Hot enough fer ya!

Old August 18th 03, 12:28 PM
John O'Connell

Default Hot enough fer ya!

Last Friday....high noon on the Gateway trail doing progressive skate roller
ski intervals. The workout, with lots of rest in between repeats and cool
down time, was about an hour. I was completely baked when I got back to my
car. Temp was 94F with significant humidity when I finished and I was
thinking that I could not do this in any hotter weather.

What were the hottest conditions that you ever roller skied in...I think I
have found my limit

John OC

Old August 18th 03, 07:40 PM
Bob Creasote

It's been pretty hot here too. The other day, like an idiot, I was out in 35
degrees and I started late in the afternoon. It has been crazy hot over her
(Germany and the rest of Europe)

Is there some kind of summer rollerski boot. I've already put a massive rip
in my boots so I am not looking forward to the winter. I've either got hot
and sweaty feet or cold and icy feet. Hahaha.....Great!

:O)

Old August 19th 03, 10:04 AM
FrontRunner

Remember this a winter sport. With it that hot maybe an interval workout
might have been saved for another day.

The FrontRunner
That's even to hot for golf

Old August 20th 03, 04:25 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

John, Next time you're in LA get ahold of rsn lurker Hank Garretson and
join him for a rollerski in the high desert. Maybe you'll get to try a dry
90 degrees at 9 or 10 am.

I'm finding this year that if the temp is much above 80, when I use one
part of my body, such as legs for cycling or skating w/o poles, then I can
do well. But put upper and lower together and things start feeling hard.

Gene

Old August 22nd 03, 05:26 PM
Nathan Schultz

Just got back from Tierra del Fuego, Argentina. Did intervals yesterday
morning at -7C (19F) on extra blue before getting on the plane in the
afternoon. We had two weeks of good skiing, although they had the warmest
July on record, so conditions were a little worse than usual down there.
Pretty cool to be in winter, though.

-Nathan
http://nsavage.com

Old August 22nd 03, 06:10 PM
Nathan Schultz

Hi Justin,

It was one of the Subaru Factory Team Academies that we are running. I
partnered up with a company (SkiFire) that ran the trip itself, and we
focused on the instructional part of the camp. SkiFire did all the
logistics (hotel, transport, meals, grooming) and provided translation
services, which we would definitely not have been able to handle without
them. We had 9 people down there, with 3 doing the full Subaru Factory Team
Academy, and the rest taking part in a few days of the Academy and a few
days on their own.

You could make it on your own down there, but it would be rough without
a good Spanish speaker and local knowledge. The biggest issue down there is
consistent grooming. We paid the local club to provide grooming at our
standards. It did not work out perfectly as we did not have as many
kilometers as we had hoped, but we skied every day on at least 10km of
freshly groomed trail and had 40km available for about a week. Without this
special arrangement, though, I've heard that it is very unreliable, and they
generally only have 5-10km.

The dates for our trip will probably be about the same next year (August
8-18th), because we plan it around the big 21km FIS race they have down
there. They have about 700 people in the race and it's quite an event. You
can see info on the trip at http://skifire.com.

-Nathan
http://nsavage.com

"Justin F. Knotzke" wrote in message
quote who= Nathan Schultz /:
Just got back from Tierra del Fuego, Argentina. Did intervals

yesterday
morning at -7C (19F) on extra blue before getting on the plane in the
afternoon. We had two weeks of good skiing, although they had the

warmest
July on record, so conditions were a little worse than usual down there.
Pretty cool to be in winter, though.

That is very cool (as in hip ;-) ).

Was this trup some sort of a package deal or did you set it up
yourself? I'd be really interested in doing something similiar. Would
you do it again? What about the language barrier? Are there lots of
places to ski?

Thanks.

Justin F. Knotzke

http://www.shampoo.ca

Old August 24th 03, 06:38 PM
Hank Garretson

At 05:46 08/18/03 Monday, John O'Connel wrote:

What were the hottest conditions that you ever roller skied in...I think I
have found my limit

105 degrees F. Above 100 is relatively common here in the Mojave Desert.

Ski Joyfully,

Hank

Lancaster, Calif.