Need some advanced Excel help

Old June 6th 11, 06:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Need some advanced Excel help

On Jun 6, 6:36*am, down_hill wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

We all use GPS coordinates.

When you need a lot of points on the ground to be able to
do a contour map GPS is:

1) way more accurate than you need since all
data is local and

2) way too slow, you'll be there several days
at 1/2 hour per point.

We have issues at times using gps to build track maps and monitor
vehicle position and collect dynamic data. At 170mph the gps scans at
5hz and that means that about 50 feet pass between each reading. A lot
of stuff can happen in fifty feet. We get more accurate maps with a
lateral accelerometer and a wheel speed indicator

GPS sends the time-synchronization modulation once per second.
Old June 6th 11, 06:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Richard Henry wrote:
On Jun 6, 6:36 am, wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

We all use GPS coordinates.

When you need a lot of points on the ground to be able to
do a contour map GPS is:

1) way more accurate than you need since all
data is local and

2) way too slow, you'll be there several days
at 1/2 hour per point.

We have issues at times using gps to build track maps and monitor
vehicle position and collect dynamic data. At 170mph the gps scans at
5hz and that means that about 50 feet pass between each reading. A lot
of stuff can happen in fifty feet. We get more accurate maps with a
lateral accelerometer and a wheel speed indicator

GPS sends the time-synchronization modulation once per second.

We get position 5 times a second there is one unit that claims to be
able to get 10hz. I know 5hz works because have viewed text file and
those fields were changed when I looked at sequential records. Always
have problems overlaying morning session maps with afternoon session
maps just slightly off.
Old June 6th 11, 07:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jun 6, 11:31*am, down_hill wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
On Jun 6, 6:36 am, *wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

[...]

What model receiver?
Old June 6th 11, 08:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Richard Henry wrote:
On Jun 6, 6:36 am, *wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

[...]

It's probably not the receiver. They go drinking at lunch and that
makes the afternoon session maps look like doo-doo.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old June 6th 11, 08:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

http://www.competitiondata.com/sensors/pg11_gps.htm
Old June 6th 11, 10:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 15:32:06 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

On Jun 6, 1:04*pm, downhill wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
On Jun 6, 11:31 am, *wrote:

GPS sends the time-synchronization modulation once per second.

We get position 5 times a second there is one unit that claims to be
able to get 10hz. I know 5hz works because have viewed text file and
those fields were changed when I looked at sequential records. Always
have problems overlaying morning session maps with afternoon session
maps just slightly off.

What model receiver?

http://www.competitiondata.com/sensors/pg11_gps.htm

It's not clear from that documentation how they do it. I am
inherently suspicious of unusually-enhanced operations that cannot be
explained in one paragraph.

My most recent experience with GPS is interpolating time between the
1Hz carrier-reversal synchs to partition time for a TDMA-like rf
system, where vehicle/person speed was irrelevant and 1 Hz position
updates were adequate.

I did a search on GPS carrier-reversal synchs and came up with jack.
Don't be bull****ting those who are good at it.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old June 7th 11, 12:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Richard Henry wrote:
On Jun 6, 11:31 am, *wrote:

[...]

Once per second, the carrier waveform of the GPS signal does a 180-
degree phase reversal exactly at the time that the GPS satellite
believes from its internal electronics is the "zero" of each UTC
second. That event is easy to detect if one knows it is coming, and
comparing the zeros from several satellites allows the receiver to
determine its position. The receivers know the satellites position
accurately, to better precision than they are capable of calculating
for themselves, because each satellite transmits its position and
orbital dynamics as part of the low-data-rate message included in the
signals. Normally, it takes 30 seconds after synching with the 4th
satellite to get the first 3D fix, and it is a simple task to update
position each second from then on. Getting positions faster than 1 Hz
requires techniques beyond the basic GPS system design. Remember that
GPS was developed by the Navy so that ships could find harbors and
aircraft find airports, not to track racecars around a track.
Old June 7th 11, 01:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Richard Henry wrote:

http://www.competitiondata.com/sensors/pg11_gps.htm

It's not clear from that documentation how they do it. I am
inherently suspicious of unusually-enhanced operations that cannot be
explained in one paragraph.

My most recent experience with GPS is interpolating time between the
1Hz carrier-reversal synchs to partition time for a TDMA-like rf
system, where vehicle/person speed was irrelevant and 1 Hz position
updates were adequate.

This unit is used with all the major data acquisition hardware,there are
units with it built in like traqmate. But the real serious race data
acquisition hardware use wheel speed sensors 4 is the best and if you
run a traction control or abs type system 4 WS sensors is the only way.
But most of the cars do fine with 5hz scan rates it really only at
Daytona or Pocono when the run banking as part of a road circuit. Plus
if your not in road racing you will not get near the speeds where it
makes a difference.
Old June 7th 11, 01:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jun 6, 6:19*pm, down_hill wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

[...]

Wheels sensors or x-y-z accelerometers integrated into an inertial nav
system trued to GPS once per second makes more sense.
I have checked my hand-held GPS receiver against the property corners
of my lot. After a few minutes, it was within a few feet of the
correct lat and long, but about 40 feet off in elevation when not
wandering around to worse values.
Old June 7th 11, 02:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Richard Henry wrote:
On Jun 6, 6:19 pm, wrote:

Wheels sensors or x-y-z accelerometers integrated into an inertial nav
system trued to GPS once per second makes more sense.
I have checked my hand-held GPS receiver against the property corners
of my lot. After a few minutes, it was within a few feet of the
correct lat and long, but about 40 feet off in elevation when not
wandering around to worse values.

The hardware in the car is a logger that records the sensors at the
decided scan rate oil and water is done at 1hz, rpm, throttle, brake
pressure and steering plus accelerometers are done at 20hz we do not use
z if we are measuring ride height or pitch and roll laser sensors. There
is a little computing done with logger to put on warning lights low oil
pressure or +/- if you have loaded a datum lap. Otherwise it runs a
millisecond counter and logs entries to be downloaded and analyzed on
computer. The most important trace is rpm. The first trace I look at is
voltage if below 10 volts data gets questionable.
The gps signal is just logged for processing and the other item it does
is when you pass start finish or where you have told it start finish is
it generates a lap marker every time you cross start finish. Otherwise
you put out a beacon which triggers a lap marker when you pass it. The
gps unit takes place of the beacon receiver in the car so you can not
have both with most hardware.