Boot fitter - La Tania

Old February 14th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
labomba

Default Boot fitter - La Tania

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a boot fitter in La Tania.

Thanks

Blamps

Old February 14th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MadCow

In message . com,
labomba writes
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a boot fitter in La Tania.

No, it's too small. You'll find them in 1850.

--
Sue ]
Old February 15th 07, 08:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

labomba wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a boot fitter in La Tania.

Try Jean Blanc Sports in Courchevel 1850.
Old February 15th 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Stan Mullery

On 14 Feb 2007 11:34:40 -0800, "labomba"
wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a boot fitter in La Tania.

Thanks

Blamps

Try www.freeride.fr they have a shop in Courchevel 1850 and in
Meribel.

Used them last year for my daughter. Very good. Even set her up with
a lesson in order to understand how fitted boots differ from stock
rentals. Made a vast difference to her skiing.

Stan
Old February 15th 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mads Bondo Dydensborg

Stan Mullery wrote:

Used them last year for my daughter. Very good. Even set her up with
a lesson in order to understand how fitted boots differ from stock
rentals. Made a vast difference to her skiing.

How do they differ then?

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on
the Christian religion." -George Washington, November 4, 1796

"No, I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor
should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-George H. W. Bush, August 27, 1987

Old February 15th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Stan Mullery

Rental boots tend not to fit. Your foot will move within the boot at
some point or be compressed and cause pressure points/discomfort.
Your brain initiates an action, your body anf foot implement it and
then your foot transfers it to the boot, the boot in turn to the ski
edge.

The whole "fit" thing varies as the week goes on as your perception of
comfort/pain changes. You tend to put up with it and just tighten up
the latches as the week goes by, loosening on the lifts.

With a properley fitted boot the starting point is your foot and
orthopedic stance. This then dictates the boot, not brand, colour,
price etc.

Once fitted correctly the foot - boot "interface" is as seamless as
possible. The timing between brain and edge is a lot quicker and you
lose the roll of the foot within the boot. It imparts more confidence
and her whole sking style became a lot more fluid and sharper.

You could clearly see this. Day three of skiing. One hour on the
slopes, two and a half hours having a fitting and then one hour
immediately after with a BASS instructor on his lunch break. Major
improvement in her whole body movement and control as she now "felt"
her skis were responding to her.

Same skis, same conditions, same ability but more connection between
thought and action.

I've skied for over 34 years now and was content to make my own choice
on boots. The classic clamp them up at the top of the hill and loosen
them at the bottom.

8 years ago I broke my old boots and was introduced tp Precision in
Val D'Isere and had boots fitted. A felow chalet guest booked at the
same time as me. I left my feet in the hands of the fitter and have a
pair off boots that I really am not aware of when I ski. I clip them
up in the morning tightly and don't touch them again until the
evening. Perfect control etc.

My fellow guest insisted he wanted a pair of Salomon boots, colour
Red. The fitter refused and told him to go elsewhere or come back to
the shop next day and buy them because he was certainly not going to
"fit" them as they were the wrong boots for his feet.

Stan

Old February 16th 07, 07:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mads Bondo Dydensborg

Stan Mullery wrote:

Rental boots tend not to fit. Your foot will move within the boot at
some point or be compressed and cause pressure points/discomfort.
Your brain initiates an action, your body anf foot implement it and
then your foot transfers it to the boot, the boot in turn to the ski
edge.

Thanks for your response.

I was just curious, as I thought you were speaking of something entirely
different (you did mention a lesson). Technically, one could imagine a
rental boot actually fitting (some people seems to have no problems).

The whole "fit" thing varies as the week goes on as your perception of
comfort/pain changes. You tend to put up with it and just tighten up
the latches as the week goes by, loosening on the lifts.

I am on my second pair of fitted boots, which I got about 3 weeks ago, and
have just skiied a week on. I still have problems (I seem to be moving
forward in the boot - my heelp seems to be slipping about 3-5 mm forward
during the day, and my pinkies seems to suffer from this). But I am now on
a level of pain that I can endure for the whole day, while I used to be
unable to have my boots clamped for more than an hour at most. I am taking
the boots to my fitter (which I do not know how good is) next week -
hopefully he can help me out.

Regards,

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

So the lesson of BBC is that if you're misleading about whether the
government misled you into war, management must resign. What about the
simpler case -- you're just misleading about going to war?

- Lawrence Lessig (30.01.2004) on BBC and the Iraqi war

Old February 16th 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Stan Mullery

Mads,

When I'm just standing around in my boots my toes are touching the
front of the boot and I can feel it. When I adopt a correct ski
stance, drop my weight and put pressure on the front of the boot and
soles of my feet then my toes flatten and my foot moves back in the
boot 3 - 5 mm. My heel stays flat.

There's a difference between rental boots fitting (lots of space,
comfortable, no pressure points etc.) but your foot will move and
boots that are actually in contact with you at all the correct points
and effecting transfer of movement with maximum efficiency and
accuracy to the ski.

If I feel my toes touching I know I'm being lazy or if late in the day
tired and not working my skis properly.

The other thing to bear in mind is that for the first few days with
boots on your feet will object to being clamped. Muscles and
circulation will all tense and pump. Once they start to relax and
accept this new exo-skeleton you will find the need to fine tune your
boot buckles. That's why they twist in/out so as you have more than
just five fixed settings.

Once you've got this right, usually day four, then your set. If you
are skiing all season then the muscle mass in your calf will change
and you'll have to adjust to it.

Normal one week holiday skiers have just got their boots 100% right
when it's time to come home.

Still a vast variation in boot fits between manufacturer and models.
Feet come in so many shapes and muscular and circulatory problems.

Stan

Old February 16th 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

wrote:

I am on my second pair of fitted boots, which I got about 3 weeks ago, and
have just skiied a week on. I still have problems (I seem to be moving
forward in the boot - my heelp seems to be slipping about 3-5 mm forward
during the day, and my pinkies seems to suffer from this). But I am now on
a level of pain that I can endure for the whole day, while I used to be
unable to have my boots clamped for more than an hour at most. I am taking
the boots to my fitter (which I do not know how good is) next week -
hopefully he can help me out.

Without wishing to sound condescending[1] have you considered taking
some advanced lessons? IME problems like this are nearly always caused
by less than perfect technique, which can sometimes be corrected very
quickly. Sometimes not, of course, as was the case with me some years
back. Your symptoms sound identical to what I used to be like, and it
took two weeks worth of lessons with BASI Trainers before we got to
the root of the problem.

In my case, it was due to the lack of use of a single muscle in the
shin, with which I was failing to pull my shins, and therefore knees,
forward to get my weight properly centred. As a consequence I was
having to lean forward from the hips, and any loss of equilibrium
would have my shins moving about unless they were tightened to the
agony point. It was clear what was wrong, but much more difficult to
identify the cause.

Once I'd cracked it I had to learn to ski all over again, as every
single type of turn felt completely different. Nowadays I can wear any
old boots, like my current touring ones, which are about as closely
fitting as a pair of wellies, without any adverse effects. Which is
nice.

[1] Well, no more than usual, anyway ;-)
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 16th 07, 09:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Stan Mullery

In the morningsIi do up my two foot clips normally and only just hook
in my two leg clips whilst walking to the gondola etc. and getting up
the mountain.

Many I time I've skied for a couple of hours and only when I've sat
down for elevenses have I realised I hadn't done my boots up.

Technique. I skied in the Snowdome in Dubai in November just for the
hell of it. The boots fitted the length of my foot but even with all
the clamps done up to maximum it still felt like a pair of wellies.
When I finished I took the boots off without undoing the clamps!

Scary....

Stan