My pictures, Loveland, 29-Nov-03

Old December 1st 03, 04:54 PM
AstroPax

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:33:10 CST, Sam Seiber
wrote:

I was showing off my camera to a guy in the bar

The "Rathskeller". That has to be on of the most prolific names for a
ski bar.

I seem to remember getting blitzed once in a "Rathskeller" up at Taos
Ski Valley.

-Astro

Old December 1st 03, 05:53 PM
Sam Seiber

Chester Bullock wrote:
Sam - I just looked at your pics (taking a week off, even if part of it
is a holiday, sure can set you back a bit). Are you sure that is their
official stake? Generally speaking, the official mid-mountain snow
depth is reported from a stake that is in a small clearing surrounded by
trees, to present a snowdepth that is mostly unaffected by wind and
skiers (hence the unpacked mid-mountain snow depth that they used to
call it). At Copper, the stake is (or was) in the general vicinity of
the base of the S lift. I would think Loveland has something similar.
Your pic looks to be next to a lift maze...

I am pretty sure it is "the" stick. It is within some trees, and they
have ropes around the weather station. It is about half way up
the mountain. There are also three three foot sticks mounted on a
plywood base. One stick is marked AM, and another is PM. That makes
sense, as there is the morning & afternoon official Colorado snow
reports.
Donno about the third stick. I do know later in the season, the
reported snow depth does agree with this stick (well, within an inch
or two. I go by there several hours after they go by it for the morning
report). There are always fresh "Ski-Do" tracks that go right by this
place.
This has got to be it.

Sam "Checkin' the snow depth myself" Seiber

Old December 2nd 03, 08:40 AM
Chester Bullock

Sam Seiber wrote:

Chester Bullock wrote:

[...]

From your description, it does sound like the place. The ropes threw
me off, looked like part of a lift maze...
--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old December 2nd 03, 08:54 AM
The Real Bev

Chester Bullock wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Sam Seiber wrote:

This last update shows the stake showing 17", while their
official report says 25". Interesting. I just wonder when
they have to report the real base.

A couple of days ago the Snow Summit report here said no snowmaking, no
new snow, and the current depth was 6" more than the previous day's.
Perhaps some sort of gravitational anomaly...

I think last year I called it magic snow. I have already seen an
instance or 2 of it in this years snow reports here in Colorado...

Consider the possibility of vulcanism and the growth of a cone beneath
the snow. If they are using some sort of satellite/laser high-tech
method of measuring, it's entirely possible that this could be read as
an increase in snow depth. Error, not sin. It could happen.

--
Cheers, Bev
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

Old December 2nd 03, 01:08 PM
Sam Seiber

Walt wrote:

Nice pics, Sam. Keep it up and you may wind up collecting more "bite
me"s than Astro.

I have been thinking about this all day. Is getting too many "bite
me's"
a good thing or a bad thing?

Sadly, the season has yet to start round here. Maybe this weekend?
I'm still planning to dedicate the first couple of runs to Mike S.

We aren't up to speed here on the front range of Denver, but I am
thankful that I have something to play on. I have been praying
to Ullr to deliver the goods. A friend of mine at the day job reported
ugly lines at Breck for Friday 11/28. Claims he won't be going up
on the Friday after Thxgiving ever again. Loveland on Saturday,
oh, 2 minutes was the biggie. If anyone is thinking of going to
Loveland, remember, it is very cold and windy there all the time,
except for last Saturday.

--
//-Walt
//

Have I mentioned yet today how much I enjoy my new Volkls? Damn
fun to ride on.

Sam "Volkls+Loveland=Mucho Fun!" Seiber

Old December 2nd 03, 08:29 PM
The Real Bev

Sam Seiber wrote:

Walt wrote:

Nice pics, Sam. Keep it up and you may wind up collecting more "bite
me"s than Astro.

I have been thinking about this all day. Is getting too many "bite
me's" a good thing or a bad thing?

Like money or beauty, there is no such thing as 'too many.'

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old December 3rd 03, 01:10 PM
Brad

loveland's official measuring station is in forest meadow b/w chairs 1 and 6

Old December 3rd 03, 10:28 PM

Hey Sam, thanks for the great photos. Man, Loveland rules!!! Are you
sure you werent in the Alps? Wild Child looks skiable from your
pictures and the Rathskeller, totally cool. As for the snow stake,
you have to relise that the wind can move the snow aroud dramatically,
especially at Loveland. Thanks for providing a public service, but
dont forget to continually remind people how windy and cold Loveland
is. Peace T.