SR330 to Big Bear repairs

Old May 5th 11, 03:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default SR330 to Big Bear repairs

I stumbled across this whil looking for something else:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist8/projects...pair/index.htm

Lots of pictures and a couple of videos linked in. Caltrans says the
road will be completely open by July 4.
Old May 7th 11, 02:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist8/projects...30/emrepair/in...

Lots of pictures and a couple of videos linked in. *Caltrans says the
road will be completely open by July 4.

On another note, a stretch of SR 39 opened last month, but still not
all the way to SR 2 on the Angeles Crest (a complete reopening would
make a more direct route to Mt. Waterman skiers, which I as far as I
can tell is just Bev). I remember driving the road all the way down
in the 70's soon after I moved to California (and getting a traffic
ticket as well), but it closed in 1978 after a hard winter and has
never been completely reopened.

Caltrans has this nice article about the troubles of that road.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/Publica...ory.php?id=283

Article on partial reopening:

http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_17761138
Old May 7th 11, 03:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On May 7, 7:10*am, Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

No one cares. No one wants to ski SoCal: tiny hills, crap snow, too
many snowboarders, and you might run into two of the most disgusting
psychopahs in this ********.
Rather than discussing skiing, let's discuss lying to the police.
Contact info? Do any SPD officers ski Mt. Waterman?
How humiliating for you. EMERGENCY SOCCER GAME!!!!!
Old May 7th 11, 08:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 05/07/11 07:10, Richard Henry wrote:

On May 5, 8:59 am, Richard wrote:
I stumbled across this whil looking for something else:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist8/projects...30/emrepair/in...

Lots of pictures and a couple of videos linked in. Caltrans says the
road will be completely open by July 4.

On another note, a stretch of SR 39 opened last month, but still not
all the way to SR 2 on the Angeles Crest (a complete reopening would
make a more direct route to Mt. Waterman skiers, which I as far as I
can tell is just Bev).

Angeles Crest is generally not plowed east of Islip Saddle, which is
roughly where 39 joins AC. Maybe they'd plow more if 39 were open all
the way. I didn't measure it, but I don't think there's a big
difference to Waterman. BIG difference to Mountain High, but who cares?
I don't even want to go there for FREE!

I remember driving the road all the way down
in the 70's soon after I moved to California (and getting a traffic
ticket as well), but it closed in 1978 after a hard winter and has
never been completely reopened.

People are bitching because the road was opened to Crystal Lake, but
there's no sign indicating the smaller road to the lake itself.
Figures. It's only a mile or so left to AC, which would really benefit
Mountain High. I'm surprised they haven't bribed somebody to finish the
job. OTOH, they're annoyingly crowded now, even during the week, so
adding more people would make the experience even worse than it is now.

Weekend trash in San Gabriel Canyon is a big problem. Junk, diapers,
garbage, general slobbery beyond the capacity of the forest service to
clean it up. If the Sierra Club really cared about The Environment
they'd volunteer every Monday to clean up the crap the slobs leave.

The Sierra Club is also whining about the off-road portion of the canyon
which is basically the riverbed when it's dry. Not really a lot of harm
you can do to a riverbed, so they crab about the noise. We took the
bikes up once, but the area is geared more to 4-wheeled vehicles -- and
was NOT a big mess like the areas frequented by the picnicking slobs.

Screw 'em all.

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
Old May 8th 11, 02:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On May 7, 7:10*am, Richard Henry wrote:

On another note, a stretch of SR 39 opened last month, but still not
all the way to SR 2 on the Angeles Crest (a complete reopening would
make a more direct route to Mt. Waterman skiers, which I as far as I
can tell is just Bev). *I remember driving the road all the way down
in the 70's soon after I moved to California (and getting a traffic
ticket as well), but it closed in 1978 after a hard winter and has
never been completely reopened.

Caltrans has this nice article about the troubles of that road.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/Publica...ory.php?id=283

Article on partial reopening:

http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_17761138

I couldn't help myself - I drove up to the new end of 39 this
morning. The gate is at milepost 38.5, but the road could be opened
to milepost 40, where there is another gate - the one I remember from
when I tried to go up that road in the late 80's (in a heavy fog, and
with dog-sized rocks in the road every couple of hundred yards).

It didn't look so far from the gate to SR2 on the map, so I gave it a
try on foot. After two hours (4 miles, more or less) I reached a
patch of snow by the side of the road, and still could see a lot of
road ahead of me, so I decided that was far enough. There are
construction machines and materials all along the stretch I hiked, and
the worst areas are being rebuilt, so it may be open again in a year
or two.

It was spooky walking along watching little rockslides coming down to
the road every few minutes. And there is one stretch across a cliff-
face looming a couple of hundred feet over the road, and a big leap
below.
Old May 8th 11, 06:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 05/07/11 19:33, Richard Henry wrote:

I couldn't help myself - I drove up to the new end of 39 this
morning. The gate is at milepost 38.5, but the road could be opened
to milepost 40, where there is another gate - the one I remember from
when I tried to go up that road in the late 80's (in a heavy fog, and
with dog-sized rocks in the road every couple of hundred yards).

Pretty foggy this morning, but maybe it thinned out quickly. I remember
driving up to JPL in the morning fog which generally disappeared right
at the foot of the lowest lab buildings -- looked like the goddam
Emerald City.

It didn't look so far from the gate to SR2 on the map, so I gave it a
try on foot. After two hours (4 miles, more or less) I reached a
patch of snow by the side of the road, and still could see a lot of
road ahead of me, so I decided that was far enough.

I don't suppose you took a GPS reading. I just drew a path from what I
believe to be the cutoff to Crystal Lake up to the Angeles Crest --
6.something miles. The Google earth pix were from 2006, not very
informative. I wish they'd take high-res pix of INTERESTING areas (like
Monument Valley, for instance) like they do of cities, but NOOOOOO!
Maybe I should hold my nose and try Bing...

There are
construction machines and materials all along the stretch I hiked, and
the worst areas are being rebuilt, so it may be open again in a year
or two.

Unless somebody finds another bird's nest fragment :-(

It was spooky walking along watching little rockslides coming down to
the road every few minutes. And there is one stretch across a cliff-
face looming a couple of hundred feet over the road, and a big leap
below.

Stuff like that is scary. There is (or was) a place on the Chaney Trail
road with a metal grid clinging to the hill -- maybe 3 feet x 30 feet.
Perfectly safe (HA!), but straight down through the grid. Very
unpleasant. I don't remember actually crossing it, but I know there's a
tunnel up near the top so I must have.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old May 8th 11, 03:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On May 7, 11:37*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

I found the current (approved!) EIR which says the total length is
44,4 miles and more less agrees with my other estimates, so I would
have had to walk another 2 hours (1 up and 1 down) to get to the end.
Maybe I will try that from the top end sometime soon.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/resourc...inal_sigv2.pdf
Old May 8th 11, 04:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 05/08/11 08:52, Richard Henry wrote:

I found the current (approved!) EIR which says the total length is
44,4 miles and more less agrees with my other estimates, so I would
have had to walk another 2 hours (1 up and 1 down) to get to the end.
Maybe I will try that from the top end sometime soon.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/resourc...inal_sigv2.pdf

Jesus. I downloaded that a long time ago and was absolutely outraged in
the crap it contained. If this is a canonical example, the whole
concept of EIRs should be forbidden.

Take a bicycle. Have somebody drop you at the top and meet you at the
bottom. Got a helmet-cam?

I've heard that the whole road is passable by the FS people but not by
the public. All usual disclaimers apply, do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Coming up -- dentistry in Algodones and another shot at touring the
fascinating and beautiful Yuma Sewage Treatment Facility. Weather
supposed to be in the 80s instead of the 90s or 100s. We can hope.

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old May 8th 11, 05:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

[...]

No GPS, but I looked it up on google maps.

The current closure just above Crystal Lake turnoff, where I parked:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...04823&t=k&z=18

Milepost 40 gate, where the 33-year closure begins:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...04823&t=k&z=18

The cliff faces:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...04823&t=k&z=18

Major reconstruction, the road dug up to build a large concrete
culvert underneath:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...04823&t=k&z=18

Major reconstruction, rebuilding the road foundation way down the
slope:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...04823&t=k&z=18

Where I turned around:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...04823&t=k&z=18
Old May 8th 11, 06:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 05/08/11 10:16, Richard Henry wrote:

On May 7, 11:37 pm, The Real wrote:
[...]

Wow. Excellent research project! Saved so I don't lose it...

--
Cheers,
Bev

Big Bear 3-24-11 Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 12 March 29th 11 10:59 PM
Big Bear lal_truckee Alpine Skiing 13 December 29th 10 02:58 PM
Just another day at Big Bear Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 8 January 15th 10 12:22 AM
big bear Adam North American Ski Resorts 0 January 10th 07 12:34 AM
Anyone been to Bear Mtn yet? stephen enriquez Snowboarding 0 December 2nd 03 08:24 AM