of
my "non-safety" cable bindings. Admittedly, it's usually during a face
plant, when my T2's tend to flex and seemingly allow the toe to
twist/pull out of my Riva II cable bindings.
Old December 25th 03, 02:39 PM
John Mason

I saw on the Silvretta website that they rotate out at the back but I am not
convinced that this is of much use in the situation where the body is
rotating purely about the heel (much less useful compared to a toe release
binding). The reason is that there is so much more force required to break
open the binding at the heel than at the toe - measuring my foot I measure
five times the distance from the toe to the ball of my foot compared to the
heel. This will roughly equate to five times the force needed to hold the
foot safely in position at the heel compared to at the toe.

I believe that the binding setting at the heel that is required to allow the
heel to brake away when it needs to will be so low that the binding will
pre-release extremely easily. This is just for a pure rotating fall such
that might cause a spiral fracture of the tibia or a trashing of the ACL.
Where there is some sideward motion too I suspect the rear releasable
binding gives adequate protection. I believe you can only protect the leg
properly and at the same time prevent a binding pre-release by using a toe
release binding.

Old December 25th 03, 05:07 PM
klaus

Bob Lee wrote:
There have been times when I was glad my tele bindings didn't release,
and I have never seriously wished they would have...but I've never been
caught in an avalanche knock wood.

They'll come off in a slide. The question is how much of you they take
with them.

-klaus

Old December 25th 03, 07:40 PM
Frank Wiles

"John Mason" wrote in message
I saw on the Silvretta website that they rotate out at the back but I am

not
convinced that this is of much use in the situation where the body is
rotating purely about the heel (much less useful compared to a toe release
binding).

Do you own a pair John? I've got a couple pair of silvrettas and a pair of
tourlites and they release just fine when a twisting motion is applied.

The reason is that there is so much more force required to break
open the binding at the heel than at the toe - measuring my foot I measure
five times the distance from the toe to the ball of my foot compared to

the
heel. This will roughly equate to five times the force needed to hold the
foot safely in position at the heel compared to at the toe.

Bad science! A twisting force is a twisting force. Indeed, if the twisting
force is acting from the leg's center, it would be acting at a greater
distance (and take more leverage) to pop out at the toe than it would to pop
out the heel, would it not?. I just tried the experiment on my living room
floor and they both (standard downhill binding & silvretta) take about the
same force when set @ 7 to pop out.

For what it's worth, I injured my ankle last year in a twisting fall using a
pair of standard downhill bindings. Never had a problem with the
silvrettas.

I believe that the binding setting at the heel that is required to allow

the
heel to brake away when it needs to will be so low that the binding will
pre-release extremely easily.

Hmm, mine don't. Are you saying your's do, or do you know someone who
complains of this problem?

This is just for a pure rotating fall such
that might cause a spiral fracture of the tibia or a trashing of the ACL.
Where there is some sideward motion too I suspect the rear releasable
binding gives adequate protection. I believe you can only protect the leg
properly and at the same time prevent a binding pre-release by using a toe
release binding.

Based upon what?

Cheers,
Frank

Old December 26th 03, 12:13 PM
John Mason

"John Mason" wrote in message
I saw on the Silvretta website that they rotate out at the back but I am

not
convinced that this is of much use in the situation where the body is
rotating purely about the heel (much less useful compared to a toe

release
binding).

Do you own a pair John? I've got a couple pair of silvrettas and a pair

of
tourlites and they release just fine when a twisting motion is applied.

I rent silvrettas.

[...]

I do not make any claim to do proper science, this is only theory and common
sense. I am looking for evidence and information to support my thinking.

Your point is just the point I am making. It is because it takes so much
more force at the toe - perhaps five times the force compared to the heel to
release the foot in a twisting fall that I cannot believe that the heel
release can provide the same protection as the toe yet hold the heel
sufficiently firmly to prevent a pre-release.

Try standing with the weight on your heel and rotate the body about the
lower leg's axis and see if the Silvretta pops out. I would be surprised if
you can get them to release without also pushing to the side.

For what it's worth, I injured my ankle last year in a twisting fall using

pair of standard downhill bindings. Never had a problem with the
silvrettas.

Many accidents occur in perfectly set up bindings and the accidents are
caused by applying forces to the knee or elsewhere in a way that the
bindings cannot give protection, for more info see:

http://www.ski-injury.com/knee.htm#M...MENT%20SPRAINS

I believe that the binding setting at the heel that is required to allow

the
heel to brake away when it needs to will be so low that the binding will
pre-release extremely easily.

Hmm, mine don't. Are you saying your's do, or do you know someone who
complains of this problem?

I am saying, as implied above that if you don't pre-release then you are not
getting the same protection from a rotating injury that a toe release will
give.

This is just for a pure rotating fall such
that might cause a spiral fracture of the tibia or a trashing of the

ACL.
Where there is some sideward motion too I suspect the rear releasable
binding gives adequate protection. I believe you can only protect the

leg
properly and at the same time prevent a binding pre-release by using a

toe
release binding.

Based upon what?

Based on all the above.

What prompted this request for more info is that I know someone who had a
spiral fracture with Silvrettas. Since toe release bindings on alpine skis
were adopted in the 1970s I have seen the incidence of "legs in plaster" go
from very high down to insignificantly low. A 90% reduction is reported of
mainly tibia injuries in Sports Med 1999 Jul;28(1):35-48 (ISSN:
0112-1642).

Old December 27th 03, 04:24 PM

Old December 27th 03, 07:27 PM
David Off

lac.stanford.edu wrote:
There's a lot
of engineering and standards in todays's Alpine bindings that
just aren't there in ANY AT binding[1].

The Naxo and Sk'Alp 8007, being based on Alpine bindings are probably as
safe.

Adjusting old Tryolia 220 bindings JIm Restifo Alpine Skiing (moderated) 2 January 30th 05 04:35 AM
Replacement bindings for Snow Blades Steve Alpine Skiing 36 April 7th 04 04:45 PM
Bindings for Salomon Snow Blades Steve Marketplace 0 March 30th 04 07:12 PM
flow bindings jakob Snowboarding 1 January 15th 04 03:24 AM
Forward Lean Question - w/ new Ride bindings toddjb Snowboarding 5 December 9th 03 03:36 PM