"Climate changes melting tourism in Swiss Alps"

Old March 14th 06, 04:50 AM

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:

wrote:
Climate changes melting tourism in Swiss Alps
at http://www.washtimes.com/world/20060...1635-2501r.htm

One of the feared consequences of the current warming trend is the

Greenland
icecap melting, changing the mass balance of the Atlantic surface water,
thus upsetting the flow of the Gulf Stream. If that happens, they will

be
skiing down to Sicily.

Isn't there a reason it's called Greenland rather than Whiteland?

1. The obvious name (Iceland) had already been used.

2. It was a real estate marketing ploy.

Old March 14th 06, 04:51 AM

VtSkier wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
Vincent Walker wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

Isn't there a reason it's called Greenland rather than Whiteland?

Scientists are now saying that the Earth is reversing it's polarity.

All
compasses will wind up pointing south. Imagine what that'll do. The
theory is that the reversing of polarity was the reason that Mars
eventually lost its atmosphere. Oh well.............

Forget that crap, where can I get a reversable compass?

Actually it won't matter, as long as you know your
compass will point south instead of north. It'll
be like learning the metric system by throwing away
your imperial measuring devices and buying metric
devices.

No it won't!

OK, smartass, will east and west switch too? Does it rotate or flip?

Being an electrical engineer, I want to know if electrons will become
positive.

Old March 14th 06, 04:52 AM

VtSkier wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
Vincent Walker wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

Isn't there a reason it's called Greenland rather than Whiteland?

Scientists are now saying that the Earth is reversing it's
polarity. All
compasses will wind up pointing south. Imagine what that'll do. The
theory is that the reversing of polarity was the reason that Mars
eventually lost its atmosphere. Oh well.............

Forget that crap, where can I get a reversable compass?

Actually it won't matter, as long as you know your
compass will point south instead of north. It'll
be like learning the metric system by throwing away
your imperial measuring devices and buying metric
devices.

No it won't!

OK, smartass, will east and west switch too? Does it rotate or flip?

It'll be whatever the Bureau of Standards decides it is.
It's all arbitrary anyway.

Now how's that for a (non) answer?

As long as Those In Authority know, I guess I don't need to.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 14th 06, 04:53 AM

"Vincent Walker" [email protected] wrote in
message news:MTE0MjI5NTAxNC5waGF0cGhpbA.1142295014@nulluse r.com...
lal_truckee wrote:

Vincent Walker wrote:
The theory is that the reversing of polarity was the
reason that Mars eventually lost its atmosphere.

What theory is that, pray tell?

I saw this on Nova on PBS. Basically besides gravity the atmosphere is

believed to be held in
place by magnetic forces. As the molten cores of the terran planets cool

over time their
magnetic fields reverse and weaken. Mars, by the combination of its

smaller size and
position in the solar system - theoretically of course - eventually lost

its ability to hold an
atmosphere in place.

Indirectly, yes. The lack of a magnetic field means that the solar wind
will erode the atmosphere more easily. However, if it flips, it is
stillthere protecting us.

Old March 14th 06, 04:57 AM

Ted Waldron wrote:

VtSkier wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
wrote:

Climate changes melting tourism in Swiss Alps at
http://www.washtimes.com/world/20060...1635-2501r.htm

One of the feared consequences of the current warming trend is the
Greenland icecap melting, changing the mass balance of the
Atlantic surface water, thus upsetting the flow of the Gulf Stream.
If that happens, they will be skiing down to Sicily.

Isn't there a reason it's called Greenland rather than Whiteland?

Eleventh century marketing.

To defend a convicted murderer like Erik the Red for a moment, when he
went to Greenland, much of Europe and the Northern Hemisphere was much
warmer than a couple centuries later, when a little Ice Age descended on
Europe. (The guesses are sun spots to volcanic eruptions, with the ash
blocking out the sun rays) I believe that they could actually farmed on
the Southern Tip of Greenland at the time. by the middle of the 15th
Century the settlements Erik the Red started were abandoned, and the
settlers went back to cod liver cusine of Iceland and Norway.

But we're pretty sure that this cooling (or the previous warming) wasn't
caused by anything the Vikings did, right?

Old March 14th 06, 04:59 AM

klaus wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

OK, Mr. Scientist, will magnetic south be exactly where magnetic north is
now, or will it be in a slightly different place, or maybe even on the
actual rotational pole?

Highly doubtful it would be even close to anything mirrow image of
now. Same for rotational pole.

So it's NOT impossible that Pasadena could become magnetic north? Or that
(blush) the world actually COULD revolve around me?

Kewl.

Old March 14th 06, 05:37 AM

Richard Henry wrote:

wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
Vincent Walker wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

[...]

And will drains swirl the other way? We'll have to reprint all our maps,
too. Damn, this isn't really a simple thing, is it?

Old March 14th 06, 12:15 PM

Ted Waldron wrote:
In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

wrote:

[...]

-ted

They certainly did farm the ice-free areas around the fjords.
I had a book, which I can't put my finger on, called the
"Greenlanders".

You think about failure. In actuality, the Viking settlements
(there were two) lasted about 350 years and ships from Europe
visited those settlements every year and Greenland had it's
own bishop.

Ted, the time period when the last ships came to Greenland and
there was no one to greet them was around 1350. The middle of
the 14th century. The first settlements were made about 1000.

Greenland had no wood for fuel or building material. They got
their wood from Labrador and Newfoundland. They just didn't
feel the need to colonize those areas. Plus the natives weren't
too friendly. Fuel was more likely to have been animal
droppings. The Greenlanders did have cattle for milk and meat.
I don't know if there were/are any peat beds for fuel as
there are in other north European areas.

The main reason for the eventual failure of the colony was
that the people were unable/unwilling to give up their
European lifestyle when the environment would no longer
support it. Yes, it did get colder as it did over the
entire norther hemisphere. The Inuit did and still do quite
well in spite of the cold.
Old March 14th 06, 12:17 PM

VtSkier wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Vincent Walker wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Isn't there a reason it's called Greenland rather than Whiteland?

Scientists are now saying that the Earth is reversing it's polarity.

All

compasses will wind up pointing south. Imagine what that'll do. The
theory is that the reversing of polarity was the reason that Mars
eventually lost its atmosphere. Oh well.............

Forget that crap, where can I get a reversable compass?

Actually it won't matter, as long as you know your
compass will point south instead of north. It'll
be like learning the metric system by throwing away
your imperial measuring devices and buying metric
devices.

No it won't!

OK, smartass, will east and west switch too? Does it rotate or flip?

Being an electrical engineer, I want to know if electrons will become
positive.

Positrons? Anti-matter? Fuel for your starship? inquiring minds, etc.
Old March 14th 06, 12:18 PM

The Real Bev wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Vincent Walker wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

[...]

Oh, c'mon, you know as well as I do, "Those in Authority"
don't know anything, they just make it up.