Best Eastern Ski Resort

Old October 26th 03, 01:50 AM
houseslave

Default Best Eastern Ski Resort

Hi,

I'm planning a ski vacation and want a mountain that has great lifts and
challenging terrains. I'm considering Killington, Stowe and Killington. I
would appreciate advice on how these mountains rate. I also was considering
OKEMO but I was told that it is flat and boring. We're strong skiers and
can ski just about anything outwest. Thanks

Old October 26th 03, 02:43 AM
houseslave

I also meant to type Sugarbush and not Killington twice.

Thanks

"Olaf Timandahaff" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 02:50:10 GMT, "houseslave"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning a ski vacation and want a mountain that has great lifts and
challenging terrains. I'm considering Killington, Stowe and Killington.

would appreciate advice on how these mountains rate. I also was

considering
OKEMO but I was told that it is flat and boring. We're strong skiers and
can ski just about anything outwest. Thanks

Of the TWO, I'd pick Killington.
I have heard Stowe's lifts aren't as fast or dependable.
I haven't been to Stowe. [Placid and Jay are closer]

Old October 26th 03, 11:44 AM
JSACKS

Need a Condo at Killington http://vtcondo.jsacks.com

Old October 26th 03, 04:22 PM
Dhillus

The only advantage of Killington is its hugeness, which means you won't get
tired of skiing the same trails if you're there for a week or nearly a week.
Otherwise Sugarbush is probably your best all-around bet because it's fairly
large and has challenging terrain. The views of Lake Champlain and two states
from the top are also great if that sort of thing matters to you. Plus, if you
do get bored, you're close to Mad River Glen, a place every Eastern skier
should ski at least once to experience the true anti-resort. However, Stowe is
a great town and a great mountain. The lifts are slow except for the Mt.
Mansfield quad and the gondola, which serves only a couple trails that you'd
probably find truly challenging. If you want other things to do after skiing,
Stowe is a good bet. IF you go there, stay in a place where you can board the
town's shuttle to the mountain or at least have a short walk to a shuttle stop.
Keep in mind that from Stowe you can also drive a relatively short distance and
ski at Sugarbush and MRG, and even Jay Peak (the drive to Killington probably
wouldn't be worth it.)
Above all, leave those fat powder skis at home, and sharpen your edges.

Old October 27th 03, 12:06 AM
Wai Chan

"houseslave" wrote in
. net:

I also meant to type Sugarbush and not Killington twice.

We skied a part of Sugarbush late last season was pretty impressed. Nice
high speed quad.

Have never skiied Killington partially because of its reputation (based on
other's opinions and personal experience) of being snotty and high lift
costs.

Have never skiied Stowe either. Also heard that skiers have similar
attitude as those at Killington. The village has Stowe is really nice tho.

Have never skiied Jay but have heard good things about it, esply the glades
and the deep snow.

Two other places that I have been and find worth considering are Smugglers'
Notch and Gore. Either one is huge like Killington but they are fun,
friendly and relatively economical.

Smugglers' are known for its family programs but it's also reputed for its
challenging terrains for all ages. They are adding a whole bunch of glade
trails to its biggest mountain this year just to make it more interesting.
It's also known for its slower lifts, which is their way of traffic
control. Can't beat their slope-side well furnished condos.

Gore is the little brother of Whiteface and has a variety of terrains if
you ski the back mountains. It has a nice Gondola and a bunch of high spped
lifts.

W R Chan from Upstate NY
(to respond, remove ### from email address)

* I have no stinking sig *
Old October 27th 03, 02:33 AM
houseslave

I went to Smugglers one year and loved the mountain. unfortunatley (this is
about 12 years ago) they didn't have cushioned seats on the lifts. Sitting
on metal is not something you want to do in Vermont. I checked them out too
but they still seem to have the same crummy lift system. I would rather pay
more and not freeze on the way up. And if the wife gets too cold the day is
over...

Old October 27th 03, 03:00 AM
JQ

"houseslave" wrote in message
. net...
Hi,

I'm planning a ski vacation and want a mountain that has great lifts and
challenging terrains. I'm considering Killington, Stowe and Killington.

would appreciate advice on how these mountains rate. I also was

considering
OKEMO but I was told that it is flat and boring. We're strong skiers and
can ski just about anything outwest. Thanks

Hi,
If you are not looking for night life then go further north for better snow
conditions. If you stay in Gorham, NH you will be within 30 minutes of
Sunday River main as big as Killington and has some very challenging
terrain, steeps, woods, moguls great groom runs, terrain parks, 22' x 500'
half pipe a great place to ski or board, boarders here aren't as rude as in
other places and has less crowds shorter lift lines. You also have Mt.
Abraham which is more an beginner - intermediate ski area which is also
about 30 minutes away. In NH you have Wild Cat about 15 minutes away nice
steeps and steep & narrow trails, moguls and groomers not really for
beginners that have fear of steep runs. Attitash Bear is about 10 - 15
minutes further away, has many steep runs, good groomed runs, moguls and
like Wild Cat not really for the beginner. About another 10-15 minutes
south is Bretton Woods, I have not skied there only drove by it. Looks much
better for beginners, not as steep as the two previous ski areas. It's
worth the trip if the snow is right...

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old October 27th 03, 01:17 PM
Walt

JQ wrote:

About another 10-15 minutes
south is Bretton Woods, I have not skied there only drove by it. Looks much
better for beginners, not as steep as the two previous ski areas.

I've skied it, and you've pretty much got it right. Lot's of easy
groomed cruisers with a little bit of moderate steep on the very top.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 27th 03, 02:13 PM
Richard Walsh

Wai Chan wrote in
:

"houseslave" wrote in
.net:

I also meant to type Sugarbush and not Killington twice.

We skied a part of Sugarbush late last season was pretty impressed. Nice
high speed quad.

If you only skied the high speed quad, you may have missed the
best that the 'bush has to offer. If you only skied Sugarbush,
you completely missed the best the valley has to offer.

Have never skiied Killington partially because of its reputation (based
on other's opinions and personal experience) of being snotty and high
lift costs.

You liked Sugarbush and think that Killington is "snotty"? As for
cost, check out the other area lift access costs. Give me a few
days notice and I'll make sure you have a great day at Killington.
No "snotty-ness" either.

Have never skiied Stowe either. Also heard that skiers have similar
attitude as those at Killington. The village has Stowe is really nice
tho.

I particularly resent the "snotty" remark here, both for Killington
and Stowe. I would like to point out that the feeling an area
imparts is often a result of the people who frequent it. Stowe has
the village and the Mountain Road as well as one hell of a great
mountain. Killington has more varied terrain and is bigger than
anything else in the East. It also has the best nightlife in the East.
I didn't say so, I believe it was "Skiing" magazine.

Have never skiied Jay but have heard good things about it, esply the
glades and the deep snow.

Yes, Jay has both of these. It also helps to speak French, though
not necessary.

Two other places that I have been and find worth considering are
Smugglers' Notch and Gore. Either one is huge like Killington but they
are fun, friendly and relatively economical.

I assume you meant "Neither one is huge..."

Smugglers' are known for its family programs but it's also reputed for
its challenging terrains for all ages. They are adding a whole bunch of
glade trails to its biggest mountain this year just to make it more
interesting. It's also known for its slower lifts, which is their way of
traffic control. Can't beat their slope-side well furnished condos.

Gore is the little brother of Whiteface and has a variety of terrains if
you ski the back mountains. It has a nice Gondola and a bunch of high
spped lifts.

Gore is the "little brother of Whiteface"? There is a bit of a distance
here, how do you figure a sibling relationship?

W R Chan from Upstate NY
(to respond, remove ### from email address)

* I have no stinking sig *

Good for you.

RW

Old October 27th 03, 03:07 PM
Dave Stallard

Dhillus wrote:

The only advantage of Killington is its hugeness, which means you won't get
tired of skiing the same trails if you're there for a week or nearly a week.
Otherwise Sugarbush is probably your best all-around bet because it's fairly
large and has challenging terrain. The views of Lake Champlain and two states
from the top are also great if that sort of thing matters to you. Plus, if you
do get bored, you're close to Mad River Glen, a place every Eastern skier
should ski at least once to experience the true anti-resort. However, Stowe is
a great town and a great mountain. The lifts are slow except for the Mt.
Mansfield quad and the gondola, which serves only a couple trails that you'd
probably find truly challenging.

The quad and the gondola access the main mountain in its entirety. From
the quad you can access the Front Four, which offer as much challenge as
most people can bear. You can also access a lot of blue terrain (Lord,
Standard, etc) from it. The only problem with these latter trails is
that it's very easy to wind up at the bottom on ground that is lower and
some what far away from the base of the quad, leaving you the choice of
either taking the slow Lookout Double, or slogging your way up to the
quad.

From the gondola, you access mainly blue terrain, but these trails are
quite long. Gondolier in particular is a great fast cruiser. The
gondola gives you around 2,200 feet of vertical, I think, which is a lot
of rise for one lift.

There's also another part of the area, Spruce Peak, which does have a
lot of slow lifts, and is a shuttle ride away. It's mainly green and
low-angle blue terrain, with some trees to give it a natural style. I
haven't skiied it much.

Dave