Jay T's Next Master Skier Article Contest

Old August 20th 04, 09:11 PM
Jay Tegeder

Default Jay T's Next Master Skier Article Contest

Hi fellow RSN subscribers! I'm doing something different for my next
Master Skier Article... I'm having a contest right here on RSN for one
of you to pick the topic, subject matter, etc of my next Master Skier
Article in the upcoming Pre Season Issue. The winning contestant will
get 1/2 of my check and recognition in the article. I will even
describe the contest in the article. This is of course dependent upon
whether they publish the article or not. Please post your answers
right on this subject line.

Jay Tegeder
"On the
Old August 22nd 04, 01:39 AM
32 degrees

Since many master skiers are either coaches OR parents of young skiers...
how about the latest in training young skiers?

Many young skiers in high school are skiers only for the winter.. they play
fall football, soccer or run XC they work a lot in the summer, and in the
spring they are ... well, who knows...

How can you train a semi-serious young skier to do well in 4 months
(november - feb)

Jeff K.

Old August 22nd 04, 03:27 PM
Jeff Potter

Eric Shmo Chandler wrote:

[ ]

4)Why hasn't XC skiing shown the same progression as American cycling?
Greg Lemond spawns Lance, Bobby, Tyler, Levi etc. How come the bounce
from KOch only lasted until the early 80's and it's been a drought
until recently?

OK, JT cleared it up that he covers the natl race scene, not tech, etc.

I like Eric's idea but I have a more specific take on it...

Why hasn't US XC followed up on Koch, its early champ, like US cycling did with Greg? Follow the money! --The
private money, that is. Greg was bankrolled by businessman Fred Mengoni. Lance got huge support from banker Thom
Weisel. Is there an angel in the wings for US XC? Here are profiles of 3 up-and-coming private backers of US
XC...

(Whew, who knew I could be punchy and brief?)

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old August 23rd 04, 05:36 PM
Jeff Potter

Jeff Potter wrote in message ...
[ ]
Why hasn't US XC followed up on Koch, its early champ, like US cycling did with Greg? Follow the money! --The
private money, that is. Greg was bankrolled by businessman Fred Mengoni. Lance got huge support from banker Thom
Weisel. Is there an angel in the wings for US XC? Here are profiles of 3 up-and-coming private backers of US
XC...

....Will an enthusiastic millionaire sponsor be the final link in the
chain that gives the US its first gold medal and boosts US XC into the
limelight?

[I'd kinda neglected to give my theme an explicit summary.]

--JP
Old August 23rd 04, 05:39 PM
Jeff Potter

[Doh... I'll try again... Sorry for being fussy...]

As with US cycling, will an enthusiastic millionaire sponsor be the
final link in the
chain that gives the US its first world champion and puts XC into the
national
spotlight?

--JP
Old August 29th 04, 04:48 PM
Jay Tegeder

Top post... Be warned...

Nobody won the contest since only a few entered. I didn't want to
mention it on the newsgroup but some of the other prizes for the
winning article suggestion were a new pair of Fischer Classic Crown
skis, a new cabin in the Seely Highlands by the Birkie Trail and a
brand new Chevrolet Suburban 4WD SUV to haul all of your ski gear to
the races. Anyway, the contest is officially over. My next article, if
accepted, will appear in the next issue of the Master Skier. There are
no guarantees though since there are so many great nordic ski writers
out there like Torbjorn Karlsen, Rob Bradlee, Lee Borowski, Ian
Harvey, Zach Caldwell, Frank Lundeen, John Aalberg, Pete Vordenberg
and Bob and Nancy Gregg.

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT

Old August 29th 04, 05:41 PM
Gary Jacobson

I want to register a protest.
I was on vacation when thwe contest was anounced and had no access to a
computer, therefore not all contestants had an equal chance.
I know you a fair minded guy, and will extend the contest to acomodate me.
And I know you have good sesne and will take my suggestion, and will name me
the winner.

My suggestion is an article on the multiple gold medal World Loppet skiers.
Those guys that have skied the entire series between 8 and 15 times.
Who are they? What are their lives like? Why do they do what they do? (I
know some of the answers and it would make good reading.)

Or do an English language article about that guy in Oslo who skis a zillion
K's a year at Holmenkollen.

Don't need a set of Crowns- already have them. I've asked Zach to find me a
pair of waxless. Maybe you could just reimburse him.
Would rather have a cabin in Maine. Seely Highlands is a two day drive at
least.
How about a Toyota hybrid?- Maybe the Highlander.

Just contact me offline. I wouldn't want to take up newsgroup space with
drivel.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

om...

Old August 29th 04, 11:53 PM
32 degrees

Why didnt I think of this before !!!!???????

Do an article on RSN !!!!!!!

So few use it, relatively speaking, so it might open people's eyes up to a
whole new world of nordic ski information !

JK

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Skier Visits Numbers for Europe and Japan? Dale European Ski Resorts 6 June 11th 04 02:33 PM
XC race pics in ads and Master Skier? Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 0 March 4th 04 05:03 PM
Old SB Life article D Snowboarding 6 January 24th 04 02:28 PM
Skier of the Impossible John Red-Horse Alpine Skiing 0 July 1st 03 03:48 PM