Angeles Crest highway reopens today

Old June 3rd 11, 02:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Angeles Crest highway reopens today

http://sv08data.dot.ca.gov/memos/fil...t/060111_0.pdf

SR330 into Big Bear opened over Memorial Day weekend, but is back to
commuter hours only, with final construction predicted by July 4.

SR 38 has a short length of alternating 1-way traffic as new
guardrails are being installed.
Old June 3rd 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jun 3, 7:47*am, Richard Henry wrote:
http://sv08data.dot.ca.gov/memos/fil...t/060111_0.pdf

Pictures:

http://www.latimes.com/la-me-angeles...4380.htmlstory
Old June 4th 11, 02:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Newspapers and online reports say it is open.

Here is today's DOT road condition report:

SR 2
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM 2 MI EAST OF THE EAST JCT OF I 210 TO 8 MI EAST OF
LA CANADA (LOS ANGELES CO) - DUE TO STORM DAMAGE REPAIR - MOTORISTS
ARE
ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

IS CLOSED FROM ISLIP SADDLE TO 5 MI WEST OF BIG PINES (LOS ANGELES CO)
- FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

I'm going up today to see.
Old June 5th 11, 12:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jun 4, 7:31*am, Richard Henry wrote:
Newspapers and online reports say it is open.

Here is today's DOT road condition report:

SR 2
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM 2 MI EAST OF THE EAST JCT OF I 210 TO 8 MI EAST OF
LA CANADA (LOS ANGELES CO) - DUE TO STORM DAMAGE REPAIR - MOTORISTS
ARE
ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

IS CLOSED FROM ISLIP SADDLE TO 5 MI WEST OF BIG PINES (LOS ANGELES CO)
- FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

I'm going up today to see.

Open (although some places have alternating 1-way traffic).
Old June 7th 11, 12:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jun 6, 3:14*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
On 06/05/11 19:14, Richard Henry wrote:

On Jun 5, 12:10 pm, The Real *wrote:
*On 06/04/11 17:44, Richard Henry wrote:
* *On Jun 4, 7:31 am, Richard * *wrote:
* * *Newspapers and online reports say it is open.

* * *Here is today's DOT road condition report:

* * *SR 2
* * *[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
* * *IS CLOSED FROM 2 MI EAST OF THE EAST JCT OF I 210 TO 8 MI EAST OF
* * *LA CANADA (LOS ANGELES CO) - DUE TO STORM DAMAGE REPAIR - MOTORISTS
* * *ARE
* * *ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

* * *IS CLOSED FROM ISLIP SADDLE TO 5 MI WEST OF BIG PINES (LOS ANGELES CO)
* * *- FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

* * *I'm going up today to see.

* *Open (although some places have alternating 1-way traffic).

*Pictures of opening day hehttps://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8667.313431.11...

*Happy bikers (both kinds).

*Linked from the Mt. Waterman facebook page.

All I saw of Mt. Waterman was a sign and a couple of wide spots on the
road.

The wide spot is the parking lot. *There's a tiny outhouse-size ticket
booth and the bottom of the lift across the street. *If you continued on
east the next wide spot is the parking lot for the former Kratka Ridge,
which requires a short walk up the hill to get to whatever facilities
are still there -- probably none. *I went to both places once, Kratka a
long time ago.

I'm sorry to say that facebook is actually useful sometimes.

--
Cheers, Bev
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kratka Ridge (under some other name) was easier to detect. When I got
to Mountain High. I was surprised at a sign for Mt. High North which I
had never heard of before. I researched it when I got home - a small
area formerly known as Sunrise that is now a beginner hill and tubing
park.

Old June 7th 11, 01:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 06/06/11 17:40, Richard Henry wrote:

On Jun 6, 3:14 pm, The Real wrote:
On 06/05/11 19:14, Richard Henry wrote:

All I saw of Mt. Waterman was a sign and a couple of wide spots on the
road.

The wide spot is the parking lot. There's a tiny outhouse-size ticket
booth and the bottom of the lift across the street. If you continued on
east the next wide spot is the parking lot for the former Kratka Ridge,
which requires a short walk up the hill to get to whatever facilities
are still there -- probably none. I went to both places once, Kratka a
long time ago.

I'm sorry to say that facebook is actually useful sometimes.

Kratka Ridge (under some other name) was easier to detect.

Snowcrest. When I was there it had one lift. When you got to the
bottom the guy started up the engine, which he ran until you got to the top.

When I got
to Mountain High. I was surprised at a sign for Mt. High North which I
had never heard of before. I researched it when I got home - a small
area formerly known as Sunrise that is now a beginner hill and tubing
park.

I went there once too. Really cheap and small. Several years ago there
was a story about a woman and her 7-year-old daughter skiing there. The
woman got to the bottom of the hill (the parking lot is the top of the
hill) and thought she was lost, so she sent the daughter to get help.
The woman must have been retarded, there's no way on earth to get lost
there. Follow the orange fence and arrive at the parking lot. OTOH, a
guy got lost at Mountain High a couple of years ago and died.

--
Cheers, Bev