Review: Burton Gore Gloves

Old January 8th 05, 05:35 AM

Default Review: Burton Gore Gloves

I suppose this might be more of a rant than a true review, but I will
try and throw in the positive aspects of the glove. Much of my
negative take on the glove is probably irrelevant for the under version
.... as I have the outer.

So far I have about 20 days in on my new pair of '04/'05 Burton Gore
gloves and have used them under most conditions except springtime
slush.

My major complaint is that the "gator" is NOT sufficiently large
enough. If you're going to use a gatored glove, you don't want to have
to struggle at all to get your hand into the glove while you're out on
the slopes. Also, in conjunction with the gator being too small, the
draw string has a tendency to have a memory - even with the "quick
release" pulled all the way out.

An extra inch of fabric on the gator (extending in the same trajectory)
would make a world of difference for this glove! What frustrates me is
that this glove could've been excellent on the outside (I'll get to the
inner liner soon) if it weren't for this issue. I really think this
single issue reduces the overall total level of functionality in a
significant way ... to the point that I would not purchase it again if
not corrected. I feel it's essential to be able to take your gloves on
and off throughout the day without a lot of effort.

My guess is there was probably either someone sitting at a computer
giving cost analysis (on less fabric), or there was a fashion designer
getting their two cents weighed in a lot more than necessary.

Nonetheless, once the glove is on your hand it feels good and works
really well. The fabric on the palm appears to be very durable and has
a nice grip. In fact, the fabric on the palm extends up and over one's
finger nails and then sewn onto the top layer of fabric over the back
of one's fingers. I imagine such a design will give the glove a lot
more durability ... since this is where I typically have "blown out"
most of my old gloves.

Most of the shell has double stitching.

As far as the inner liner is concerned, my major complaint is there is
NOT a velcro tether to the outer shell. This only adds to the
clumsiness of getting the glove on and off. I've found that if I pull
my hand out of the liner (leaving the liner in the shell), then
sometimes it's hard to get my hand back into the liner/glove without
having to pull the liner out entirely and start from scratch.

To make things worse, the safety straps on both gloves ripped off after
a few days. I'm sure I'll eventually have to retreive a dropped glove
under a lift.

Generally, I believe gloves will almost never be as warm as mittens,
but I think the Gore ranks ok in the glove category.

My hands have been entirely dry so far, but I haven't encountered
spring slush with the gloves yet.

I believe this glove almost epitomizes being "so close, but yet so
far". In other words, I'm not trying to disparage Burton, but rather
trying to encourage a better direction.

Eric

Old January 11th 05, 09:45 PM
Chris J.

Thanks for the review!

After years of riding exclusevily with mittens and removeable liners, I
switcehd to (Dakine) gloves last season. A thicker pair for colder
conditions, and a pipe glove type design for warmer conditions. No liners to
remove for drying, no hassle getting the liners back in correctly, and added
dexterity for fiddling with bindings and zippers. Together they cost about
the same as a good pair of mittens, with all the nice features (leashes,
nose wipe material, plastic ice/water scraper, thick palm material etc.).
I've stayed comfortable in sub-zero conditions with the thick ones, and I
really like the pipe gloves when it's warmer.

Chris

oups.com...