Speaking of stuff falling off a lift . . . .

Old January 8th 04, 10:57 PM
JKirby

Default Speaking of stuff falling off a lift . . . .

Anybody ever have an unexpected/impromptu chair exit due to an
operator? I've only had one but it was really my choice:

I fell (jumped) off a lift at Meadows once. I was riding solo and two
kids went down on the exit ramp, got all tangled up and didn't get off
the ramp. The lift kept moving. To get off then would have meant
putting my board down right where they were sprawled out on the ice.
The liftie didn't see anything as he was talking to a chica behind his
booth. I rode my seat to the pole where it turned around to head back
down the hill, strapped in my back foot and bailed off into the fluffy
stuff next to where others were strapping in. It was only a soft 10'
drop at that point with no runout potential, but I did surprise a few
people in the area (its actually illegal at Meadows to jump from the
lift). Some riders three chairs back finally yelled at the liftie and
he stopped the lift (~5-10 sec) after I went unnoticed over the exit
ramp. The kids finally got clear of the ramp but people on a couple
of chairs made the round trip on the chair while I made the trip on
the groomers.

Anyone else ever run into anything like this?
Old January 8th 04, 11:43 PM
Mike T

Anyone else ever run into anything like this?

Mt Hood Meadows? I can't count the number of times I've had to do
interesting things to avoid people who crashed getting off Mt Hood
Express (and Daisy a few times) but nothing *that* interesting!

Old January 9th 04, 12:42 PM
WeatherCam

:

Anyone else ever run into anything like this?

I've purposely jumped off a lift twice. It's not always easy to do
because the direction of the lift is rarely the direction of the slope
that you're landing on and want to ride away on. Still it was amusing at
the time, but I was young and impetuous back then (I think the last time
was 5 years ago).

Brings back memories - yonks ago in my skiing days, just on a chair lift,
frigging around and my beloved Rayban Tortoshell Wayfairers fell off - so I
was damned if I was going to let someone else find them, so much to the
surprise of the person next to me, raised bar and leapt off, though damn
site easier on two planks!!!

Regards
WC

Old January 9th 04, 03:15 PM
JKirby

"Mike T" wrote in message ...
Anyone else ever run into anything like this?

Mt Hood Meadows? I can't count the number of times I've had to do
interesting things to avoid people who crashed getting off Mt Hood
Express (and Daisy a few times) but nothing *that* interesting!

Yup Mt. Hood Meadows. I was actually riding Daisy when this happened.
I've never had to do anything odd to get off the Mt. Hood Express,
but the blue chair can be really sketchy.
Old January 9th 04, 04:08 PM
Mike T

I've never had to do anything odd to get off the Mt. Hood Express,

This happens to me on almost any given sunny weekend day -
someone a few chairs ahead of me is looking at the scenery and not
paying attention to getting off the lift, so is the liftie, everyone
piles up getting off, and the liftie doesn't notice for two or three
chairs...

but the blue chair can be really sketchy.

That thing is awful!

Old January 9th 04, 05:40 PM
Jason Watkins

Mt Hood Meadows? I can't count the number of times I've had to do
interesting things to avoid people who crashed getting off Mt Hood
Express (and Daisy a few times) but nothing *that* interesting!

No kidding... night ski there is the worst... people just pile up on
the ramp and just start laughing at eachother instead of getting out
of the way.

But the king of it all has got to be when night ski novice riders take
the blue chair, somehow thinking it's less intimidating than that 4
seat express... that's pure commedy... and they rarely bother to slow
down the lift no matter how big the pile at the end of the ramp is.
Old January 10th 04, 10:29 PM
Jason Watkins

Yup, they have signs on the lift poles at Meadows saying it is
illegal. I beleive the signs say it is a Hood River County ordinance.
This probably makes it much more likely to happen given the number of
thrill seekers on the hill.

Well, especially at meadows there's that one spot 1/2 up express
that's perfect for droping. You don't have to rotate 180 like most
other spots I've seen. So it's probibly exceptional. Most places I
think it's a lot like ducking the rope: as long as you don't cause a
problem, no one's really gonna care.
Old January 13th 04, 07:08 PM
Bob

"Jason Watkins" wrote in message
om...
Yup, they have signs on the lift poles at Meadows saying it

is
illegal. I beleive the signs say it is a Hood River County

ordinance.
This probably makes it much more likely to happen given the

number of
thrill seekers on the hill.

Well, especially at meadows there's that one spot 1/2 up

express
that's perfect for droping. You don't have to rotate 180 like

most
other spots I've seen. So it's probibly exceptional. Most

places I
think it's a lot like ducking the rope: as long as you don't

cause a
problem, no one's really gonna care.

If they see you they probably will. Or, if the person next to you
falls off due to the bouncing chair, or the cable derails.

Bob