ISOLA 2000 at Easter

Old January 6th 05, 11:57 AM
col

Default ISOLA 2000 at Easter

If I'm quick there's an opportunity for a cheap holiday in ISOLA 2000
over Easter at end March. Concerned that there will be little or
slushy snow. Any thoughts on this, and whether it's easy to driver
there from Nice - would i need chains?

Thanks, Colin
Old January 6th 05, 12:02 PM
Simon Brown

"col" wrote in message
om...
If I'm quick there's an opportunity for a cheap holiday in ISOLA 2000
over Easter at end March. Concerned that there will be little or
slushy snow. Any thoughts on this, and whether it's easy to driver
there from Nice - would i need chains?

Thanks, Colin

Given current weather I would wait - prospects are not good at the moment.
None of the locals can remember a winter as warm as this one, all agree that
there is steadily less snow and rising temperatures.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old January 6th 05, 02:08 PM
PG

"Simon Brown" wrote in message
| "col" wrote in message
| om...
| If I'm quick there's an opportunity for a cheap holiday in ISOLA
2000
| over Easter at end March. Concerned that there will be little or
| slushy snow. Any thoughts on this, and whether it's easy to driver
| there from Nice - would i need chains?
|
| Thanks, Colin
|
| Given current weather I would wait - prospects are not good at the
moment.
| None of the locals can remember a winter as warm as this one, all
agree that
| there is steadily less snow and rising temperatures.
| --

Don't think that's common to all the Alps? It's been very cold in the
Tarentaise Valley for example - there just hasn't been enough
precipitation. The snowfall of Dec 18th is still thick on the ground
here in Bourg St Maurice, right down to 800m.

Isola is a bit of a special case too - end of March has been excellent
there these past few years. In fact the end of the season could well
have been extended last year. It certainly could have been in the
Savoie - I was skiing until mid-May, with some fantastic powder days in
Val Thorens around May 10th.

Pete - SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net/

Old January 6th 05, 02:11 PM
Simon Brown

"PG" wrote in message

Don't think that's common to all the Alps? It's been very cold in the
Tarentaise Valley for example - there just hasn't been enough
precipitation. The snowfall of Dec 18th is still thick on the ground
here in Bourg St Maurice, right down to 800m.

All I can M'Lud is that it's the first week in January and the snow on the
roof is melting fast. I've never seen anything like this *and* it's going to
be much warmer over the weekend.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old January 6th 05, 02:25 PM
Ace

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:11:09 +0100, "Simon Brown"
wrote:

All I can M'Lud is that it's the first week in January and the snow on the
roof is melting fast. I've never seen anything like this *and* it's going to
be much warmer over the weekend.

You moan about the poor weather every season though, so why should we
believe you this time?

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 6th 05, 02:28 PM
PG

"Simon Brown" wrote in message
| "PG" wrote in message
|

| Don't think that's common to all the Alps? It's been very cold in
the
| Tarentaise Valley for example - there just hasn't been enough
| precipitation. The snowfall of Dec 18th is still thick on the ground
| here in Bourg St Maurice, right down to 800m.
|

| All I can M'Lud is that it's the first week in January and the snow on
the
| roof is melting fast. I've never seen anything like this *and* it's
going to
| be much warmer over the weekend.

Didn't we get a very warm spell this time last Jan? Seem to remember we
had plenty of snow before during November/December, but then the mini
heatwave did some serious damage, with rain to 3000m+.

At the moment the forecast here is for a couple of warm days Fri and
Sat, then colder again. Whatever, it's certainly not ideal :-(

Pete

Old January 6th 05, 02:44 PM
Simon Brown

wrote:

All I can M'Lud is that it's the first week in January and the snow on

the
roof is melting fast. I've never seen anything like this *and* it's going

be much warmer over the weekend.

You moan about the poor weather every season though, so why should we
believe you this time?

Well it has got worse over the last 15 years, no doubt about that. Thing is
we never got the big pre-season dump, instead we got some grotty powder.
Let's see what happens.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old January 6th 05, 03:40 PM
Greg Hilton

Ace wrote in
:

wrote:

All I can M'Lud is that it's the first week in January and the snow on
the roof is melting fast. I've never seen anything like this *and*
it's going to be much warmer over the weekend.

You moan about the poor weather every season though, so why should we
believe you this time?

To be fair Bruce he does tantalise us pre-season with stories of storks,
berries and other wildlife indicating the best winter ever....

cheers,

greg
Old January 6th 05, 03:47 PM
Champ

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:44:28 +0100, "Simon Brown"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

All I can M'Lud is that it's the first week in January and the snow on

the
roof is melting fast. I've never seen anything like this *and* it's going

be much warmer over the weekend.

You moan about the poor weather every season though, so why should we
believe you this time?

Well it has got worse over the last 15 years, no doubt about that.

Yeah, my grandfather used to say much the same.

--
Champ
Old January 6th 05, 04:10 PM
WeatherCam

..

Didn't we get a very warm spell this time last Jan? Seem to remember we
had plenty of snow before during November/December, but then the mini
heatwave did some serious damage, with rain to 3000m+.

At the moment the forecast here is for a couple of warm days Fri and
Sat, then colder again. Whatever, it's certainly not ideal :-(

Pete

When we first started with guides etc, and we were all a wee bit naive after
a great day, we would be really enthusiastic asking about what the plans
were for the next day, and all he would say would be "Wait & See" - because
invariably that's all you can do if your plans depend on the weather - and
for those of you, and to a certain extent me included, who were getting
excited at the prospect of unsettled weather finally just before Xmas - I
did point out, in my glass half empty mode, that there was a High Pressure
system sitting out West of Iberia and how that could screw things up, said
same system, that is now hanging over the Alps - you can see from these
charts http://www.seaspritesports.com/ukobs2.htm - so I know mountains are
different to the sea but I've been monitoring weather patterns for a good
few years, and at times there is no real logic - but more to do with luck -
take the inshore forecasts today giving SW F7 - 8 - all we've had is F5
tops......

So yes there will be some snow, agree that things are tres bleak at the
moment - but the glaciers will eventually open as they become less hazardous
as the snow falls......