Quick release method for lift tickets?

Old September 1st 05, 08:53 PM
Richard Henry

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
.. .
Richard Henry wrote:

I have changed my ticket from long parts to shorts on nice spring days,

at
the ticket booth with their approval.

Ah. Was the change from "long parts" to "shorts" occasioned by
uncontrollable shrinkage due to cold; or possibly (if the "long parts"
were long enough) due to exposure?

Ouch. That WOULD be an unremovable ticket.

Old September 1st 05, 09:52 PM
TexasSkiNut

Rich Heimlich wrote:
Hello all. As the new season is beginning its approach I've been
wondering about one thing that has always annoyed me and that's the
standard lift ticket metal loop that's used to attach it to your
jacket. I prefer to wear layers instead of one thick jacket so I often
need to change lift tickets between layers.

What do others do to address this? The only thing I can think of is
some sort of link that would attach to the jacket but also hook the
ticket loop.

Clearly these must exist and I've just managed to miss them.

On a public forum for Camelback someone responded that Camelback
doesn't allow such solutions and if they saw it, would remove the lift
ticket and re-attach it to a permanent part of my jacket. I told the
poster that I'd allow no such action as that would be tantamount to
Camelback calling me a thief and that's not the sort of relationship I
entered into when I bought a lift ticket.

I simply want the ability to change equipment and to also have a
clean, fast way to remove the tickets at the end of the day when
scissors aren't always handy.

What I'm thinking I need now is a small clip that will loop through a
zipper hole. I could then attach the "wicket" to that and unsnap it
when I need to move it.

I use something a littler simpler: a zipper pull string/cord.
In other words, I tie the lift ticket wicket to the zipper instead of
attaching it directly. As far as the lift operators can tell, it's
attached to the zipper and not just the string/cord/whatchamacallit
that's tied to the actual zipper. Alternately, you can use one of
those clips with the retractable strings with a clip on the end like
the give you at Mt. Bachelor, but then, if the resort is that anal
about it being "permanently attached", they'd probably outlaw those.

Old September 1st 05, 11:05 PM

VtSkier wrote:
A good fitting pair of boots will always have some pressure
points. IMO it is impossible to get a pair of boots
comfortable on the fist go from the shop. Pretty good,
yes, but far from perfect. I've suffered badly from time
to time because I didn't have the sense to bring the old
boots along.

I must be lucky. Except for my first rentals, my boots have always fit
without any additional adjustment. Of course, once I found a brand
that fits my feet well, I have always gone back to the same brand. I
even have enough confidence to buy boots by mail order.

Old September 1st 05, 11:35 PM
VtSkier

Richard Henry wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Walt wrote:

I have. First day on the new pair of boots, bring along your trusty

old

boots just in case.

Ouch! I feel sorry for you. Your old boots might not fit the bindings
anymore. I break in my new boots for at least two days before I use
them on the slopes. I don't know if that was the reason, but my boots
have always been comfortable. At the very least, I would find out
ahead of time whether or not the boots were a good fit so I don't need
to plan on changing.

Getting back to the original subject, some ski areas suggest attaching
the lift tickets to the pants or other "permanent" clothing, and
discourage attaching them to jackets.

I have changed my ticket from long parts to shorts on nice spring days, at
the ticket booth with their approval.

Hmmm, skiing with long parts these day. Can I watch?
Old September 2nd 05, 01:54 AM
Rich Heimlich

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:20:57 -0400, VtSkier
wrote:

Now, go invent an easy way to change a ticket from one garment
to another. I'd suggest that you go to a guest services counter
and have them change your ticket to another part of your
anatomy.

Sorry, I find that ridiculous. I'm not about to go leave the mountain,
stand in another ticket window and explain to the clerk there that I
want to change jackets. Plus several places I've skied at make it
clear that no replacments are available.

An alternative to this is to have a ticket attachment point
on your pants. In all likelihood, you won't shed your pants
WHILE you are skiing. This is done all the time for this very
purpose. I've even seen tickets attached to boot buckles, but
this location is prone to ticket loss.

That's not a bad idea.
Old September 2nd 05, 01:56 AM
Rich Heimlich

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 12:17:10 -0700, Mike Treseler
wrote:

A keyring works for me.

You have to love simplicity. Wow. I'd have spent a year on this and
not thought of a keyring! Thanks. So now I have a keyring or hooking
it on the pants that makes sense.
Old September 2nd 05, 02:05 AM
bumpfreaq

I've always used a keyring. I've never had a problem.

Chris

Old September 2nd 05, 02:47 AM
Jack Nixon

Mike Treseler wrote:

Rich Heimlich wrote:
I prefer to wear layers instead of one thick jacket so I often
need to change lift tickets between layers.
What do others do to address this?

A keyring works for me.

-- Mike Treseler

I used a split ring for the same purpose. Park City lift ops objected to
it and made me use their permanent attachment. That's the only place
that objected to it.

Jack

Old September 2nd 05, 04:46 AM
JQ

wrote:

A keyring works for me.

You have to love simplicity. Wow. I'd have spent a year on this and
not thought of a keyring! Thanks. So now I have a keyring or hooking
it on the pants that makes sense.

Hi Rich,

I used the key ring and at few places made me remove it to a permanent loop.
Like VtSkier had said most places will allow you to change from one jacket
or clothing to another if you go to customer service which is a hassle &
time consuming. The only other way to over come the problem is if the piece
of clothing you want to use has a plastic ticket loop, pull the loop around
so that the flat part is exposed and the rounded part is inside of the loop
holder, now with a very fine saw (hack saw) cut the center of the flat part.
Rotate it back the original position, now you can remove the lift ticket by
rotating the ring. As a safety precaution I would use a smaller key ring
under the plastic ticket ring just in case the plastic ring breaks. They
also make plastic key rings which most people will think it is the lift
ticket ring holder which would probably be the best thing to use.

JQ
Dancing on the edge