Feds on the lookout for fake war heros.

Old June 2nd 11, 08:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default rope tows

On 6/2/11 12:42 PM, snoig wrote:
If you count a Poma as a rope tow, both Copper and Vail have them
around here.

If you're asking me, I'd only count a rope tow as a rope tow. You gotta
grab the rope yourself. And hold it up off the snow yourself. No
refinements.

Dodge Ridge stills has it 1950 era rope and pullys and support telephone
poles, all broken and laying on the ground, rotting hemp rope and all.
During the winter the remnents are buried under the snow so current
customers don't get to relieve yesteryear.

But I occasionally visit they archeological site; after all that
exact rope was what I used for my very first uphill tows when I learned
to ski circa 1952.
Old June 2nd 11, 09:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

lal_truckee wrote:
On 6/2/11 12:42 PM, snoig wrote:
If you count a Poma as a rope tow, both Copper and Vail have them
around here.

If you're asking me, I'd only count a rope tow as a rope tow. You gotta
grab the rope yourself. And hold it up off the snow yourself. No refinements.

Dodge Ridge stills has it 1950 era rope and pullys and support telephone
poles, all broken and laying on the ground, rotting hemp rope and all.
During the winter the remnents are buried under the snow so current
customers don't get to relieve yesteryear.

But I occasionally visit they archeological site; after all that exact
rope was what I used for my very first uphill tows when I learned to ski circa 1952.

I consider a true rope tow as a steel cable line hooked up to a diesel
engine, possibly out of a bus, or out of a farmer/rancher's old tractor.
The higher the revs, and more damage to the gloves, or a skin graft, the
better. Any Poma lift or ground level tow that is connected to the ski
area's main power station/generators doesn't count. The tow has to have
children strewn about from falling down throughout slope.

I am jealous of hemp rope tows. One can only get 1st or 2nd degree burns
from that, compare to the skin grafts of a steel cable. Besides, with the
friction from the hemp rope, one can smoke a bit of it, as a consolidation
prize, if one survives the ride in one piece.
Old June 2nd 11, 11:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 06/02/2011 03:42 PM, snoig wrote:
On Jun 2, 8:53 am, wrote:
On 6/1/11 10:23 PM, wrote:

Obski, however we still have old school stuff in skiing, like rope tows,
sandwich skis, the same waxes, and blue ice...

Good topic - where are there still rope tows in everyday use at
commercial resorts?

If you count a Poma as a rope tow, both Copper and Vail have them
around here.

Nah, a Poma (platter-pull) has its cable overhead
as opposed to lying on the ground. Also the tow
device is detachable for loading. No way to screw
up your gloves. Cajones maybe, but not gloves.
Old June 2nd 11, 11:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 06/02/2011 05:44 PM, wrote:
wrote:
On 6/2/11 12:42 PM, snoig wrote:
[...]

I've never seen a rope tow with steel cable. Otherwise a good
description.
Old June 3rd 11, 12:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

Default Feds on the lookout for fake war heros.

On Jun 1, 1:33*pm, Ted Waldron wrote:
In article
,
*Mr Scroat Spittle wrote:

http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2199266&spid=

" * Did the Medevac

chopper come quickly or did you have to wait awhile?

Two days. *But I wasn't hurt bad at all. *Tweezers and
stitches. *Enough for a purple heart if they gave them to
dumb**** kids in safari suits, but no biggie"

Google isn't someone's friend.

LOL! Maybe he'll tell us where the "two bullet holes" were.

Dave
Old June 3rd 11, 01:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Jun 2, 8:53 am, *wrote:
On 6/1/11 10:23 PM, wrote:

Obski, *however we still have old school stuff in skiing, like rope tows,
sandwich skis, the same waxes, and blue ice...

Good topic - where are there still rope tows in everyday use at
commercial resorts?

If you count a Poma as a rope tow, both Copper and Vail have them
around here.

Nah, a Poma (platter-pull) has its cable overhead
as opposed to lying on the ground. Also the tow
device is detachable for loading. No way to screw
up your gloves. Cajones maybe, but not gloves.

Nothing for you to worry about, then. Must be handy at time to have
no balls, eh?
Old June 3rd 11, 01:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

*Mr Scroat Spittle wrote:

http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2199266&spid=

" * Did the Medevac

chopper come quickly or did you have to wait awhile?

Two days. *But I wasn't hurt bad at all. *Tweezers and
stitches. *Enough for a purple heart if they gave them to
dumb**** kids in safari suits, but no biggie"

Google isn't someone's friend.

LOL! * Maybe he'll tell us where the "two bullet holes" were.

LOL! Maybe you can provide a post where I ever claimed to have
served, or ever claimed to have any decorations whatsoever?
Google is my friend. One liar repeats a pathetic lie, another liar
tries to distort a clear statement into a false claim, another liar
ignores his buddies getting busted in whopper after whopper.
Tell you what, ppppppuuuuuuuusssssssyyyyyy. I would have been
delighted to show you, in person, when you snuck through Seattle. But
you diapered up like the pathetic coward you are and pulled a Diaper
Bob.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
What a PPPPPPPUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSYYYYYYYY!!!!
Still waiting to hear from the FBI.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA
How humiliating for all of you.