CASI or PSIA instructor manuals

Old December 31st 04, 04:05 AM
Heather

Default CASI or PSIA instructor manuals

Hello again

In order to educate myself a little more about how the
professionals teach as well as hopefully correct some of
my own lazy habits that I may have got into, I am considering
buying the "AASI Snowboard Manual" and the "AASI Snowboard
Movement Analysis Handbook" from their site.

https://www.psia.org/oms/store05/home.asp?cat=EDU&sub=2

If they had a DVD instead of a VHS, I would get that instead
of the second book perhaps.

Does anybody have any comments on these for self-learning ?
Or are they useless without taking the course ?

I have actuallly read somewhere that the Canadians' CASI
literature is better but I was unable to find any of
their instructor manuals available on
http://www.casi-acms.com
Does anybody know where to get them ?
Thank you all and happy new year

Heather

Old December 31st 04, 10:06 PM
lonerider

Heather wrote:
Hello again

In order to educate myself a little more about how the
professionals teach as well as hopefully correct some of
my own lazy habits that I may have got into, I am considering
buying the "AASI Snowboard Manual" and the "AASI Snowboard
Movement Analysis Handbook" from their site.

https://www.psia.org/oms/store05/home.asp?cat=EDU&sub=2

If they had a DVD instead of a VHS, I would get that instead
of the second book perhaps.

Does anybody have any comments on these for self-learning ?
Or are they useless without taking the course ?

I have actuallly read somewhere that the Canadians' CASI
literature is better but I was unable to find any of
their instructor manuals available on
http://www.casi-acms.com
Does anybody know where to get them ?
Thank you all and happy new year

Heather

From what I've read, many instructors think the AASI materials are a

good *starting point* (although they were written in 1998 according to
the website) they are not the definitive authority on snowboard
technique or teaching - and many will teach stuff in addition or
different from the AASI manual. Some people prefer CASI to AASI and
some view all such organizations with a bit of contempt.

Here are a few topic I found, searching for AASI on BOL

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...highlight=AASI

So it sounds like it could give you some basic pointers, however... I
think a lot of the bad habits we get are subconscious and you only can
fix those if you have someone else watch you, or video yourself riding
and compare that to what you think you should be doing.

So I'm not saying that getting the AASI stuff is a waste of money, just
that you still will probably need to augment it with lessons and video
review. Where do you ride, I think the trick is to find a recommended
instructor in your area and go with them.

Old January 4th 05, 12:14 AM
Bob

"Heather" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello again

In order to educate myself a little more about how the
professionals teach as well as hopefully correct some of
my own lazy habits that I may have got into, I am considering
buying the "AASI Snowboard Manual" and the "AASI Snowboard
Movement Analysis Handbook" from their site.

The "Vail snowboard teaching handbook" has very good breakdowns of problems
and exercises to solve them. As an instructor, I am very impressed by it.

Bob

Old January 4th 05, 04:05 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Heather wrote:
In order to educate myself a little more about how the
professionals teach as well as hopefully correct some of
my own lazy habits that I may have got into, I am considering
buying the "AASI Snowboard Manual" and the "AASI Snowboard
Movement Analysis Handbook" from their site.

[snip]
Heather, if you need advise on coaching I suggest you get into touch
with Eric Brammer, AKA PSR (pre-school rider). He's the man when it
comes to instruction. He hangs around the forums of www.freecarve.com
and is a very helpful guy. He's butted heads with AASI so he'll give
you his honest opinion of his manuals. I think he teaches at Stratton,
or at least he used to. If not there, then somewhere along the Ice
Coast. He'll give you a lot of advice for free (just searching for his
old posts on freecarve can teach you a lot) but it may be worth your
while to book some time with him if you live anywhere near there.

Neil

Old January 11th 05, 01:18 PM
Heather

Neil Gendzwill wrote:
Heather wrote:
In order to educate myself a little more about how the
professionals teach as well as hopefully correct some of
my own lazy habits that I may have got into, I am considering
buying the "AASI Snowboard Manual" and the "AASI Snowboard
Movement Analysis Handbook" from their site.

[snip]
Heather, if you need advise on coaching I suggest you get into touch
with Eric Brammer, AKA PSR (pre-school rider). He's the man when it
comes to instruction. He hangs around the forums of

www.freecarve.com
and is a very helpful guy.

Thank you very much, Neil. I have visited this site just now.
The discussion boards are rather strange though. It seems
like one huge thread all mixed up. I'll have a look more.

He's butted heads with AASI so he'll give
you his honest opinion of his manuals. I think he teaches at

Stratton,
or at least he used to. If not there, then somewhere along the Ice
Coast.

I used to snowboard in France and haven't snowboarded in
USA yet. But my job has taken me to Asia so maybe I shall
go to N.America now since it is an equal distance away.
Thanks for the help,

Heather

Old January 11th 05, 01:25 PM
Heather

Thanks, Lonerider and Bob.

Sorry for the late reply because I have been distracted by the Tsunami
Disaster recently.

I really appreciate the help.

Heather

Old January 11th 05, 03:06 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Heather wrote:
Heather, if you need advise on coaching I suggest you get into touch
with Eric Brammer, AKA PSR (pre-school rider). He's the man when it
comes to instruction. He hangs around the forums of

www.freecarve.com

and is a very helpful guy.

Thank you very much, Neil. I have visited this site just now.
The discussion boards are rather strange though. It seems
like one huge thread all mixed up. I'll have a look more.

The search feature works well on that site. If you search for AASI
you'll find some comments I'm sure. Or just ask a question, like I said
he's very helpful.

Neil