Speaking of Poorly Designed Ski Websites . . .

Old January 17th 04, 01:08 PM
Varanasi Benares

Default Speaking of Poorly Designed Ski Websites . . .

A common topic around here but maybe it's just me.

Without Flash, Salomon's site doesn't work. With Flash, it is clumsy,
slow, and devoid of real content. I went here because I was confused
about the differences between binding models. I remain confused. Would
anyone really be more prone to buy bindings because a manufacturer's
site has nice graphics while "loading"?

http://www.salomonski.com

Old January 17th 04, 04:52 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-01-17, Varanasi Benares penned:
A common topic around here but maybe it's just me.

Without Flash, Salomon's site doesn't work. With Flash, it is clumsy,
slow, and devoid of real content. I went here because I was confused
about the differences between binding models. I remain confused.
Would anyone really be more prone to buy bindings because a
manufacturer's site has nice graphics while "loading"?

http://www.salomonski.com

I also hate their website.

Somewhere on there, you can download a pdf that compares all their
bindings. There's not a huge amount of info in the pdf, but at least
you can see them all listed in one place.

--
monique

Old January 19th 04, 05:24 AM
Walt

Varanasi Benares wrote:

A common topic around here but maybe it's just me.

Without Flash, Salomon's site doesn't work. With Flash, it is clumsy,
slow, and devoid of real content. I went here because I was confused
about the differences between binding models. I remain confused. Would
anyone really be more prone to buy bindings because a manufacturer's
site has nice graphics while "loading"?

http://www.salomonski.com

Salomon, and every other ski vendor. Without exception, their sites
suck. Little or no information, and excessive swooping, whooshing,
dancing baloney.

I think they're all trying to out-suck each other.

In Salomon's case, however, the quality of the website is indicative
of the quality of their bindings. You'll be better off with Markers,
Tyrollias or Look/Rossi.

--
// Walt
//

Old January 19th 04, 01:21 PM
Richard Walsh

Walt wrote in
:

Varanasi Benares wrote:

A common topic around here but maybe it's just me.

Without Flash, Salomon's site doesn't work. With Flash, it is clumsy,
slow, and devoid of real content. I went here because I was confused
about the differences between binding models. I remain confused.
Would
anyone really be more prone to buy bindings because a manufacturer's
site has nice graphics while "loading"?

http://www.salomonski.com

Salomon, and every other ski vendor. Without exception, their sites
suck. Little or no information, and excessive swooping, whooshing,
dancing baloney.

I think they're all trying to out-suck each other.

In Salomon's case, however, the quality of the website is indicative
of the quality of their bindings. You'll be better off with Markers,
Tyrollias or Look/Rossi.

I haven't gone to all of the manufacturer's sites, but I quite
agree that the ones I've been to suck.

but...
Varanasi did ask a question. What's the difference between
models of Salomon bindings?

1. The "Spheric" toepiece is a modern rendition of the old
original Look Nevada 2 toe, complete with the requirement that
you must adjust the height of the wings to suit your boot
sole and you must adjust the spread of the wings also to suit
your boot sole.

These have NO upward release feature but unlike the Nevada 2,
they move upward as they pivot reducing the pressure on your
boot, hence the "spheric" designation. Differences in price
and models within this group have to do with subltle niceities
like DIN setting range, materials and "extras" like the AFD
which, when you push down on it, decreases the effort needed
to pivot the toepiece.

2. The "Quadrax" toepiece is a Marker clone (it might also be
a Geze clone). There is no need for adjusting to the boot sole,
there is up-release. Traditionally this has been Salomon's
entry level and rental binding. In the past little marketing
effort was expended trying to sell these to upper end skiers.
Older versions rarely have a top DIN setting of more than 9.
Lately, however, I've seen some Quadrax toes on Pilot type
skis with a top DIN of 12 and the SIZE of the things quite
overblown with no change in function.

There are also price differences within this group the same as
in the Spheric group.

I use and like Salomon spheric bindings. Currently I use
S912 Alium on both pairs of skis. The functioning parts of
the bindings are all metal (presumably aluminum and steel),
do a good job of keeping me in place and seem to work when
necessary.

Spheric Salomons are the ones people are talking about when
they say use Salomons when you are looking for retention or
use Markers when you are looking for reliable release.