Adirondacks NY over Labor Day weekend

Old August 21st 03, 12:43 AM
Gary Jacobson

Default Adirondacks NY over Labor Day weekend

Don't think they'll let you roller ski up Whiteface Rd. as it is a toll road
for tourists.
Running up Mt. Marcy is a tradition of sorts.
Get to the Canoe Museum in Blue Mtn.
Have fun.
gary

"Ken Roberts" wrote in message
Looks like I'm going to finally get to the challenge of the Adirondacks,
over the weekend of August 29 - September 2.

High on my list is trying to ski up the Whiteface Mt road. Sharon and I

are
going to be staying near Glens Falls, so I'm also thinking of Prospect Mt
(NY), maybe Mt Greylock (MA).

Probably do some road biking on my off days.

What are some other summer skiing things to do in that area?

Anyone want to meet for some skiing -- especially to share a car shuttle
down one of these hills?

Ken

Old August 21st 03, 02:30 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

I'll be in the Adirondacks that weekend, too, but at the other end,
camping at Cranberry Lake with the family.

-Mitch

Old August 21st 03, 02:37 AM
Jay Tegeder

Start in Lake George for the trip up Prospect Mountain. Rollerskiing
on the Lake George Bike Path from Glens Falls to Lake George is a good
workout out and back. If you decide to climb or rollerski to the top
of Greylock (start in North Adams to rollerski to the top, start in
Adams to hike to the summit), you might consider a side trip to Mount
Frissel in Connecticut since that is the Constitution State's high
point.

Jay Tegeder
"I faders spar for framtids segrar"

Old August 21st 03, 02:50 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

The toll booth is about half way up the road. Below that is an
unrestricted road that goes up one side and down the other. My
foggy recollection from cycling it is that there _seemed_ to be
less traffic on the "back" side. I can't tell you about rollerskiing
the upper half as I've never done it. I have skied it on snow a
few times during Thanksgiving weekends long past. That was always
a very sureal (sp?) experience for me.

On a holiday weekend there will probably be quite a bit of traffic
on that road. I would stop in at High Peaks Cyclery and ask where
the locals recommend for rollerskiing. There is a hugely steep
road out towards Keene that's off the beaten path but I have no
recollection of its name. I discovered it when it was part of the
course of a bike race I did there. Granted it doesn't have as much
total vertical as Whiteface, but it's a good challenge. This was
later the site of the 1-mile uphill double-poll "drill" (race for
some) that I put the ski-O team through during a training camp,
which I described here a few months ago in another post.

-Mitch

Old August 21st 03, 10:33 AM
Douglas Diehl

I live in the Adirondacks and here is the skiiny on perhaps one the best
cycling rides. Park your car at exit 24 off the ADK Northway. There is a
little lot on the corner. Ride north on the Schroon River road. This follows
a series of rapids very close to he road. About 4 miles in bear right on the
Hayesburg Rd. At about 1mile make left on Tannery Rd. Your now on Rt. 8.
After several hundred feet make right on Water Tub Rd. Here you will find
the best public spring in the area. Continue past the spring and cross
Valentine Pond Rd. You are now back on Schroon River Rd. Follow to the
southern end of Schroon Lake. Just before the NY State boat launch make a
right and ride the shoreline of Schroon Lake to the town of Adirondack.
Views of several high peaks are outstanding. Stop at the Adirondack General
store for a snack. If you wish to return via an alternate route continue
past the store going east and make the right on Valentine Pond Rd. This will
bring you back to the Water Tub. There are countless other loops. Another
great loop is around Brant Lake. On the back side of the lake the road is
literally next to the water. Exit 24 is about 15-20 north of Glens Falls. If
you want some company send a email.

Old August 21st 03, 05:57 PM
Ken Roberts

I just called a bicyclist in Lake Placid, and he said the Whiteface Mountain
toll road is open to tourists and cars during the daytime, and they won't
let you ride then (like Gary warned). But the road is closed to cars at
night -- and early morning and later evening -- so those are times when
non-motorized users are normally allowed to be on the road.

I said I'd go for early morning, and he said you could, but you have to make
sure you're back down and off by like 8:15 am -- well before they open the
road to the motorized public.

The obvious idea is to ski up in the evening, bring sneakers and a headlamp
in my backpack, then jog back down the road.

Alternative which seems attractive to me: Start real early in the morning,
ski up the toll road to the top. Then put on jacket and wind-pants -- and
wait for Sharon to drive up the toll road when they open it, and take me
back down in the car.

Ken

Old August 21st 03, 06:04 PM
Ken Roberts

Any restrictions on non-motorized use of the Prospect Mt road (like for
Whiteface Mt)?

Jay Tegeder wrote
you might consider a side trip to Mount Frissel in Connecticut

You can rollerski to that summit?

Ken

Old August 21st 03, 06:04 PM
Ken Roberts

Mitch Collinsworth wrote
There is a hugely steep road out towards Keene

Might that be the road that takes off from Rt 73, starting just south of Rt
9N and climbing East up to Glenmore and Big Crow Mt?

Ken

Old August 21st 03, 07:41 PM
revyakin

Ken, it's better to wait till they close the toll road for traffic in
the fall. I rollerskied/skied up that road, and it's fun.

A nice spot for rollerskiing in LP area is "Bear Cub Road". It's south
from the village, next to the village hospital. About ~3 miles in
length as I remember. Nice pavement and rolling terrain. Ask people at
HP cyclery for directions.

Ice skating on the Lucy's runk is all year round. No crowds.

Old August 22nd 03, 02:01 AM
Jay Tegeder

Mount Frissel in Connecticut is hike only. Greylock can be
rollerskied. I don't think they will let you roolerski to the top of
Prospect Mountain in Lake George until the park closes in the fall.
You could give it a try though. The hiking trail is excellent though.
When you're in LP, check out the Black Bear restaurant. That's where
Dave Matthews and I ran into Ed Williams of 1960s U.S. Ski Team
Fame...

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT