Skiing near Stavanger?????

Old October 25th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
invicta

Default Skiing near Stavanger?????

I will be moving to Stavanger (From England) to live for two years in
December and I was wondering if anyone can tell me where the nearest x-
country skiing can be found ( day or night). I was quite quick skier
at one time but I haven't skied for 10 years ( not enough snow in the
UK!) I still have my Volkl skis though!

Many thanks in advance.

Old October 26th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On 25 Okt, 23:52, invicta wrote:
I will be moving to Stavanger

Welcome to my world! :-)

1.Closest skiing place is Brekko and if our new snow canon works out
it will produce this winter. 40minutes drive from Stavanger.
Not allways snow there. Yesterdays big news regarding Brekko and snow
canon:
http://web3.aftenbladet.no/lokalt/article534964.ece
Funny picture on a crowded day:
http://www.turrennklubben.no/images/..._parkering.jpg

2.Other than that you go to Sirdal, Sinnes. 90minutes drive. Allways
good xc tracks there all winter. Some alpine resorts too.
Check out main ski-site for Sirdal (in English):
http://www.sirdalsferie.com/index.jsp?a=14581&exp=9153

3.Join the biggest recreational ski club in south west Norway:
http://www.turrennklubben.no/images/...lubben2006.jpg
Most members from Stavanger and Sandnes.

Old October 26th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On 25 Okt, 23:52, invicta wrote:
I will be moving to Stavanger (From England)

I guess you will be working here at "oil-capital Forus". And in
company BP or ExxonMobile. Or maybe you're heading for a two year term
at the NATO HQ here :-)

Old October 26th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Oct 26, 3:00 pm, wrote:

1.Closest skiing place is Brekko and if our new snow canon works out
it will produce this winter. 40minutes drive from Stavanger.
Not allways snow there. Yesterdays big news regarding Brekko and snow
canon:http://web3.aftenbladet.no/lokalt/article534964.ece
Funny picture on a crowded day:http://www.turrennklubben.no/images/..._parkering.jpg

I nearly got mowed down at a turrenn last year when some of the front-
runners were already starting to drive home and I guess didn't realize
there were folks like me still out there. This was in Sandnes i
Vestfold. The parking lot looked just like that picture!

Are you in Stavanger?

There are probably places even closer than 40min, though perhaps not
as good, but fine for a quick evening ski. I'm not familiar with the
Stavanger area, but I live in a similar (I think) costal climate area
(Tjøme) that doesn't get good snow, but 5km inland is a whole
different story.

Joseph

Old October 26th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
invicta

On 26 Oct, 20:36, "
wrote:
On Oct 26, 3:00 pm, wrote:

[...]

Many thanks. Im looking for some lit tracks an easy (evening drive )
from Stavanger. Something where i can skii regularly to get myself fit
again. Im looking forward to going upto Sirdal at weekends. Ill be
ins Stavanger on Sunday to tuesday(27-29th) for the Interview and a
look arround.. Fingers crossed, I'll be in Stavanger from December.

Old October 26th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Oct 26, 9:42 pm, invicta wrote:
On 26 Oct, 20:36, "

wrote:
On Oct 26, 3:00 pm, wrote:

[...]

Pop into a sports store and ask where the nearest trails are.
Virtually everywhere in Norway has some lit trails closeby. Some
obviously better than others, but good enough!

I won't pretend to offer any interview advice, but I've always found
it useful to mention some of my hobbies. Some of the folks at the job
probably ski and could offer some tips. It might be a nice ice-breaker
and a way to get to know them better.

Good luck!

Joseph

Old October 28th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Are you in Stavanger?
I have lived in Sandnes all my life. This Sandnes is the biggest in
Norway is located next to Stavanger city where "invicta" is going.
There are other Sandnes in Norway.

There are probably places even closer than 40min, though perhaps not
as good, but fine for a quick evening ski.

No, if you want gromed xc tracks you have to go 40min to Brekko.
It's very random when and how many inches with snow Stavanger gets
each year. Usually when the snow comes it's enough for the kids to ski
in open fields for a few days. Brekko is at 300-400meter altitude in
mountain areas. And with new snow-canon comes it will get nicer.

Welcome to skiing in south west Norway!
The biggest skimarathon here is called Sesilåmi. Google it :-)

Old October 28th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Pop into a sports store and ask where the nearest trails are.
Virtually everywhere in Norway has some lit trails closeby. Some
obviously better than others, but good enough!

You could also ask the board members of the biggest ski club in the
region. They know everything about skiing places, good shops and
travel arrangements. Board members list:
http://www.turrennklubben.no/styret.htm
Hey... one of the guys on that list has a name just like mine :-)

Old November 5th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
invicta

On 28 Oct, 20:05, wrote:
Pop into a sports store and ask where the nearest trails are.
Virtually everywhere in Norway has some lit trails closeby. Some
obviously better than others, but good enough!

You could also ask the board members of the biggest ski club in the
region. They know everything about skiing places, good shops and
travel arrangements. Board members list:http://www.turrennklubben.no/styret.htm
Hey... one of the guys on that list has a name just like mine :-)

Well, I got the job. Im looking to be in Stavanger from Dec onwards.
Now looking for somewhere to live, possible Sandnes or Stavanger.

Old November 6th 07, 07:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

invicta wrote:
On 28 Oct, 20:05, wrote:
Pop into a sports store and ask where the nearest trails are.
Virtually everywhere in Norway has some lit trails closeby. Some
obviously better than others, but good enough!

You could also ask the board members of the biggest ski club in the
region. They know everything about skiing places, good shops and
travel arrangements. Board members list:http://www.turrennklubben.no/styret.htm
Hey... one of the guys on that list has a name just like mine :-)

Well, I got the job. Im looking to be in Stavanger from Dec onwards.
Now looking for somewhere to live, possible Sandnes or Stavanger.

Sola might be even better: At least they have fiber installed to more or
less all homes. :-)

(This is according to a colleague who works for StatoilHydro in Stavanger.)

Terje

--
-