Scottish snow history? Nevis range

Old March 2nd 04, 11:51 AM
John Ricketts

Default Scottish snow history? Nevis range

OK, so I'm greedy.... I just got back from a fantastic trip to Chamonix 3
weeks back, fantastic snow conditions, suberb off-piste down the Vallee
Blanche and Argentiere glacier.... (another story!).

However, my kids whinged like mad (this was a men-only trip) so I am trying
to get them some late skiing on the cheap. I have booked a lodge in Fort
William (Scotland) for 3rd April for the week. I have previously had a
failed ski trip to Scotland (not a flake to be seen), but with the Nevis
range having skiing to 4000 feet am hoping to find a bit of snow for the
kids somewhere up there.

I don't seem to be able to find any snow history for the Nevis range in any
of the usual places. Can anyone (Scottish locals?) fill me in on the chances
of finding snow there in early April?

tia,

John

Old March 2nd 04, 04:36 PM
David Brown :o\)

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/rep...cal/report.asp

Then go to Nevis Range

--
David Brown )
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

Old March 2nd 04, 07:31 PM
Carl_M

I don't seem to be able to find any snow history for the Nevis range in any
of the usual places. Can anyone (Scottish locals?) fill me in on the chances
of finding snow there in early April?

tia,

John

John,

You will have to be lucky, I would say the chances of any lifts being
open is about 50/50 but if they are open there will be a few runs with
a thin cover. I havn't skied Nevis range but Aviemore is about as
high. Also be aware that flat light/fog and high winds is the normal
in Scotland and clear sunny days are the exception. The skiclub does
quote historic figures see

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/rep...al/default.asp

but the 40cm upper and 10cm lower is misleading, if you look at the
individual years they is only 3 years of data 2 years of n/a (ie no
skiable snow) and one year at 40cm/10cm (OK on the upper runs but
watch your bases on the lower runs)

The good news is that most of the summer activities and tourist
attractions start at the beginning of April and the midge will not
have arrived by then. Treat is as a holiday in the Scottish highlands
and if you get the chance to ski it is a bonus, you go and expect to
ski you are likely to be disappointed where you could have a great
time with or without snow.

On a more general point I would not recommend booking a ski holiday in
Scotland more than a few days in advance, if the reports are good and
you can pack the car and go then do so (although if you are further
South than Northern England you may as well go to the Alps). Booking
weeks in advance is a lottery.

Carl
Old March 3rd 04, 12:44 AM
Greg Hilton

You will have to be lucky, I would say the chances of any lifts being
open is about 50/50 but if they are open there will be a few runs with
a thin cover. I havn't skied Nevis range but Aviemore is about as
high.

just to be optimistic I have skied both Nevis and Aviemore on the 13th
and 14th of May in 1994 (pics here) with good coverage.

http://www.gregh.co.uk/html/ski.htm

I've also skied Nevis on the 21st April 2001 with good coverage and
great skiing in the Back Corries, as well as the 8th April 2000.

Having said that the past few years I think all skiing has been finished
either before or just into April.

regards,

greg

Old March 3rd 04, 12:44 AM
'Hog

Greg Hilton wrote:
You will have to be lucky, I would say the chances of any lifts being
open is about 50/50 but if they are open there will be a few runs
with a thin cover. I havn't skied Nevis range but Aviemore is about
as high.

just to be optimistic I have skied both Nevis and Aviemore on the 13th
and 14th of May in 1994 (pics here) with good coverage.

http://www.gregh.co.uk/html/ski.htm

I've also skied Nevis on the 21st April 2001 with good coverage and
great skiing in the Back Corries, as well as the 8th April 2000.

Having said that the past few years I think all skiing has been
finished either before or just into April.

1996 (I think) wew skied Glencoe on the 10th October with excellent cover!
The sooner the Gulf stream inverts the better.

--
'Hog

Old March 12th 04, 01:44 AM
gronski

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message ...
just to be optimistic I have skied both Nevis and Aviemore on the 13th
and 14th of May in 1994 (pics here) with good coverage.

I've had several good April weekends in Glencoe and Aonach Mor over last 10 years.
One year we had decent snow in Aonach Mor as late as 26th of May.
I would not advise booking ahead though. Best phone up at Friday lunch time
and only drive up if the snow conditions and the weather forecast are OK.

Old March 12th 04, 11:51 AM
John Ricketts

thanks, but have already booked a lodge for 3rd april so am going anyway!
Fingers crossed for a cold break.....

Woke up to snow here this morning (Gloucester!)... might be out skiing the
golf course this afternoon! (although it seems to be melting already :-(

Old March 12th 04, 04:52 PM
Greg Hilton

"John Ricketts" wrote in
:

thanks, but have already booked a lodge for 3rd april so am going
anyway! Fingers crossed for a cold break.....

When you go, make sure you check out conditions at all the areas, sometimes
one area is bare of snow and another is fully open!!

regards,

greg

Old March 15th 04, 11:35 AM
John Ricketts

thanks. I've got a fancy mobile, and already pointed the browser to the
winter-highlands site.....almost real-time update of lift status too.....
pretty cool!

Latest forecast is showing Nevis with 9" snow at top, and 6" lower down for
friday after the mid-week thaw (which is now not expected to be as bad as
predicted earlier)!...... fingers crossed!

Old March 15th 04, 12:59 PM
Greg Hilton

"John Ricketts" wrote in
:

thanks. I've got a fancy mobile, and already pointed the browser to
the winter-highlands site.....almost real-time update of lift status
too..... pretty cool!

Latest forecast is showing Nevis with 9" snow at top, and 6" lower
down for friday after the mid-week thaw (which is now not expected to

looks like snow forecast later this week as well. Nevis have some great
off piste skiing over the back, off the Braveheart chair, but I don't
think it's opened this year!!

btw where is the winter-highlands site? I thought that closed down? I
check he

http://ski.visitscotland.com/conditions/

regards,

greg