Anyone skied the 'laub' at Engelberg?

Old March 16th 04, 09:12 AM
Ace

Default Anyone skied the 'laub' at Engelberg?

We're probably heading that way at the weekend, and I'd like to know
if the laub run is easy enough to route-find to do without a guide, or
if it's off-piste across the glacier (which I wouldn't do without a
guide)?

Anyone done it and care to comment?

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 16th 04, 11:44 PM
Johannes

Hi

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:12:36 +0100, Ace wrote:

We're probably heading that way at the weekend, and I'd like to know
if the laub run is easy enough to route-find to do without a guide, or

"The Laub" is a avalanche hang so you should checkout the Freeride
checkpoint"

if it's off-piste across the glacier (which I wouldn't do without a
guide)?

You see this hang when you go up to the Lake from Engelberg (with
6fold Gondola). After the middlestation(Gerschnialp) left hand.

Anyone done it and care to comment?

I didn't make it. I only know where it is. But i hear it's steeper
than the black from the Titlis.

http://www.titlis.ch/index.taf?id=001tit_0103&lang=en
klick at Engelberg/Trübsee
Its the hang above the draglifts.

I hope you are fit :-)
You make ~1100m from the top down to Gerschnialp.

Johannes
Old March 17th 04, 08:12 AM
Ace

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:44:02 +0100, Johannes
wrote:

Hi

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:12:36 +0100, Ace wrote:

We're probably heading that way at the weekend, and I'd like to know
if the laub run is easy enough to route-find to do without a guide, or

"The Laub" is a avalanche hang so you should checkout the Freeride
checkpoint"

Ta. Will do.

if it's off-piste across the glacier (which I wouldn't do without a
guide)?

You see this hang when you go up to the Lake from Engelberg (with
6fold Gondola). After the middlestation(Gerschnialp) left hand.

Anyone done it and care to comment?

I didn't make it. I only know where it is. But i hear it's steeper
than the black from the Titlis.

http://www.titlis.ch/index.taf?id=001tit_0103&lang=en
klick at Engelberg/Trübsee
Its the hang above the draglifts.

Thanks - I'd already worked out roughly where it was on the map, and
read a couple of reports about it, but it's not clear how obvious the
entry point and the rest of the run is and whether it's too easy to
take a wrong turn and end up in trouble.

I hope you are fit :-)

After 40 days skiing so far this season, I certainly hope so, yes.

You make ~1100m from the top down to Gerschnialp.

Sounds great :-) roll on the weekend.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 17th 04, 09:39 AM
Johannes

HI

wrote:

[...]

I don't know exatly where the entrence is. The start Point is the
Laubergrad Chairlift. From the top you have to cross the Chairlift and
follow the Skiway. This way ends on the top of a Red run. somewhere on
the other side oft this run is the entrence.

You make ~1100m from the top down to Gerschnialp.

Sounds great :-) roll on the weekend.

Rather today
But to much work at the comapnie, no change to get a day free

Johannes
Old February 6th 05, 05:41 PM
Johannes

Hi Ace
I made the Laub yesterday

wrote:

Hi
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:12:36 +0100, Ace wrote:
We're probably heading that way at the weekend, and I'd like to know
if the laub run is easy enough to route-find to do without a guide, or

If you stay at the top go right and you can ski strait down. But you
can also left(more difficult?) or further right(not to far, the Forest
is a wildlife protection aera)
I started also there but after ~1/3, I go more left along the smal
couloir and through the bushs direction T-Bar lift.
Ther was a lot of trails, so i did it only one time.

"The Laub" is a avalanche hang so you should checkout the Freeride
checkpoint"

It was level 2 yersterday.

Ta. Will do.
if it's off-piste across the glacier (which I wouldn't do without a
guide)?

You see this hang when you go up to the Lake from Engelberg (with
6fold Gondola). After the middlestation(Gerschnialp) left hand.
Anyone done it and care to comment?

I didn't make it. I only know where it is. But i hear it's steeper
than the black from the Titlis.

No it's not steeper as the black. About the same steepness.

http://www.titlis.ch/index.taf?id=001tit_0103&lang=en
klick at Engelberg/Trübsee
Its the hang above the draglifts.

Thanks - I'd already worked out roughly where it was on the map, and
read a couple of reports about it, but it's not clear how obvious the
entry point and the rest of the run is and whether it's too easy to
take a wrong turn and end up in trouble.

I hope you are fit :-)

After 40 days skiing so far this season, I certainly hope so, yes.

You make ~1100m from the top down to Gerschnialp.

Sounds great :-) roll on the weekend.

yep. Hopefully with new snow. :-)

Johannes
Old February 7th 05, 07:54 AM
Ace

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:41:55 +0100, Johannes
wrote:

Hi Ace
I made the Laub yesterday

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:12:36 +0100, Ace wrote:

^^^^
Crikey, don't you have a delete-after function in your newsreader?

We're probably heading that way at the weekend, and I'd like to know
if the laub run is easy enough to route-find to do without a guide, or

If you stay at the top go right and you can ski strait down. But you
can also left(more difficult?) or further right(not to far, the Forest
is a wildlife protection aera)
I started also there but after ~1/3, I go more left along the smal
couloir and through the bushs direction T-Bar lift.
Ther was a lot of trails, so i did it only one time.

Sounds good. Was the snow still good? I imagine it had some more
during the week, as it snowed a bit here and I know the Bern area got
a lot on Tuesday/Wednesday.

"The Laub" is a avalanche hang so you should checkout the Freeride
checkpoint"

It was level 2 yersterday.

Ta. Will do.
if it's off-piste across the glacier (which I wouldn't do without a
guide)?
You see this hang when you go up to the Lake from Engelberg (with
6fold Gondola). After the middlestation(Gerschnialp) left hand.
Anyone done it and care to comment?

I didn't make it. I only know where it is. But i hear it's steeper
than the black from the Titlis.

No it's not steeper as the black. About the same steepness.

Sounds great :-) roll on the weekend.

yep. Hopefully with new snow. :-)

Not done Engelburg yet this season, and unlikely to do so now, as my
schedule's getting quite full. Didn't ski this weekend, due to
sprained ankle[1] and am off to Meiringen with some friends next
weekend. Then it's three weeks repping in Val Thorens, then leading an
easter weekend holiday to Flaine. Busy busy busy. Maybe after that
I'll think about the Laub once again :-}

[1] OK, so now I've worked out why touring boots aren't recommended
for use with normal alpine bindings, OK?

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 7th 05, 12:49 PM
TimP

Ace wrote:

Not done Engelburg yet this season, and unlikely to do so now, as my
schedule's getting quite full. Didn't ski this weekend, due to
sprained ankle[1] and am off to Meiringen with some friends next
weekend. Then it's three weeks repping in Val Thorens, then leading

an
easter weekend holiday to Flaine. Busy busy busy. Maybe after that
I'll think about the Laub once again :-}

How do you rate Engelburg? I'm considering going back there as it's
where I learnt to ski, but all my memories are from an 8-year-old's
perspective so probably not that reliable. I do remember the black run
being fairly terrifying though, and much harder than blacks in other
resorts I did shortly after.

TimP

Old February 7th 05, 12:52 PM
Ace

On 7 Feb 2005 04:49:26 -0800, "TimP" wrote:

Ace wrote:

Not done Engelburg yet this season, and unlikely to do so now, as my
schedule's getting quite full. Didn't ski this weekend, due to
sprained ankle[1] and am off to Meiringen with some friends next
weekend. Then it's three weeks repping in Val Thorens, then leading

an
easter weekend holiday to Flaine. Busy busy busy. Maybe after that
I'll think about the Laub once again :-}

How do you rate Engelburg?

It's not bad (Oh, and it's spelt Engelberg, BTW - mea culpa). Can be a
bit limited, depending on the conditions, and has several not-too-well
connetced areas, which makes it awkward if you're in a mixed group.

I'm considering going back there as it's
where I learnt to ski, but all my memories are from an 8-year-old's
perspective so probably not that reliable. I do remember the black run
being fairly terrifying though, and much harder than blacks in other
resorts I did shortly after.

I'd say that the glacier reds are certainly among the hardest of that
grade that I know, but the blacks are not particularly difficult
compared with other places.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 7th 05, 04:11 PM
Johannes

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 08:54:29 +0100, Ace wrote:

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:41:55 +0100, Johannes
wrote:

Hi Ace
I made the Laub yesterday

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:12:36 +0100, Ace wrote:

^^^^
Crikey, don't you have a delete-after function in your newsreader?

lol

We're probably heading that way at the weekend, and I'd like to know
if the laub run is easy enough to route-find to do without a guide, or

If you stay at the top go right and you can ski strait down. But you
can also left(more difficult?) or further right(not to far, the Forest
is a wildlife protection aera)
I started also there but after ~1/3, I go more left along the smal
couloir and through the bushs direction T-Bar lift.
Ther was a lot of trails, so i did it only one time.

Sounds good. Was the snow still good? I imagine it had some more
during the week, as it snowed a bit here and I know the Bern area got
a lot on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Still good, the hang got north-west exposition.

Not done Engelburg yet this season, and unlikely to do so now, as my
schedule's getting quite full. Didn't ski this weekend, due to
sprained ankle[1] and am off to Meiringen with some friends next

If you like traffic jam. :-) Half Europe got hollidays.

Btw it depend how cold and how offten it's snowing. Perhaps you can
made the laub till end of march.

Johannes
Old February 7th 05, 04:33 PM
Ace

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:11:08 +0100, Johannes
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 08:54:29 +0100, Ace wrote:

Not done Engelberg yet this season, and unlikely to do so now, as my
schedule's getting quite full. Didn't ski this weekend, due to
sprained ankle[1] and am off to Meiringen with some friends next

If you like traffic jam. :-) Half Europe got hollidays.

Yeah, I know. We'll probably drive down on Friday evening - it's only
just over an hour away, so even with delays it won't be too bad. And
lift queues? Well, maybe, but hopefully the Moday should be better
(it's a bsel holiday for Fasnacht).

Btw it depend how cold and how offten it's snowing. Perhaps you can
made the laub till end of march.

Yeah, except I'm busy until then, so it'll be April before I get
another chance...

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)