New Steady Ski

Old January 2nd 05, 06:01 PM

Default New Steady Ski

Here's another unsolicited testimonial for _The New Steady Ski_ by Doug
Garfield (if there are any RSN readers who aren't already sold).

Last December or so I posted to RSN lower back pain when d/p; my
back would hurt intermittently after 25-30 minutes.

Over the summer / fall I've been doing the stabilization circuits from
_TNSS_ as well as core strength in the weight room and a lot of
stretching.

The result: lower back pain from d/p hasn't returned, even when skiing
on fairly flat trails 2+ hours. My back feels better than it has in
years.

Derick

Old January 2nd 05, 06:32 PM
JCZ

This is great Derick. I'm glad you got stronger and can ski
comfortably now.

June

oups.com...

Old January 4th 05, 04:57 PM
Camilo

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's another unsolicited testimonial for _The New Steady Ski_ by Doug
Garfield (if there are any RSN readers who aren't already sold).

Last December or so I posted to RSN lower back pain when d/p; my
back would hurt intermittently after 25-30 minutes.

Over the summer / fall I've been doing the stabilization circuits from
_TNSS_ as well as core strength in the weight room and a lot of
stretching.

The result: lower back pain from d/p hasn't returned, even when skiing
on fairly flat trails 2+ hours. My back feels better than it has in
years.

Derick

This is not meant in any way as a cut on The New Steady Ski (haven't read
it) or your experience. But it sounds like you've done what any physical
therapist, or guide to lower back pain, would have prescribed for lower back
pain - strengthening of the abs and other muscles supporting the spine
(called the "core" by skiers) as well as the importance of stretching. I
just mean to encourage anyone who has lower back pain which is exacerbated
by skiing (classic techniques, especially DP for me). If you do some real
basic exercises that strengthen the abs especially, but also the lower back
muscles, etc. and also concentrate on increasing flexibility - that will
greatly reduce your pain and stiffness. It sounds like the philosophy of
the book coincides real nicely with basic back care. This is a complement,
not a criticism. Just another example of the complete benefit of XC skiing.

Me? I notice a lot of improvement of the background aches and pains I have
in my back and knees (aging!) during ski season.

Cam