SLC resorts logistics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 1st 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.alpine

Default SLC resorts logistics

My son, my brother-in-law, and I will be in Salt Lake City over the
Presidents Day holiday in February 2007. We will have three full days
on the slopes -- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We'll be staying at the
Embassy Suites hotel in downtown SLC. Everything's booked and the
multiday lift tickets have been purchased.

My son and I are snowboarders. We've been riding for only a few years
in the eastern U.S. Freeride only; no interest in pipes or parks. We
wouldn't be attempting anything above a blue in Utah. (Our past
experience in the west -- Lake Louise/Banff -- revealed that greens out
there are often the equivalent of blues back here.) My brother-in-law
is a skier with a lot more experience. He skis blacks in the east; I'm
not sure how his abilities will translate to western powder, but he
typically likes long, fast runs. Not a bumps fan.

Our general plan is to make Snowbird the priority; my brother-in-law is
keen to visit that resort. We'll probably go there for two days. I
would like to go to another resort for one day (but no more than that)
-- almost certainly Brighton since it offers night sessions and seems
to generate more enthusiasm among Internet snowsport types than
Solitude. Maybe my brother-in-law will go to Alta for a day if we go to
Brighton; that'll be up to him.

Questions:
1. I've read that Brighton should be avoided on Saturdays because it
gets quite crowded from turnout by the locals, but that Sundays are
better because people attend church. True? I realize that the entire
weekend is going to be very busy because it's a holiday; I'm just
looking for whatever edge remains.
2. How long does it take the free ski bus to get from downtown SLC to
the four Cottonwood Canyon resorts? Is there a direct bus to each
resort, or is transferring necessary? What time do the buses stop
running the return trips from the resorts to SLC? We would like to
avoid renting a car since there's already a free shuttle from the
airport to the hotel. If the ski bus is adequate, that would seem the
way to go.
3. Comments/suggestions on anything else would be welcomed.

Thanks a lot,

Joe Ramirez

Tahoe resorts Mike Mather Snowboarding 5 November 2nd 06 01:32 PM
Purchasing Ski Resorts funkraum European Ski Resorts 24 March 13th 05 10:43 PM
Tahoe area resorts, how does Boreal stack up? Lisa Horton Alpine Skiing 2 April 23rd 04 04:54 PM
Suggestions on ski resorts around Englewood, ma (zip 02673) Y North American Ski Resorts 0 February 17th 04 01:35 AM
Season pass for multiple resorts Alan van Wyk European Ski Resorts 6 November 25th 03 08:42 PM