"Refugees" Refuse to Board Plane to Utah

Old September 8th 05, 05:42 AM
The Real Bev

klaus wrote:

Getting back to the original thread subject, nearly 150 of the 950 or so
evacuees here have applied to set up residence in Utah. They seem to
like the mountains and people according to the interviews I saw. Some
thought the mountains were fake. I saw a lot of evacuees being taken
around the canyon today by their hosts. The best way I can describe
their reaction to the mountains is that they had the demeanor of someone
in the Taj Mahal or some temple. Really struck me.

Not hard to believe that people from New Orleans would think mountains are
fake. Remember, there's a Matterhorn at Disney World...

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3007142

One of the nicest stories to come out of this whole sorry mess is about the
six-year-old boy taking care of half a dozen smaller children. Lordy.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 8th 05, 03:20 PM
klaus

bdubya wrote:

You sure about that? I'm an extremely erudite, educated and
well-traveled guy, but I have most definitely had my share of
capital-G Gaper moments...not you?

Maybe I have the wrong definition of gaper? I'm still learning the
language. I thought gaper was someone clueless about the surroundings,
not in awe of it.

-klaus
Old September 8th 05, 03:38 PM
Walt

klaus wrote:
bdubya wrote:

You sure about that? I'm an extremely erudite, educated and
well-traveled guy, but I have most definitely had my share of
capital-G Gaper moments...not you?

Maybe I have the wrong definition of gaper? I'm still learning the
language. I thought gaper was someone clueless about the surroundings,
not in awe of it.

Official definition:

gape Pronunciation (gÄ?p, gp)
intr.v. gaped, gap·ing, gapes
1. To open the mouth wide; yawn.
2. To stare wonderingly or stupidly, often with the mouth open.
See Synonyms at gaze.
3. To open wide: The curtains gaped when the wind blew.

Gap´er (gÄ?p´ẽr) n.
1. One who gapes.
2. (Zool.) A European fish. See 4th Comber.

Slang terms:

o A skier who pauses to take in the scenery.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getawa...97/glos16.html

o A gaper is a stone black man's head on the front of a building in the
Netherlands usually indicating it is a pharmacy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaper

//Walt
//
// Gapers Annonymous
Old September 8th 05, 04:11 PM
klaus

Walt wrote:
klaus wrote:

Official definition:

gape Pronunciation (gÄ?p, gp)
intr.v. gaped, gap·ing, gapes
1. To open the mouth wide; yawn.
2. To stare wonderingly or stupidly, often with the mouth open.
See Synonyms at gaze.
3. To open wide: The curtains gaped when the wind blew.

Cool. learn something everyday.

-klaus
Old September 8th 05, 10:51 PM
Chriggity

Yeah that story was simply amazing.

There's a sociological statement to be made about that, Im just too
dumb and lazy to think it up.

Old September 8th 05, 11:48 PM
The Real Bev

Chriggity wrote:

Yeah that story was simply amazing.

There's a sociological statement to be made about that, Im just too
dumb and lazy to think it up.

Easy: People are a whole lot nicer and more capable than we think they are.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be true often enough.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old September 9th 05, 12:55 PM
pigo

"Richard Henry" wrote in message

Have the missionaries been around yet?

You can bet they're being sized up by them. The cult leadership is
clever enough to know that their interference is expected so I'm sure
that there is a tactic for sneaking it in one them. You can be sure
that new victims is the reason for the "generosity" though.

Old September 9th 05, 12:57 PM
pigo

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
m...

Sometimes dyslexia provides unwarranted hope. I read that to be an
offer of of "permutation of the characters LDS" on that bus. I'd
hope on the bus, too.

Ken and Augustus, we need you, come on back. And bring the bus,
please.

I've seen pictures of several hundred school busses underwater in
N.O. Maybe you could get one of those?

Old September 10th 05, 01:16 AM
klaus

pigo wrote:
"Richard Henry" wrote in message

Have the missionaries been around yet?

You can bet they're being sized up by them. The cult leadership is
clever enough to know that their interference is expected so I'm sure
that there is a tactic for sneaking it in one them. You can be sure
that new victims is the reason for the "generosity" though.

And it's still more than you're doing. You don't have *any* reason to be
generous. Just bitter. I think I'll go with them. Thanks. Until you pony
up, shut up.

-klaus
Old September 10th 05, 11:54 AM
Sue

In message , klaus
writes
Getting back to the original thread subject, nearly 150 of the 950 or
so evacuees here have applied to set up residence in Utah. They

Applied to?
Do they need permission? Whose?

Enquiring minds etc

--
Sue ]8(

The instigator of the latest devastating attack on the USA
allegedly lives in "Heaven". They gonna invade there?

new board time? Yup Snowboarding 6 May 21st 05 07:30 PM
Board spec question and the Burton Baron Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 2 April 11th 05 05:42 PM
advice on board? Mario Snowboarding 10 January 11th 05 12:00 AM
Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 02:08 PM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 05:22 PM