People that ski once than quit

Old December 11th 03, 01:03 PM
Kenny

Default People that ski once than quit

I have spoken to some of my friends about skiing. a few of them said to me
that they ski once.... then quit. Reason?

Their friends or husband gave them 10 minutes of instruction on the bunny
hill and then took them to the top of the mountain and tell them to
go...........They were scared out of their mind never wanted to ski again.

Why? Why? Why are some people have to do this to others? expecially the
husbands......

Kenny @ NH

Old December 11th 03, 02:13 PM
Walt

Kenny wrote:

I have spoken to some of my friends about skiing. a few of them said to me
that they ski once.... then quit. Reason?

Their friends or husband gave them 10 minutes of instruction on the bunny
hill and then took them to the top of the mountain and tell them to
go...........They were scared out of their mind never wanted to ski again.

Why? Why? Why are some people have to do this to others? expecially the
husbands......

Skiing is one of those very easy natural things like riding a bicycle or
playing the piano or speaking English. Once you get the hang of it it's
tough to even imagine that anybody could ever have difficulty. You
just do it - what's so friggin hard?

Of course, for the non-bicycle riding, non-piano playing and non_English
speaking populations, these things are not easy or natural. Quite the
opposite.

I went skiing once, and didn't try it a second time for over 30 years.

--
//-Walt
//
Old December 11th 03, 07:36 PM
John

"Kenny" wrote in message et...
I have spoken to some of my friends about skiing. a few of them said to me
that they ski once.... then quit. Reason?

Their friends or husband gave them 10 minutes of instruction on the bunny
hill and then took them to the top of the mountain and tell them to
go...........They were scared out of their mind never wanted to ski again.

Why? Why? Why are some people have to do this to others? expecially the
husbands......

Kenny @ NH

Most people should avoid teaching freinds, gf, husbands, wives, ect.
Even if you are qualified you do not want the argument on the slopes
to carry over to the bars or the bedroom. Furthermore, a ski
instructor who is used to teaching begginers can almost always do a
better job then you can. Lastly, pay 20 bucks for their lesson so
that you actually have fun skiing real terrain.
Old December 11th 03, 08:14 PM
The Real Bev

Kenny wrote:

I have spoken to some of my friends about skiing. a few of them said to me
that they ski once.... then quit. Reason?

Their friends or husband gave them 10 minutes of instruction on the bunny
hill and then took them to the top of the mountain and tell them to
go...........They were scared out of their mind never wanted to ski again.

Why? Why? Why are some people have to do this to others? expecially the
husbands......

They do it to friends, too. I rode up to the top of the long blue run
with a couple of guys, one of whom knew what he was doing and the other
of whom said he had skied once, maybe 15 years ago when he was a kid.
Experienced guy said the usual "Don't worry, it's easy..." stupid thing
that people like that say. Inexperienced guy fell getting off the
chair, of course. Fortunately I missed him. Also fortunately there was
a patroller at the top and I asked him to keep an eye on the victim.

People can be real ****s sometimes.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old December 11th 03, 10:03 PM
Mary Malmros

"Kenny" writes:

I have spoken to some of my friends about skiing. a few of them said to me
that they ski once.... then quit. Reason?

Their friends or husband gave them 10 minutes of instruction on the bunny
hill and then took them to the top of the mountain and tell them to
go...........They were scared out of their mind never wanted to ski again.

Actually, in most of the horror stories I've heard, they didn't even
get the ten minutes on the bunny slope.

Why? Why? Why are some people have to do this to others? expecially the
husbands......

In many systems of karate, the rank of green belt is achieved after
about a year of training, maybe a little less. There's a saying in
karate: "No one knows as much about karate as a green belt. Just
ask one."

Think about it...

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros
Old December 12th 03, 12:08 AM
scottabe

in article
cGhhdHBoaWw=.dd81bd97aaa9ddb39aeb7eeaf2c2ca2d@1071 190752.cotse.net, Larry
Love at loveadvisortothestars-no-spam@com wrote on 12/11/03 4:59 PM:

scottabe wrote:

snip the brainfart

?

Your brainfart. I thought you dumb****s loved smelling your own?

Old December 12th 03, 07:34 AM
foot2foot

"Kenny" wrote in message
t...
I have spoken to some of my friends about skiing. a few of them said to me
that they ski once.... then quit. Reason?

Their friends or husband gave them 10 minutes of instruction on the bunny
hill and then took them to the top of the mountain and tell them to
go...........They were scared out of their mind never wanted to ski again.

Why? Why? Why are some people have to do this to others? expecially the
husbands......

Kenny @ NH

If friends and husbands knew of the simple way to
teach others to ski, the friends and spouses, etc.,
*would* learn to ski quickly (including the blue slopes)
and would most likely continue.

However,

The statistic is from the National Ski Areas Association
I believe. The statistic is two or three years old, and
actually showed that 80-90 some percent of the people
that *took a ski lesson* for the first time, did not return.

The reason? They got bored. Why? The instructors didn't
get them up and skiing fast enough. General Managers
of resorts began demanding that beginners be able to ski
blue slopes within two to six hours, or they would find
a new director for the ski school.

PSIA's beginner progression (the same that produced the
80+ percent failure in the first place) *still*hasn't changed
though.

Resorts that are making the two to six hour goal with
students are either using short skis, or some adaptation
of Schrittbogen. In other words, they ignore the PSIA
beginner progression, while being as secretive as possible
about it.

Another strategy is to sell a three day package to the
beginner, but still, that's six hours at the most of
teaching that must be enough to get the student able
to ski "the whole mountain" (the blue slopes).

If the student isn't at least capable by the end of that
time, there is a good chance they'll just give up. If you

Old December 12th 03, 12:44 PM
Ron N.Y

I laugh every time I think about my 1st time . My friend gave me a 10 minute ski lesson on the ground and took me right on
the lift . I was more scared of getting on & off the lift than I was at the thought of trying to ski . When I got off , or
fell off at the top , I was told to snowplow to slow down and make lots of turns , that was it , your ready , give it a try .
Well I spent more time sliding down on my ass and face than on my skis . Every bone and muscle in my body ached and I felt
like I was beaten up . But I think the sound of people laughing at me is what inspired me to learn . Now I love to ski and
keep up with my friend pretty good . But I will admit that out of the whole bus load of beginners we went on on that 1st trip
, I was the only one who stuck with it . And till this day I still keep wondering if I should take a lesson ...... nahhhhhh
Ron