Norway or Chile?

Old July 17th 17, 01:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique[_2_]

Default Norway or Chile?

So I'm thinking of an extended trip to one or the other. I've heard good things about Portillo, but I've always had a dream of spending time in Norway. Thoughts either way?

JP
Old July 17th 17, 06:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 07/16/2017 06:54 PM, Jay Pique wrote:
So I'm thinking of an extended trip to one or the other. I've heard
good things about Portillo, but I've always had a dream of spending
time in Norway. Thoughts either way?

Why not both? It's not like there's a skiing conflict.

--
Cheers, Bev
This is Usenet. We *are* the trained body for dealing

Old July 17th 17, 09:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki[_3_]

On 17/07/2017 03:54, Jay Pique wrote:
So I'm thinking of an extended trip to one or the other. I've heard good things about Portillo, but I've always had a dream of spending time in Norway. Thoughts either way?

Check out the habitat of the Norwegian Blue...

Old July 17th 17, 12:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ted Waldron[_2_]

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 6:54:28 PM UTC-7, Jay Pique wrote:
So I'm thinking of an extended trip to one or the other. I've heard good things about Portillo, but I've always had a dream of spending time in Norway. Thoughts either way?

JP

I would look at a trip to Portillo Las Leñas, San Martin de Los Andes in Argentina, Valle Nevado/La Parva and Termas De Chillan, perhaps even a trip to Antillanca, south of Temuco..

Ideally, go up the Paso de Libertadores, (The main highway pass between Chile and Argentina) where is Portillo is located, spend a couple days, then head to Mendoza, Argentina and Las Leñas, Go to San Martin De Los Andes, Bariloche or even down to El Bolsón.. Cross the border to Chile and head back north to Antillanca, Pucón/Villarica, Termas de Chillan, Valle Nevado/La Parva area before flying out from Santiago de Chile.

If I had to choose between Portillo and Valle Nevado, I would pick Valle Nevado. Portillo is a bit isolated, right next to the main highway between Chile and Argentina, while Valle Nevado is closer to other ski areas in the Santiago area. However, I would choose a trip of Portillo plus Las Leñas.
Old July 17th 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 7:54:28 PM UTC-6, Jay Pique wrote:
So I'm thinking of an extended trip to one or the other. I've heard good things about Portillo, but I've always had a dream of spending time in Norway. Thoughts either way?

JP

I'm going to the Canary Islands in a couple of weeks. Angkor Was in Jan. I'll let you know how those are. You might want to rethink? :-)

Canaries are going to be a good trip. Some golfing in NL. A week on the beach, fishing, snorkeling, golf, drinking....... . Then off to London to see Miranda Lambert at the Apollo. Busy but sounds like lots of fun!
Old July 17th 17, 07:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 7/17/2017 2:16 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 07/16/2017 06:54 PM, Jay Pique wrote:
So I'm thinking of an extended trip to one or the other. I've heard
good things about Portillo, but I've always had a dream of spending
time in Norway. Thoughts either way?

Why not both? It's not like there's a skiing conflict.

I was in Norway in May and stopped in Geilo, one of the larger Norwegian
resorts, for lunch. If it were an eight of so hour drive from here I'd
go for sure, but it looked a bit on the small side to justify flying
across the ocean.

After I got back I was talking to a friend about it and he had actually
skied in Geilo. He said it was a lot like Michigan skiing - not very
steep, not very long, not very crowded.

We drove past a couple of other ski areas on the way that were even
smaller. Fine for a day trip if you're already there.

There's also year-round skiing on a glacier near Bergen - a bus leaves
in the morning to take you up there and gear is included. The thought
of rental boots and a T-bar (only one lift) persuaded me to hang by the
fjord.

--
//Walt

It's warm and sunny in Chile Champ European Ski Resorts 2 January 13th 10 01:42 PM
Skiing Chile - where to stay? Vitaly Shmatikov Alpine Skiing 5 April 23rd 04 04:49 PM
Chile/Argentina Magnum626 Snowboarding 2 February 21st 04 11:46 AM
boot fitting in Chile Marcus Backcountry Skiing 0 October 1st 03 07:35 PM
chile next year... lizbubb Snowboarding 0 July 2nd 03 05:35 PM