Cross Country Skiing in october/november

Old July 27th 09, 09:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
vibrationsbog1

Default Cross Country Skiing in october/november

Hi

I'm thinking of going to canada from the first of october to mid
novemeber - are there any places where you can do cross country
skiing? I need a real trail as I am using skate technique.

Thanks, Jakob
Old July 27th 09, 01:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 02:45:15 -0700 (PDT), vibrationsbog1
wrote:

Hi

I'm thinking of going to canada from the first of october to mid
novemeber - are there any places where you can do cross country
skiing? I need a real trail as I am using skate technique.

Canada's a big place, but generally speaking (I'm in the US) to be
skiing by Thanksgiving (November 26th) depends on what kind of season
we get. If it's early then yes, if normal maybe, if a light/late snow
year probably not.

If you narrow it down to a province or two maybe someone from there
will reply. The place I've skied the most in Canada does have cross
country skiing: http://www.whistler.com/cross_country/ Of course, you
still need snow.

Also, this group is pretty dead these days, a lot of people have moved
over to http://www.telemarktips.com, you might try asking there.

hth;

DCraig.
Old July 27th 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Mike

I live in the Okanagan Valley British Columbia and the local resort Silver
Star, generally makes mid to end November their target opening day.
Sovereign Lakes is the dedicated x-country ski facility there and with an
early start to winter, it will be very good. Silver Star Resort also has
Nordic trails and several years ago they merged that part or the operation
with Sovereign Lakes, providing one of the largest Nordic facilities in
Canada. It is known for reliable early season conditions, but didn't happen
'til mid December last year. A number of national Nordic teams make
Sovereign Lake their early season training facility.

Sun Peaks resort is a little farther north outside of Kamloops and they have
snow making so they may open earlier, but off the top of my head, I don't
know if the snow making applies to the Nordic trails. Kamloops is about a 1
hour drive from Silver Star/Sovereign Lake, so that would minimize the risk
provided they make snow on their x-country trails.

http://www.sovereignlake.com/

http://www.skisilverstar.com/

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/winter/nordic.aspx

--
Mike

Old August 1st 09, 02:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Chuck Stearns[_2_]

I would check out Whistler/Blackcomb. With the Olympics there in February,
2010, they will likely make snow and have stuff happening. Probably
expensive lodging then as Olympics preparations make scarce housing worse?