Quick release method for lift tickets?

Old September 2nd 05, 11:27 AM
ant

Rich Heimlich wrote:
Hello all. As the new season is beginning its approach I've been
wondering about one thing that has always annoyed me and that's the
standard lift ticket metal loop that's used to attach it to your
jacket. I prefer to wear layers instead of one thick jacket so I often
need to change lift tickets between layers.

Many resorts now just give you the ticket with a hole in it, and a plastic
zip tie. I guess you just need some way of cutting the zip tie, and a
handful of zip ties.

--
ant

Old September 2nd 05, 11:55 AM
MoonMan

ant wrote:
Rich Heimlich wrote:
Hello all. As the new season is beginning its approach I've been
wondering about one thing that has always annoyed me and that's the
standard lift ticket metal loop that's used to attach it to your
jacket. I prefer to wear layers instead of one thick jacket so I
often need to change lift tickets between layers.

Many resorts now just give you the ticket with a hole in it, and a
plastic zip tie. I guess you just need some way of cutting the zip
tie, and a handful of zip ties.

I suspect you'd have to have the correct colour cable tie, cos they'll
probably start colour coding for the day.

It's far simpler to attach your pass to your trousers.

Everywhere I've used a day pass in europe they have insisted it was
permenantly attached otherwise they won't let you on the lift.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old September 2nd 05, 12:32 PM
ant

If you're worried that the ski area gets aggressive about removable ticket
mounts, make yourself a D-bit ring lke the ones that hang off your jackets
and pants, but in the straight bit that is hidden inside the fabric, make
something that allows you to remove it, like a big cut, or thin enough metal
to bend it, but is not evident to casual glance.
The only caution is that such a thing needs to be checked after crashes, to
ensure your ticket and the d-bit ring haven't come off.

--
ant

Old September 2nd 05, 12:34 PM
VtSkier

ant wrote:
Rich Heimlich wrote:

Hello all. As the new season is beginning its approach I've been
wondering about one thing that has always annoyed me and that's the
standard lift ticket metal loop that's used to attach it to your
jacket. I prefer to wear layers instead of one thick jacket so I often
need to change lift tickets between layers.

Many resorts now just give you the ticket with a hole in it, and a plastic
zip tie. I guess you just need some way of cutting the zip tie, and a
handful of zip ties.

Killington uses colored zip-ties. Don't show up with a black
one when they are using red that day.
Old September 2nd 05, 12:48 PM
Tero Ahlqvist

wrote in message
oups.com...
Some skiers attach their lift tickets to a boot buckle. I have yet to
meet a skier who planned on changing boots in the middle of the day.

o/
/0 Occasionally switching between alpine and tele gear
/ \ during one day.

-Tero-

Old September 2nd 05, 02:13 PM

MoonMan wrote:
It's far simpler to attach your pass to your trousers.

There are a lot of reasonable altenatives if your real problem is
shedding layers later in the day. It seems clear that Rich Heimlich
wants to defy the ski areas. The honorable thing to do would be to
abide by the ski area rules: if you insist on making the lift ticket
easily transferable, you should only patronize the ski areas where this
is allowed. For example, the last time I was there, you could do this
at Zermatt.

Old September 2nd 05, 04:27 PM
Rich Heimlich

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 00:46:02 -0400, "JQ" wrote:

Hi Rich,

Hey, figured you'd pop in here soon enough on this. grin

time consuming. The only other way to over come the problem is if the piece
of clothing you want to use has a plastic ticket loop, pull the loop around
so that the flat part is exposed and the rounded part is inside of the loop
holder, now with a very fine saw (hack saw) cut the center of the flat part.

Could be me but for someone not familiar with the pieces you're
talking about, that all just read like latin to me. Not sure what a
plastic ticket loop is for starters. grin
Old September 2nd 05, 04:46 PM
Rich Heimlich

On 2 Sep 2005 07:13:20 -0700, wrote:

There are a lot of reasonable altenatives if your real problem is
shedding layers later in the day. It seems clear that Rich Heimlich
wants to defy the ski areas. The honorable thing to do would be to

I don't want to defy the ski areas. I want to be the the one not
inconvenienced in the relationship here. I like the idea of hooking it
to the pants which in no way defies the resort.

Understand that my background is in technology and I've worked with
many companies that provide solutions for this sort of problem. Any
situation where your inconveniencing your customers because you're
afraid they're stealing from you is not a good situation.

For example, I no longer shop at places that check my bag and receipt
when I leave. I find that sort of behavior entirely insulting. I don't
find the passive gates to be insulting (they just have to get their
equipment working so that the alarm doesn't go off incorrectly).

What's been made quite clear from the two places I've discussed this
is that A) theft via the use of another persons lift ticket is
seemingly a large problem. B) The policy of attaching the lift ticket
to a seemingly permanent location is apparently not resolving the
problem.

Lets take a VERY simple situation. I want to preface this by stating,
CLEARLY, that I have NOT done the following but now that I think of
it, it seems like a defensible position. Say I buy an all-day,
all-night lift ticket and I ski all day and all night. I am taking up
the amount of space that lift ticket has been factored for. No more.
No less. If I happen to go head off the mountain to rest at 4pm and
give the ticket to my spouse for the evening, she's now out there
skiing in my place. We cannot BOTH ski at the same time using the one
lift ticket. Thus, the mountain is not burdened in any way and I'm
getting the investment out of the ticket that I purchased. Further, my
wife will be more likely to spend additional dollars at the mountain
that would have been lost with me just sitting back at the hotel
sleeping.

Are you suggesting that if you come upon a parking meter that has
extra time on it that you drive to a new location to find another
meter with no remaining time on it? grin Why should the mountain be
the only one to benefit in our mutual relationship? I paid for X hours
of skiing. X hours of skiing would be used

abide by the ski area rules: if you insist on making the lift ticket
easily transferable, you should only patronize the ski areas where this
is allowed. For example, the last time I was there, you could do this
at Zermatt.

I'd prefer to not act like a sheep and just accept anything my
"partner" in this arrangement suggests is acceptable. As a consumer I
have a stake in our relationship as well so I'm taking time to suggest
that the current setup clearly isn't working for either side here and
that it's time to consider other alternatives.
Old September 2nd 05, 05:03 PM
Richard Henry

"Rich Heimlich" wrote in message

Are you suggesting that if you come upon a parking meter that has
extra time on it that you drive to a new location to find another
meter with no remaining time on it? grin Why should the mountain be
the only one to benefit in our mutual relationship? I paid for X hours
of skiing. X hours of skiing would be used

OT re parking meters: it is illegal in the city of San Diego to put money
in a parking meter that will prevent someone else getting a parking ticket.

The case in point, several years ago: a meter maid (do we still have
those?) was standing by a meter, waiting the last few minutes to run out. A
passerby said something impolite and put into the meter enough change to
give an extra hour's worth of time. The meter maid called for a regular
cop, who issued the passerby a citation.

Obski, in re parking fees: if I pay $10 for the upclose VIP parking, how
long am I allowed to leave the car there?

Old September 2nd 05, 06:02 PM

Rich Heimlich wrote:
I no longer shop at places that check my bag and receipt when I leave.

This is almost what I suggested about giving your business to areas
that will explicitly offer their services on terms that are agreeable
to you. Vote with you feet and your pocketbook instead of secretly
violating their rules. Let them know why you are choosing to go
somewhere else.

What's been made quite clear from the two places I've discussed this
is that A) theft via the use of another persons lift ticket is
seemingly a large problem. B) The policy of attaching the lift ticket
to a seemingly permanent location is apparently not resolving the
problem.

I would guess that it does reduce the amount of lift ticket fraud, but
that it is not perfect because there will always be some who will go to
great lengths to be able to share their lift tickets. I would not be
surprised to hear that some people would go so far as to share their
ski outfits, switching jackets, pants, boots, or whatever it takes.

Are you suggesting that if you come upon a parking meter that has
extra time on it that you drive to a new location to find another
meter with no remaining time on it? grin Why should the mountain be
the only one to benefit in our mutual relationship? I paid for X hours
of skiing. X hours of skiing would be used

Well, that is a fine rationalization, but those are not the terms on
which most ski areas offer their services. I do remember reading that
there were some ski areas that were offering lift tickets where they
charged either by the number of chair rides or the number of vertical
feet. I don't remember the details since I never skied at those areas,
and I don't even know if they are still doing it.

BTW, some cities have installed parking meters that reset themselves
when the space is vacated.