Quebec / Le Massif / Mt Saint Anne tips....

Old November 27th 05, 10:08 PM

Default Quebec / Le Massif / Mt Saint Anne tips....

Hi,

Going off to Quebec early March next year and wanted to go to Le Massif and
possible Mt Saint-Anne skiing... Is there enough between the two resorts to
keep us happy for a week or so? Happy on all european reds, and most blacks
too. Any other areas around there worth a visit?

Also, has anyone got any top tips about a good place to stay
(town/village?!) which would be a good base? With a day trip or two to
Quebec city too? And preferably self-catering maybe as well?!?!

Also, I'm wondering what would a drive to Montreal be like at that time of
year? Treacharous? A bad idea? Easy? That's where we're flying out of - so
wondering whether to have a nice scenic(?) drive, or maybe it's better just
getting a cheap flight?!

Hwyl!
Geraint.

Old December 2nd 05, 12:02 PM

geraint wrote:
[...]

Both of these areas are great. I like Le Massif it has great terrain.
Usually has good snow. The view is spectacular as you are perched right
over the Gulf of St-Laurent. It also has the best on hill food I have
ever seen @ a ski resort. It is quite economical to stay a bit further
up the road in Baie St-Paul. It's a nice town with resonable hotels and
some good brew pubs. The area is quite scenic and there is a large
population of local artisans.

For Mte. Ste-Anne There are plenty of slopeside condos and a hotel.
These I find most convienient. Depending on the size of your party. A
condo may be the best bet. Some of the hotel rooms have kitchenettes so
if your just a couple you can make out alright. The historical city of
Quebec is about 40 minutes from Ste-Anne. But as you are coming from
Europe the "old-world" abiance may not be a big draw for you. If the
snow isn't great then Ste-Anne has superior snow making.

Montreal is a couple of hours drive from Quebec City. The drive is not
to spectacular. The weather can be an issue. The roads could be dry
and bare. Or you could get a total white out where you cant even see
the road.... or ditch... or bugger all else. Freezing rain is another
common nasty travel headache. If you have a lot of winter driving
experience it is less of an issue.

Old December 3rd 05, 05:26 PM

Hi:
I'm going to this area over the new year's holiday, and was becoming
concerned over folks telling me that the mountains are rather icy. This
would be my third trip and only my second year snowboarding and I am going
with some guys for whom this would be their first time around. Had read and
was becoming inclined to choosing Stoneham.

What do you think of Stoneham versus the other nearby mountains for new
riders; I myself had begun to venture into blue slopes towards the end of my
last trip. Having started snowboarding on the west coast(vail and whistler)
how do you think that fairly novice riders would do in these mountains?

Thanks

Fernando

Old December 7th 05, 12:06 PM

Hi Fernando;

From a western perspective the East is just generally icy no matter
where you go. I've skied "Icy" conditions out west and in Europe and to
an eastern skier there are just considered firm surfaces.

As you have some new riders with you on your trip. I would skip Le
Massif. There isn't enough beginner and lower intermediate terrain.

Sorry to say I have not skied @ Stoneham. I've heard good things about it.

The trick is to get out and enjoy while the snow is at its best. Both
Saint Anne and Stonham have night skiing. Get to know the grooming
schedule. Get out first thing in the morning. Then stop if the
conditions start to get bad. They usually groom the slopes again for
night skiing so you can head out and get some more turns in....

Of course I'm hoping for a winter with abundant snow. If the snow
coverage is minimal we will just have to hope for the best.

Warren