Mont Tremblant, Canada

Old November 8th 04, 03:29 PM
Katie Katie is offline
Junior Member

Default Mont Tremblant, Canada

We are booked to ski in Mont Tremblant in January 2005. Have never skied there before - does anyone have recommendations, suggestion or warnings?
Old November 8th 04, 09:07 PM
Joe Roach

--
Katie

We (2 adults + 3 kids) were there in 2002.
- The transfer bus usually stops at a supermarket on the way to the resort.
I would take the chance to stock up on wine, cheese, sweets whatever because
the resort store/hut is pretty small.
- The kids loved the breakfast in the Le Shack (waffles, pancakes, maple
syrup etc).
- It can get very cold. -25C at resort level isn't uncommon and it gets
colder with the wind at the top. We had taken face masks "just in case" and
ended up wearing them all the time. Foot and hand warmers are a good idea.
- Lift queues at the weekend can be long but are fine Monday to Friday.
- The restaurants can get busy in the evening; getting seated early is
recommended.
We liked Tremblant; the kids loved it (the breakfasts and the Nintendo games
in the condo room swung it for them).

Joe

Old November 9th 04, 08:23 AM
Stan Mullery

We went there in the half term in 2002.

"Centre Parcs on ice"

The accomodations are all excellent but the bulk of the eateries are
owned by "the Company" and so there is no competition. There are one
or two proper restaurants. It's only a dollar each way on the bus
into town to stock up at the supermarket. In resort there's only one
little cabin, not really much use.

Slopes are great but cold. You'll end up wearing a mask all the time.
DO take advantage of ski-mobile safaris, ice skating on the lake,
float plane rides around the area etc. It really shows the difference
between Canada and the Alps.

Personally I would ski all the time because of the cold and not stand
around in lessons. As with all resorts, observe the peak time for
uplift both in the morning and after lunch and then avoid it and you
will have no problem with queues.

If you have an evening flight back you may be offered a "day in
Montreal". Don't. At that time of year it's just another grey city,
cold and damp. Better to "do something" after you check out your room
at noon.

Would I go again? Yes. It will work out less expensive than the Alps
and value for money is excellent. Other than essentials like ski
masks, warmers etc. don't buy in resort but go into town.

Stan

Old November 9th 04, 04:01 PM
Steve Pardoe

Hi, all,

"Stan Mullery" wrote in message

Would I go again? Yes. It will work out less expensive than the Alps
and value for money is excellent. Other than essentials like ski
masks, warmers etc. don't buy in resort but go into town.

We really enjoyed Breckenridge last January, even though it was cold.
However, for the coming season (despite the weak US dollar) I'm even more
put off by the absurd delays and immigration process into the USA, and may
consider Canada.

How do prices for lift passes and ski hire (we have our boots) compare,
anyone?

Thanks,

Steve Pardoe

Old November 10th 04, 04:20 PM
mike

"Steve Pardoe" wrote in message
Hi, all,

snip...Breckenridge ...
..... the USA,
......Canada ...snip

wrong newsgroup! - how about trying rec.skiing.resorts.north-america ???????

Mike

Old November 10th 04, 04:35 PM
Ace

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:20:25 +0000 (UTC), "mike"
wrote:

"Steve Pardoe" wrote in message
Hi, all,

snip...Breckenridge ...
.... the USA,
.....Canada ...snip

wrong newsgroup! - how about trying rec.skiing.resorts.north-america ???????

Well she might get a larger volume of response over there, but
personally I've no objection to her posting it here too. It's not as
if we're inundated by posting numbers.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old November 11th 04, 03:17 PM
Steve Pardoe

"mike" wrote in message

"Steve Pardoe" wrote in message
Hi, all,

snip...Breckenridge ...
.... the USA,
.....Canada ...snip

wrong newsgroup! - how about trying rec.skiing.resorts.north-america

???????

Wrong article! - how about chastising the OP? ;-)

Sorry if I've misposted, but I've found US-dominated groups too tedious for
words. At least sense seems the order of the day in this group.

Steve