Salomon Pro Combi Pilot

Old March 25th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Salomon Pro Combi Pilot

Anyone have experience with the Salomon Pro Combi Pilot boots for skate
rollerskiing? My original bumblebees need to be replaced and it'd be
nice to have one boot for both techniques? Still skiing on snow,
but sale prices make now a good time to buy.

Gene
Old March 26th 09, 01:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Mar 25, 1:57*pm, wrote:
Anyone have experience with the Salomon Pro Combi Pilot boots for skate
rollerskiing? *My original bumblebees need to be replaced and it'd be
nice to have one boot for both techniques? *Still skiing on snow,
but sale prices make now a good time to buy.

Gene

Gene,

I almost bought a pair last spring for same purpose but the boot felt
very warm to me just wearing them in the shop so I passed.

JOC
Old March 26th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 25, 2:57*pm, wrote:
Anyone have experience with the Salomon Pro Combi Pilot boots for skate
rollerskiing? *My original bumblebees need to be replaced and it'd be
nice to have one boot for both techniques? *Still skiing on snow,
but sale prices make now a good time to buy.

Gene

I haven't tried that boot specifically, but I have tried combi bood
for skate roller skiing with unsatisfactory results. I want the
stiffest boots (and binding flexors) possible for skate roller skiing,
'cuz asphalt is a lot harder than snow to fall on. I use my combis
for just classic roller skiing now.

Randy
Old March 27th 09, 05:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected][_2_]

Funny timing. I just ordered the S-Lab Skiathlons from Gear West this
week and expect them some time early next week. Plan to use them
mostly for skate roller skiing, hoping the lower cuff is not as hot as
the Pro Skate boots. And hope the support is there. Have not tried
them on in person, but if they seem comfortable and stiff enough for a
rollerski, will let you know how it goes next week.

RE previous comments. Definitely want stiff but assume these will be
fine for skate purposes since the elites use it on snow for pursuits.
Not sure if rollerski motions put more or less flex stress on the boot
vs. snow skiing (would guess a little more given try as I might, not
always roller gliding at a 90 degree to the ground, more "edging").
Also not sure about the thickness comment, is that a question about
durability or flex or both?

On Mar 26, 9:56*pm, wrote:
I use combis for classical rollerskiing too. *Gear West says the Pro
Combis (and S-Lab Skiathlons) are flexed closer to skating, but are
still a bit soft in the forefoot. *Haven't made a decision yet, but the
other thing that worries me is the thinness of the carbon sole vs. the
older plastic on pavement. *

Gene

Old March 27th 09, 06:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Look forward to your report. Thinness wasn't the word I wanted. I was
referring to a carbon fiber sole being more vibration prone from
asphalt. On snow, they transmit the cold much more readily than the
earlier plastic models.

Gene

Old April 7th 09, 06:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected][_2_]

Sorry the boots I got were a size too big I think (was seeing if it
work, but too much room). Thinking of returning and going to see if I
can get a pair from somewhere. Will provide feedback when I figure out
the new plan.

Purely from trying the S-Lab Skiathlon boots on for sizing, they are
noticeably lighter than the S-Lab Skate boots and old Carbon Pro skate
models. They appear to be close to the exact same physical dimensions
as the S-Lab skate boots minus the ankle cuff. The ankle cuff seems
less stiff vs. the skate version, but hard to tell without skiing in
them. TBD.

New Salomon Pilot Carbon Classic 11UK and Pilot Carbon Combi 11.5UK on Ebay ADK Skier Nordic Skiing 0 November 9th 07 06:32 PM
Salomon Pilot Classic and Pilot 2 Classic Foot Pain ADK Skier Nordic Skiing 9 December 7th 06 05:08 PM
Atomic R11 vs Salomon Scream 10 Pilot Jon C Alpine Skiing 3 December 23rd 04 12:41 PM
Salomon Pilot 8s MARKUS Alpine Skiing 0 October 21st 04 01:14 AM
Salomon Crossmax 8 pilot or rossignol B2 Michele Wojtan Marketplace 6 September 7th 04 12:59 AM