Pin hole protector "smiley plates"?

Old February 5th 05, 03:45 AM

Default Pin hole protector "smiley plates"?

I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar with what I believe are
called "smiley plates", a simple metal plate that lines up with
the pin holes on the boot sole and is screwed into the sole. I
noticed that the pin holes on my boots are starting to show some
wear, and was hoping to be able to get through the season without
tearing them out. The local shops didn't seem to know to where I
should turn. I searched this group, and came up with a reference
to them back in 1996, so they may have, like the Rainey Cable
Traks, gone the way of the dinosaur. Is there anything that I can
do to minimize further damage to the pin holes? I was thinking
of spraying the holes and the pins with silicone just to prevent
ice and snow from adhering to both. Obviously, lining up the
holes before clamping down the binding should help, too.

Thanks for your help,
Victor

Old February 5th 05, 10:16 AM
Gary S.

On 4 Feb 2005 20:45:30 -0800, wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar with what I believe are
called "smiley plates", a simple metal plate that lines up with
the pin holes on the boot sole and is screwed into the sole. I
noticed that the pin holes on my boots are starting to show some
wear, and was hoping to be able to get through the season without
tearing them out. The local shops didn't seem to know to where I
should turn. I searched this group, and came up with a reference
to them back in 1996, so they may have, like the Rainey Cable
Traks, gone the way of the dinosaur. Is there anything that I can
do to minimize further damage to the pin holes? I was thinking
of spraying the holes and the pins with silicone just to prevent
ice and snow from adhering to both. Obviously, lining up the
holes before clamping down the binding should help, too.

They have faded as cable bindings have become more common. The tearout
is caused by a combination of greater twisting stresses in backcountry
use, and poor alignment in the binding.

Some specialized online dealers may have them, but not the sort of
thing to be listed in a catalog, paper or online.

Also, many boot models have added a similar plate molded inside the
sole. BC bindings use longer pins than the older style 3 pin bindings.

Spraying silicone on the sole may not be wise if you plan on walking
in the boots, as they can lose all grip on smooth surfaces other than
ice, and no good way to remove the silicone from the sole.

Care in removing ice/snow from critical areas , and in aligning boot
to binding is the best way to minimize this short term, and long term
you should look to changing to a cable binding.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old February 7th 05, 02:44 PM
crb

I recently ordered a bunch of smiley plates online from
www.akers-ski.com. If they no longer carry them, my smiley package
says they are made by www.libertymtn.com. But I believe they are not
being made anymore. They certainly help getting into 3-pins...much
easier to feel when your in the pins with no pin hole destruction.

I took a dremel and routered a shallow depression in the boot so they
sit flush with the sole, then glued and screwed them in. Works like a
charm.

Stickboy